Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MySpace layouts

MySpace layouts

I'm a web designer. I've been a web designer for 12 years. I have two teenagers and a soon to be 10 year old.

I don't get MySpace.

I get the concept of social networking. I do. What I don't get is the craptastic layouts. I mean some of these are really bad. transparency used incorrectly to the point that the text is almost invisible, super wide layouts, 30 videos from youtube all loading at once.

So, I've started building layouts for myspace. This was a request from my 16 year old son. We started working on them together, but he's 16 and has the attention span of a gnat.

So, what would you like to see in a myspace layout? I need suggestions. I'm posting about 20 designs tonight. once they are available I'll post a link. Feel free to rip me to shreds. All my layouts are free of course.

Mods if this post violates board policy, feel free to remove it. I really am just looking for feedback.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MySpace layouts

I don't get MySpace.
    Web information gone awry... I refuse to go there.

I would love to see a Jody Shelley layout, from the Columbus Blue Jackets. I have been looking for one forever, but never have been able to find one. If you happen to have anytime to get this done, then THANK YOU so much!
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Web information gone awry... I refuse to go there.
    As do I. I get a headache just looking at some of those sites. I also hate the surprise factor of automatically loading audio and video. I really don't want Nickelback blasting through my speakers just because I made the mistake of clicking on a link to your myspace page.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm a web designer. I've been a web designer for 12 years. I have two teenagers and a soon to be 10 year old.

I don't get MySpace.

I get the concept of social networking. I do. What I don't get is the craptastic layouts. I mean some of these are really bad. transparency used incorrectly to the point that the text is almost invisible, super wide layouts, 30 videos from youtube all loading at once.

So, I've started building layouts for myspace. This was a request from my 16 year old son. We started working on them together, but he's 16 and has the attention span of a gnat.

So, what would you like to see in a myspace layout? I need suggestions. I'm posting about 20 designs tonight. once they are available I'll post a link. Feel free to rip me to shreds. All my layouts are free of course.

Mods if this post violates board policy, feel free to remove it. I really am just looking for feedback.
    Great post, actually. My wife and I have a MySpace page for our songwriting and what I'd like is something that's cool and creative but "clean." Something music related without being "hip hop", "emo" or "booty-oriented." It seems every freaking MySpace layout has animated GIFs, backgrounds that obscure text and garish colors. People also seem to like to post images that make you scroll horizontally, I HATE THAT!

I'd love to see the designs, myself.

Anyhow, I'd love to see the designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I would love to see a Jody Shelley layout, from the Columbus Blue Jackets. I have been looking for one forever, but never have been able to find one. If you happen to have anytime to get this done, then THANK YOU so much!
    I've done Red's one (obviously) and one for the BoSox. I hadn't thought about Hockey. But I can do one.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Check out mine - I used a divOverlay setup.

As someone who does web design on the side - I think the myspace web design template is slightly above Geocities on the gag factor scale - so I spent an afternoon at least making mine palatable. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

What I don't get is the craptastic layouts. I mean some of these are really bad. transparency used incorrectly to the point that the text is almost invisible, super wide layouts, 30 videos from youtube all loading at once.
    Freedom of design run amok. People don't know HTML or CSS, but yet to make a different profile they have to attempt to use it or copy poorly made code from elsewhere, modify it and then an even worse version might circulate.

A tolerable, customized layout in MySpace is so rare that it is a genuine surprise.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

As someone who does web design on the side - I think the myspace web design template is slightly above Geocities on the gag factor scale - so I spent an afternoon at least making mine palatable. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.
    That's a better and cleaner look than the usual scroll-a-thons on MySpace. Splendid!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

I thought about divOverlay, but for a lot of people it's too complicated. for now at least I'm just styling the table id's none of that..

table table table table

garbage. blech.

I thought about divOverlay, but for a lot of people it's too complicated. for now at least I'm just styling the table id's none of that..

table table table table

garbage. blech.
    TABLES! RUN AWAY!

When I used to teach web design, I worked hard with my students to get them to use div tags with CSS and avoid using tables. I hate tables. Tables are the devil.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

frames are the devil.

tables have a use... tabular data. tables can be very powerful. for design they were a necessary evil for a long time.

but frames? frames are truly evil.

frames are the devil.

tables have a use... tabular data. tables can be very powerful. for design they were a necessary evil for a long time.

but frames? frames are truly evil.
    Ugh. Frames ARE evil. Tables are worthwhile for tabular data, but I've had to clean up many a website with nested table upon nested table. It ends up being a tag hunt.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'd like to have the Reds layout. The Reds theme I have now blows as you might imagine.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I'd like to have the Reds layout. The Reds theme I have now blows as you might imagine.
    link? I'd like to take a look.

Turn Off Ads?