Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I would like to see the Reds draft 5 pitchers in the first 6 rounds all hard throwers
    We know.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Past midnight now so the draft is coming SOON. The Reds have been linked a lot lately to Stephen Piscotty the Stanford 3rd baseman. Athletic guy who projects to be able to stay there and has a good all around bat - a Votto like hitter from what I've read. Power but more of a good line drive hitter who uses all fields, makes good contact, will walk, good eye, should hit for a good average with decent power. Still gets out of synch from time to time but his flaws seem minor, mostly coachable stuff. I wouldn't be surprised - he is a toolsy corner guy and seems to fit the type the Reds draft high. More all around athlete than focused on 1 or 2 tools.
    Sounds like exactly the type of pick I am hoping for. I've had no time lately to catch up on the prospects so I will be relying on you guys for the 411, thanks RLJ.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Because I'm capable of following the draft at work because I own the business and I generally don't have anyone in the office anyway, I was sorry to see that the draft starts this evening. That said, my wife asked before I left for work, "we don't have anything on the calendar tonight, do we?" to which I replied, "the baseball draft is tonight." Now I have it on the radar that counts!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Because I'm capable of following the draft at work because I own the business and I generally don't have anyone in the office anyway, I was sorry to see that the draft starts this evening. That said, my wife asked before I left for work, "we don't have anything on the calendar tonight, do we?" to which I replied, "the baseball draft is tonight." Now I have it on the radar that counts!
    I think if I told my wife that I would get "I hate baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think if I told my wife that I would get "I hate baseball."
    Oh I would never get that. She takes umbrage when folks ask her, "did you become a baseball fan because you married Redsmetz." Her father would come back and haunt her to boot.

Yesterday we went for a walk down at the riverfront and stopped at the Lager House to watch some of the game. She even said to me, "aren't you glad you married a baseball fan."

Now she could care less about the draft. She'll care when they make the team and she has to learn their name. And all three of our kids are baseball fans.

I'm sure your wife has other qualities, right?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Ha- I had the exact same conversation this morning!
    Go BLUE!!!

Oh I would never get that. She takes umbrage when folks ask her, "did you become a baseball fan because you married Redsmetz." Her father would come back and haunt her to boot.

Yesterday we went for a walk down at the riverfront and stopped at the Lager House to watch some of the game. She even said to me, "aren't you glad you married a baseball fan."

Now she could care less about the draft. She'll care when they make the team and she has to learn their name. And all three of our kids are baseball fans.

I'm sure your wife has other qualities, right?
    My wife never was a baseball fan other than enjoying going to games. She likes to go to the game but when I listen to it or watch it on TV it starts to annoy her. When I have the game on she will turn to the dog and say "Baseball's on again!"

She isn't a native Cincinnatian and really doesn't care until the playoffs begin to start. She enjoys it when the whole city gets wrapped up in the Reds or the Bengals for that matter. But other than that its just dead air and she would rather watch the WE channel.

Too many teams are going to be reaching for that "surefire ace" in the first round. That's been the trend as of late... even Anthony Rendon fell to 6th in last year's draft due to pitching fever. Our system has lots of arms with potential... I'd take a college arm with one of our supplemental picks and fill out the rest of rounds 1-2 with a variety of position players.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Too many teams are going to be reaching for that "surefire ace" in the first round. That's been the trend as of late... even Anthony Rendon fell to 6th in last year's draft due to pitching fever. Our system has lots of arms with potential... I'd take a college arm with one of our supplemental picks and fill out the rest of rounds 1-2 with a variety of position players.
    Rendon fell because he was injured and wasn't performing on par with what was expected of him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Rendon fell because he was injured and wasn't performing on par with what was expected of him.
    Ah, I'd forgotten about the injury. Still, he seems to have emerged as a fine selection by the Nationals, and I still feel a hitter fits our needs best at this point in time, even though I wouldn't reach at all for one.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Ah, I'd forgotten about the injury. Still, he seems to have emerged as a fine selection by the Nationals, and I still feel a hitter fits our needs best at this point in time, even though I wouldn't reach at all for one.
    I'm hoping for that 3b out of Clemson. Not sure about Pischotti, he strikes me as a Dave Magadan type. Of course, if Marerro falls...
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Ha- I had the exact same conversation this morning!
    Why were you talking to my wife this morning?

The Baseball Bookstore

Why were you talking to my wife this morning?
    She is pretty cute...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm hoping for that 3b out of Clemson. Not sure about Pischotti, he strikes me as a Dave Magadan type. Of course, if Marerro falls...
    I'd prefer Shaffer too, Dan. That's my real hope but most have Cleveland grabbing him after us. Who really knows though. When do the mock picks get it right?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'd prefer Shaffer too, Dan. That's my real hope but most have Cleveland grabbing him after us. Who really knows though. When do the mock picks get it right?
    In recent memory, some guys have nailed us taking Stubbs, Mesoraco, Alonso and Stephenson.... so they haven't been terrible.

Turn Off Ads?