Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping in Columbus, any suggestions?

Re: Shopping in Columbus, any suggestions?

If I were you I would go to Easton. It is about 10-15 minutes from downtown and it is a little nicer than Tuttle. It is one of the newer style malls where most of the stores are stand alone and are outdoors. There are also some nice restaurantes around where you can put your name in, go shop, and stop back to eat. I would recomend the Cheesecake Factory.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Columbus has now been fully transformed into a giant corporate megaplex. Nothing but shiny new buildings and mindless drones armed with credit cards.

I've got too much invested in this town to leave, but I can see why we're suffering from a "brain drain".
    I see what you're saying, but Columbus deserves *some* credit for having neighborhoods like the Short North and German Village. The campus area, Easton, Arena District, outer burbs ets. are Generic Corporate Hell, but the Short North/Vic Village area, and German Village are wonderful, unique urban neighborhoods. Columbus is lucky to have them.

I'll say this: as a D.C. resident, I FAR prefer spending an afternoon in the Short North than Georgetown.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I see what you're saying, but Columbus deserves *some* credit for having neighborhoods like the Short North and German Village. The campus area, Easton, Arena District, outer burbs ets. are Generic Corporate Hell, but the Short North/Vic Village area, and German Village are wonderful, unique urban neighborhoods. Columbus is lucky to have them.

I'll say this: as a D.C. resident, I FAR prefer spending an afternoon in the Short North than Georgetown.
    You beat me to it. I was going to suggest German Village.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

It might be considered more suburban, but I always thought downtown Grandview was cool too, not necessarily further along 5th, which is basically strip mall central, but the actual downtown part. Cool shops and Figlio's can't be beat for wood-fire pizzas.
    No one expects the butterfly

Yeah, you guys are right. I wonder if I'm suffering from that whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing.

I live in Grandview, and I've always said that everything I need is right here. We've got a small art house theater, even.

I'm just jaded because a bunch of my friends have moved away, and I don't really relate to many of the "hipsters" I've been forced to mingle with.

.......Or I'm getting old and grumbly.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Columbus has now been fully transformed into a giant corporate megaplex. Nothing but shiny new buildings and mindless drones armed with credit cards.
    I hear they might re-brand the city and call it "Columbus: A Golfing Community brought to you by Jack Nickalous Inc."
    School's out. What did you expect?

Yeah, you guys are right. I wonder if I'm suffering from that whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing.

I live in Grandview, and I've always said that everything I need is right here. We've got a small art house theater, even.
    Yeah, Grandview is a neat place. Also, old Worthington and Dublin...lots of little boutiques and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If I were you I would go to Easton. It is about 10-15 minutes from downtown and it is a little nicer than Tuttle. It is one of the newer style malls where most of the stores are stand alone and are outdoors. There are also some nice restaurantes around where you can put your name in, go shop, and stop back to eat. I would recomend the Cheesecake Factory.
    My wife and I visited Easton last December, prior to going to a concert. We really enjoyed it. Well worth a visit if you want to shop.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

May I recommend the Westland Flea Market....fun and multi-cultural....W. Broad and Georgesville Rd. across from the vibrant Westland Mall

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    across from the vibrant Westland Mall

The only thing vibrant about Westland Mall is the rodent population.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    May I recommend the Westland Flea Market....fun and multi-cultural....W. Broad and Georgesville Rd. across from the vibrant Westland Mall
    That may well be the most depressing mall in existence. Although Eastland gives it a run for its money.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That may well be the most depressing mall in existence. Although Eastland gives it a run for its money.
    At least they did the right thing and put Northland out of its misery.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I will say this for Eastland Mall...at least it is pretty well occupied by tenants...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That may well be the most depressing mall in existence.
    I think City Center claims that title, simply because it's in a higher visibility area. Structurally, the City Center is in much better shape than Westland, but as far as commercial activity I don't know that either one has a leg up on the other. And City Center sits smack dab in the...well, city center.

Although the days of the indoor Mall are quickly going by the wayside. Polaris is opening up an open-air shopping district, and Easton was built around that concept. Tuttle Crossing could be in some serious jeopardy in the coming 5-10 years.

And the thing is, there were retail analysts who were calling this back in the mid-90s when places like Tuttle and Polaris were being constructed, and even when City Center was built. But developers like Glimcher simply wanted to get the biggest, quickest bang for the buck and erected their behemoths anyway. I have more than a few bones to pick with Easton, but at least Wexner was forward thinking enough to build a mall that wouldn't be obsolete within 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    At least they did the right thing and put Northland out of its misery.
    Actually, Polaris and Easton did that.

Turn Off Ads?