Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips Article from Jerry Crasnick

Brandon Phillips Article from Jerry Crasnick

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=5394469

Yes, I'm flashy. I just feel like it makes me have fun if I put a little flair to it. Do I feel like I'm arrogant? No. Do I feel like I'm confident? Hell yes, I do. I feel like I'm the best all-around second baseman in baseball. If you don't think you're the best, why go out and play this game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips Article from Jerry Crasnick

Great article. The only thing I think he left out that would have been worth mentioning is the seemingly nonstop reports of Phillips going above and beyond in the autograph signing department.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

There is also a great (insider) article on the front of the MLB page on ESPN.com about the Reds having the highest infield WAR in the NL. Pretty cool article.

I went to a Reds game a handful of years ago just after Brandon Phillips has wrestled the starting 2b job away from Tony Wolmack.

It was just me and my future wife at the game and we got there around 15 minutes before (which knowing my wife is a minor miracle in itself) and were watching the players finalize their stretching and tossing and getting ready for the National Anthem. There was a kid who had run down to the first row with his glove asking for a ball. Phillips happened to be walking into the dugout at the time and tossed the kid a ball. The poor kid dropped the ball back on to the field, Phillips went over, picked up the ball, and tossed it back to the kid again. The kid caught it this time but Phillips was motioning for him to throw it back to BP. The probably exchanged about 3-4 throws and after that BP went over and gave the kid a pat on the back. It probably was one of the neatest things I have ever seen a ball player do right before a game. From that moment my wife's favorite player became Phillips.

"Do I like asking myself rhetorical questions?....perhaps."

A great read & spot on, well done Crasnick. His relationship with the fans is a good one with the exception of Jpup. Wasn't Jpup that he had a back and forth with on the Reds caravan a couple of offseasons ago? The problem then was about the team and although he was rude dealing with Jpup (who BTW wasn't speaking to BP in the 1st place) he was defending his team/teammates IIRC. But the fans problem (or maybe more specifically RZ's problem, myself included) with him has been his lack of willingness to see and adjust his game to it's utmost ceiling (the same problem some of us have had with many different Reds).

Phillips' .317 career on-base percentage needs some work, and he's been successful on only 69 percent of his stolen-base attempts (59-for-86) since 2008. One AL executive said Phillips is about "85 percent of the player he could be" if he ironed out the remaining rough edges.
    BTW the last 2 seasons he has begun his descent and is almost there. Spot on analysis as always by us! Do we have a smilie patting himself on the back? Guess not, this will have to do.

Oh and this was fun excerpt also, gotta love our nasty boy lineup of guys who aren't politically correct (Votto included).

It's the same with a lot of coaches -- either they love me or they hate me. That lets me know I'm doing something they don't like. I'm busting their asses and getting hits and showing them I'm here."
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-20-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went to a Reds game a handful of years ago just after Brandon Phillips has wrestled the starting 2b job away from Tony Wolmack.

It was just me and my future wife at the game and we got there around 15 minutes before (which knowing my wife is a minor miracle in itself) and were watching the players finalize their stretching and tossing and getting ready for the National Anthem. There was a kid who had run down to the first row with his glove asking for a ball. Phillips happened to be walking into the dugout at the time and tossed the kid a ball. The poor kid dropped the ball back on to the field, Phillips went over, picked up the ball, and tossed it back to the kid again. The kid caught it this time but Phillips was motioning for him to throw it back to BP. The probably exchanged about 3-4 throws and after that BP went over and gave the kid a pat on the back. It probably was one of the neatest things I have ever seen a ball player do right before a game. From that moment my wife's favorite player became Phillips.
    Nice. We had a similar experience with Brandon at Minute Maid park earlier this year during batting practice. He was so friendly with my 5-year-old daughter, laughing and joking with her. She's a big fan of Phillips now. He's just a genuinely happy guy.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-20-2010 at 05:12 PM.

BP on the SVP show today at 3:27 ET on ESPN radio.

BP on right now.

"I care what's said about him," Cabrera said. "I know his father and his mother, and his father always told me, 'Get him straight,' and I'm gonna get him straight. That's the way it is."
    I loved this.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?