Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting stat

Interesting stat

In Jayson Stark's article on espn.com, he mentioned that CC Sabathia is the first pitcher since 2003 to throw four consecutive starts on 3 days rest. The Elias Sports Bureau reports that the last pitcher to do that was... drumroll please... DANNY GRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That speaks volumes for the ineptitude of this franchise.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Interesting stat

Ah yes, the Danny Graves as a starter experiment.

Fortunately, I had forgotten about that period of time.

Unfortunately, now I remember how he was never the same after that wonderful experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ah yes, the Danny Graves as a starter experiment.

Fortunately, I had forgotten about that period of time.

Unfortunately, now I remember how he was never the same after that wonderful experiment.

He was never the same before that thus his initial insertion into the starting rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He was never the same before that thus his initial insertion into the starting rotation.
    I thought we needed another starter, so Graves was asked to try.

I thought he was effective before the experiment.

Am I misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I thought we needed another starter, so Graves was asked to try.

I thought he was effective before the experiment.

Am I misremembering?

Even the Reds weren't stupid enough to put him in the rotation on a whim or take him out of the closer's role if he was effective. He was not doing well as a closer so in the middle of the year the Reds put him first in long relief and then started him for several games. He had some success and the next year they put him in the rotation full time. That didn't work so they put him back in the bullpen and he never had the success he had in previous seasons.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Even the Reds weren't stupid enough to put him in the rotation on a whim or take him out of the closer's role if he was effective. He was not doing well as a closer so in the middle of the year the Reds put him first in long relief and then started him for several games. He had some success and the next year they put him in the rotation full time. That didn't work so they put him back in the bullpen and he never had the success he had in previous seasons.
    Gotcha, thank you sir.

CC didn't fare so hot against the Phillies. Odd coincidence I suppose...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danny was to be our Derrek Lowe. That prediction was made many times on here before the 2003 season IIRC.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Danny was to be our Derrek Lowe. That prediction was made many times on here before the 2003 season IIRC.
    I always love to toot my own horn, but I was one of the few against the whole thing.

Yes, I rock.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    CC didn't fare so hot against the Phillies. Odd coincidence I suppose...
    Or he could have just had a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Or he could have just had a bad game.
    Well, it doesn't look like we'll get to see him pitch again. The Brewers did what they had to do to get in to the playoffs, so you can't really fault them for it. I just don't think it's a coincidence that after such heavy usage he experienced control problems (only 55/98 strikes, 4 BB). Obviously the usage wasn't the sole determinant, but I think it's fair to suggest it was a contributing factor.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well, it doesn't look like we'll get to see him pitch again. The Brewers did what they had to do to get in to the playoffs, so you can't really fault them for it. I just don't think it's a coincidence that after such heavy usage he experienced control problems (only 55/98 strikes, 4 BB). Obviously the usage wasn't the sole determinant, but I think it's fair to suggest it was a contributing factor.
    I really think you can make an argument either way with CC. His command was off, but what I saw of the game it wasn't wildly off. With the exception of the two Brett Myers at bats and the Victorino at bat CC wasn't that bad. At the same time the Brewers may have gone to the well one too many times.

I always love to toot my own horn, but I was one of the few against the whole thing.

Yes, I rock.
    Modesty is not your strong suit.

Could be. Or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In Jayson Stark's article on espn.com, he mentioned that CC Sabathia is the first pitcher since 2003 to throw four consecutive starts on 3 days rest. The Elias Sports Bureau reports that the last pitcher to do that was... drumroll please... DANNY GRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That speaks volumes for the ineptitude of this franchise.
    Why was that? Was Bob Boone playing around with a 4 man rotation or something at that time?

Turn Off Ads?