Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Me either. I'd rather take some losing with a program to get somewhere than the aimless wandering in the wilderness the Reds have done for years.
    I think I might be on board with this, too. I hate to see Dunn go, especially at this price, but maybe.... just maybe... the Reds will REALLY rebuild now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn dealt to Diamondbacks

By Hal McCoy | Monday, August 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Latest comment

And now it is a full-fledged purge. First Ken Griffey Jr., now Adam Dunn.

The Cincinnati Reds traded their power-hitting left fielder this afternoon to the Arizona Diamondbacks for three prospects — Class A pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

It is not a shock. Not even stunning.

The Reds were faced with trying to sign Dunn to a long-term contract before the season ended — and general manager Walt Jocketty does not do contracts during the season — or face losing him to free agency.

Dunn has made recent comments that while he would have liked to stay in Cincinnati, he also was looking forward to testing the free-agent market. If the Reds had lost Dunn to free agency, they would have received two first-round picks from the signing team as compensation.

Is what the Reds get now better than two first-round picks? That remains to be seen.

Dunn is tied for the major-league lead in home runs with 32, but has been in one of his batting funks lately - no home runs since Griffey was traded 10 games ago, during which time the Reds were 1-9.

They have lost 14 of their last 16 and are buried in the National League Central basement, so Jocketty obviously has determined it is time to remake the Reds in his image.

For Dunn, the Reds receive pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

Buck spilled the beans on the trade shortly after he received a call from Arizona farm director A.J. Hinch, telling him he had been traded for Dunn. Buck was traveling with the Class A Visalia Oaks and was on a bus to San Jose, Calif., when Hinch called him and he told teammates of the trade en route.

“It was kind of funny,” Buck told ESPN, “because I was rumored to be in a deal for [Mark] Teixeira, so when I just told them they all thought I was messing with them.”

Buck, 24, was 1-4 with a 3.94 ERA in nine games and eight starts with Class A South Bend. He was promoted to High Class A Visalia and made one appearance, pitching five shutout innings Thursday against San Jose. He will be assigned to Class A Sarasota.

Buck was selected by Arizona in the third round of the 2006 first-year player draft. He attended Oregon State University, where he was a member of the 2006 NCAA national championship team. He made his professional debut last season by going 4-4 with a 3.41 ERA in 16 starts with Visalia.

Dunn batted .233 with 32 home runs and 74 RBIs in 114 games this year with the Reds. The Reds have not announced who will replace Dunn on the 25-man roster.

Jocketty was on his way to the Dominican Republic immediately after the trade and could not be reached for comment.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Or he may simply be the only one who's had enough job security to do this.
    Good point. It's not like his reputation will be shattered if BCast gets in a tizzy and fires him.

Heck, BCast has Bavasi on the sidelines anyway.

Count me in the "wait and see" crowd. Walt has the experience to do what needs to be Dunn. The Reds proved after Jr was gone they were not going to make a run. I am not surprised by this. I thought it would happen before the trade deadline.
    Pennant or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I would be thrilled if the PTBNL are two top-10 prospects, but I highly doubt that will be the case.
    I'll bet it is the case. Not likely to be the top 2 guys but guys between the 3rd and 10th aren't unreasonable, especially if the cash makes Dunn payroll neutral for the DBacks this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    So far Walt is the only GM who's realized that this team, in it's current construct, was going NOWHERE.

He's the only one who's been willing to tear it down....now hopefully he can be the one to build it the right way. The GMs before him simply reshuffled deck chairs for 7 years.
    So start with the things that were going WRONG. Adam Dunn wasn't on that list.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

great trade for he Snakes ... with the loss of Hudson and their lack of power they were likely toast.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Latest comment

And now it is a full-fledged purge. First Ken Griffey Jr., now Adam Dunn.

The Cincinnati Reds traded their power-hitting left fielder this afternoon to the Arizona Diamondbacks for three prospects — Class A pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

It is not a shock. Not even stunning.

The Reds were faced with trying to sign Dunn to a long-term contract before the season ended — and general manager Walt Jocketty does not do contracts during the season — or face losing him to free agency.

Dunn has made recent comments that while he would have liked to stay in Cincinnati, he also was looking forward to testing the free-agent market. If the Reds had lost Dunn to free agency, they would have received two first-round picks from the signing team as compensation.

Is what the Reds get now better than two first-round picks? That remains to be seen.

Dunn is tied for the major-league lead in home runs with 32, but has been in one of his batting funks lately - no home runs since Griffey was traded 10 games ago, during which time the Reds were 1-9.

They have lost 14 of their last 16 and are buried in the National League Central basement, so Jocketty obviously has determined it is time to remake the Reds in his image.

For Dunn, the Reds receive pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

Buck spilled the beans on the trade shortly after he received a call from Arizona farm director A.J. Hinch, telling him he had been traded for Dunn. Buck was traveling with the Class A Visalia Oaks and was on a bus to San Jose, Calif., when Hinch called him and he told teammates of the trade en route.

“It was kind of funny,” Buck told ESPN, “because I was rumored to be in a deal for [Mark] Teixeira, so when I just told them they all thought I was messing with them.”

Buck, 24, was 1-4 with a 3.94 ERA in nine games and eight starts with Class A South Bend. He was promoted to High Class A Visalia and made one appearance, pitching five shutout innings Thursday against San Jose. He will be assigned to Class A Sarasota.

Buck was selected by Arizona in the third round of the 2006 first-year player draft. He attended Oregon State University, where he was a member of the 2006 NCAA national championship team. He made his professional debut last season by going 4-4 with a 3.41 ERA in 16 starts with Visalia.

Dunn batted .233 with 32 home runs and 74 RBIs in 114 games this year with the Reds. The Reds have not announced who will replace Dunn on the 25-man roster.

Jocketty was on his way to the Dominican Republic immediately after the trade and could not be reached for comment.

Why is he going there?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

lol what?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    great trade for he Snakes ... with the loss of Hudson and their lack of power they were likely toast.
    Only if they re-sign Dunn.

Could it be PTBNLs also because they are guys currently on the 40-man? I highly doubt Scherzer or anything close is going to be one of the guys, but who else do the D-backs really have? Who could we possibly be rooting for?
    Go BLUE!!!

Latest comment

Hopefully to finalize the deal with YR.

Walt's got a suitcase of money-- "amigos! I did not have to save up for two compensation picks! I have money! who wants to play in the major leagues quick?"

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-23-2014)

Here's an odd thought: with Griffey and Dunn being dealt the current player who's been with the Reds the longest is Aaron Harang. The second longest? Would you believe, Javier Valentin.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Dunn and cash means the Reds are going to get good players back. Maybe Parker after the August 15th timeline. I hope I don't regret this but I'm going to trust Jocketty.

Count me in on this camp.

Last edited by SirFelixCat; 08-11-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?