Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: espn.com predictions

Re: espn.com predictions

Who-da thunk that in order to get some positive things said about the Reds, we'd have to go to ESPN

I might suggest Mr. Rojas seek counseling/rehab immediately, however...

but put me in the corner of being incredibly excited about the possibility of a pitching laden club...if I have to hope for the Pythag to improve, I'd much rather hope to generate more offense,particularly since IMHO adding offense is much easier to do than adding defense...in this economically challenged period, one might believe that plenty of bats would be available if the Reds merit potential playoff improvement come July...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gripe all you want about the Reds having been a dark horse many times over the last decade...but when was the last time the Reds have gotten this much love in the preseason? Where there is smoke there's fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Charlotte Observer here picks the Reds as their surprise team. I wish I was half as high as the media seems to be.
    There. Fixed that for ya!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Haunted by walks

I love the mentions the Reds are getting, although I think it's a matter of ... if you're asked to name a surprise team, you don't go for one that has a healthy chance of winning, because that wouldn't be a surprise. You don't go for the Pirates, because they never have a chance. You've been picking the Brewers for a few years, because they often look good, but they fall short. If you pick the Reds, you can point to excellent pitching and a couple of good young hitters. You don't look too foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    I am truly fascinated by the media predicting anything from the Reds. Some mention the young nucleus and the potential of the pitching staff. What has really changed though? Young players are a year older and the Reds are counting on their defense being better because of the subtraction of 2 OF's. They say they are about speed and defense in a ballpark built for the home run and then the main preacher of the speed and defense philosophy gets on the phone to Gary Sheffield. Interesting, if nothing else
    I see the 2009 Reds looking very, very similar to the 2003 Marlins.....with them having a bit better offense, and the Reds having 'potentially' better pitching.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Out of the 21 ESPN "experts" predictions, 10 of them had the Reds as their dark-horse team.
    At a certain point, the horse starts turning to a lighter shade of dark.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think most people *still* underestimate the importance of starting pitching.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think most people *still* underestimate the importance of starting pitching.
    I think you can win with great starting pitching and you can not win with great starting pitching. You can lose without great starting pitching and you can not lose without great starting pitching.

The Mariners won 116 games in 2001 without great starting pitching.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think you can win with great starting pitching and you can not win with great starting pitching. You can lose without great starting pitching and you can not lose without great starting pitching.

Though with an excellent pen to follow a solid rotation. Defense played a huge role as well.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 04-06-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

The teams with truly great pitching (excellent in the 1 spot to respectable in #5) don't lose often.

The only formula that is doomed to fail is an "offense-only" approach (cf. Cincinnati Reds 2000-2008).

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The teams with truly great pitching (excellent in the 1 spot to respectable in #5) don't lose often.

The only formula that is doomed to fail is an "offense-only" approach (cf. Cincinnati Reds 2000-2008).
    I think any aspect of the game where a team truly has a sledge hammer advantage dramatically increases their chances even if flawed in other places. In '01 the Ms were sledgehammer offensively and defensively and pretty vanilla pitching-wise.

The Reds were basically an offense only team from '00-'08 but their offense wasn't actually exceptional. For instance the Yanks scored over 850 runs 7 times (over 900 twice) during that period. Boston scored over 900 runs three times during that period. The Reds actually only managed to score more than 800 twice during that period (825 and 820). Unfortunately they were the anti-'01 Ms in other aspects of the game as atrocious defense accentuated their pitching but not in a good way.

Just being good at one thing though, probably isn't going to get it done.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-06-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

we havent shown a offense that can get to the playoffs much less the world Series!!!.. they have to average 4+ runs a game and spring training they scored 3 runs or less(16 times).. and we have no solid bench and if this is the new reds, it reminds me of 1983 where soto had to throw a shut out to win 1-0!! Sigh!! not trying t be negative.. just tired of losing and they didnt get a #4 hitter to help this offense.. and they didnt improve the bench! McDonlad over Gomes is a mistake in my opnion!

Turn Off Ads?