Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    4. 17.5M doesn't get you that much on the open market. Jose Reyes would get just a good a contract right now.
    Perhaps. But unless he would get sometohnmg quite a bit better, his trade value may be very limited over and above taking on his salary.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I should also note that there is a great deal of speculation about continued increasing revenue streams for baseball. On Baseball prospectus there is some thought inflation and such increasing salaries by 20% by 2014.

I think at this point if you can get a good player locked into a salary for multiple years he's going to have heavy value relative to the market. Presumably why the Dodgers would even consider doing what they are doing.

Sure the Jays aren't going to get a lot of value from the Buerhle and Buck contracts, but they did need major league pitchers. They had about 5 pitchers above replacement value last year. They needed a starter, and you can say what you want about Buerhle, but he is a major league starter and would probably get a deal sniffing his current one via free agency. Not the worst contract to buy considering his health record. Buck is an adequate major league catcher and can probably be dumped relatively easily if they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I mean, the guy killed the Expos and baseball's market in Montreal for good. They are really going to let him do the same in Miami?

Also, the Reds should be asking about Bonifacio.
    he also helped push up the price of the O's at sale and that carried over to the whole game before the game was ready

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Perhaps. But unless he would get sometohnmg quite a bit better, his trade value may be very limited over and above taking on his salary.
    It's not that easy to get a Jose Reyes.

If Reyes were making $0 per year, you would likely have to give up your top 4-5 prospects to get him.

At some point, there are only 5 guys on the planet who can do what Reyes can do, and there is essentially only one avenue to get a Jose Reyes (for the Jays - via trade, or you hope to get lucky with a prospect). It's not like if they keep their 17M they are going to get a different Jose Reyes, or sign 3 guys who add up to a Jose Reyes. They just added a guy who is likely their best player and should be fore multiple years. These guys dont grow on trees for Toronto.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

So, let's see....the Marlins have traded away in this past year....

Hanley Ramirez
    Randy Choate
    Edward Mujica
    Gaby Sanchez
    Kyle Kaminska
    Heath Bell
    Anibel Sanchez
    Omar Infante
    Jose Reyes
    Josh Johnson
    Mark Buehrle
    John Buck
    Emilio Bonifacio

Am I missing anyone? Good lord. Contract that team is right. Sheesh!
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 11-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

7:14pm: As it stands now, the Marlins will send right-hander Josh Johnson, left-hander Mark Buehrle, shortstop Jose Reyes, outfielder Emilio Bonifacio, and catcher John Buck for shortstop Yunel Escobar, infielder Adeiny Hechavarria, right-hander Henderson Alvarez, left-hander Justin Nicolino, outfielder Jake Marisnick, catcher Jeff Mathis, and right-hander Anthony DeSclafani, tweets Morosi.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#70ODKXxubBJUdftB.99
    Plus the M's are sending 4 million to the Jays too.
    Two words. In. Sane.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    One thing that hasn't been discussed here yet, is how likely it now looks that the Jays will compete in the AL east next year.

How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

(For the record, this is the FIRST time I've ever used this internal RZ meme).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    It's not even over yet either LOL
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...-go-says-execs

What a joke of a franchise they are. The big, splashy free agent signings were all a sham from the get go. He got his stadium. Now what does he care? Say what you will about Boston or the Cubs or any other number of teams, but for my money the worst run organization in baseball resides in Miami, and it isn't even that particularly close.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I really think Selig needs to step in and kill this one.

Or tell Loria he has to go.
    Loria needed to go when he killed baseball in Montreal. The fact baseball gave him the fish still burns me.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    One thing that hasn't been discussed here yet, is how likely it now looks that the Jays will compete in the AL east next year.
    J. Johnson
    B. Morrow
    Buerhle
    Drabek
    Romero

1. Reyes SS
    2. Bonifacio 2B
    3. Bautista RF
    4. Encarnacion DH
    5. Lawrie 3B
    6. Rasmus CF
    7. Lind 1B
    8. d'Arnaud/Buck C
    9. Davis LF

I would say that is a contending team.

All I have to say is that if I'm Buerhle or Reyes I am NOT a happy camper. Not to stereotype, but I'm imagine Miami had a certain appeal to Reyes in particular.

And if I'm Giancarlo Stanton, I'm telling my agent that I want to be next.

Can't wait for the inevitable, "Sure we had some bad luck, but we built you a stadium and got you good players and you fans still didn't come out. What can we say? We had no choice."
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    All I have to say is that if I'm Buerhle or Reyes I am NOT a happy camper. Not to stereotype, but I'm imagine Miami had a certain appeal to Reyes in particular.
    I'm wondering if Buehrle may ask for a trade to St. Louis as has long been rumored throughout his career instead of playing in Toronto.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

This is reminiscent of the recent BoSox dumping of big names and contracts to the Dodgers.

If I were a Marlins fan (if there are any, I've never met one), I'd be pretty hacked off.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?