Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What will the Reds do?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • They will add an impact bat

6 15.79%
  • No Impact bat, standing pat

6 15.79%
  • Dumpster diving for another Gomes/Nix

20 52.63%
  • Promote one of Heisey/Stubbs/Dorn

21 55.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010: The Year We Make Contact

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Could not resist this thread title.

I'm thinking the Reds are not going to add another bat this off season. Certainly not an impact bat. IMO that means next years OF is likely Bruce, Dickerson (no way they let WT start after this abysmal year) and Wlad/Gomes. I think Nix is probably let go, and Gomes COULD be as well. I think three members of the IF are set, and I won't speculate on the 4th.

I think the Reds FO thinks they may have lightning in a bottle with Wlad.

The thing is, they thought the same thing about WT.

So pick the scenarios that most likely fit this Reds FO.
    Last edited by TRF; 08-13-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010: The Year We Make Contact

No way WT is a starter next year? Is Dusty still going to be managing?

I agree Wlad has a pretty good shot at being the LF starter. Bruce is a lock for RF. I can see a platoon of Taveras and Dickerson in CF, at least to start the year. I think they will keep Gomes and Taveras/Dickerson as reserve outfielders and Nix will be let go.

Hopefully JJ Hardy is the newcomer on the infield. I have no idea what happens at Catcher.

I voted "no impact bat, standing pat" by the way.
    Last edited by BRM; 08-13-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Does JJ Hardy count as an impact bat?
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Either status quo, or dumpster dive.

They added the impact bat already.

His name? Scott Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Does JJ Hardy count as an impact bat?
    Not IMO.

Willy Taveras will be the Centerfielder on Opening Day 2010.

Added a impact bat in Rolen? Deleted an impact bat in EE...net effect = $3-$5M more dollars spent and no more offense and 2 less arms...impact is negative (I admit the better defense but still negative impact). sorry.

Hopefully, the Reds can trade for a young SS (ie: Brignac or Hardy (if he can be re-signed longer term)) and find some bullpen help. I'm not sure how trading Harang and Arroyo would make this team better. Who would pitch those innings? The Reds will not sign Lackey or Holiday...so, what's left? I imagine they will look for cheap fixes and wait for Yonder & Co. to develop.

Bum

Edwin Encarnacion is an impact bat?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Edwin Encarnacion is an impact bat?
    As much as Rolen is, yes.
    Go BLUE!!!

FWIW, I think Highlifeman was being facetious.

I don't buy the notion that the only reason Willy plays is because Dusty is the manager. Dusty more than likely realizes as much as anyone that Willy sucks. But his GM gave him a 2 year deal worth 3 million per before the year, so his hands are kind of tied don't ya think? He doesn't have a choice but to play him.

With that being said, should he be batting him first or second in the lineup? That's a resounding no.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't buy the notion that the only reason Willy plays is because Dusty is the manager. Dusty more than likely realizes as much as anyone that Willy sucks. But his GM gave him a 2 year deal worth 3 million per before the year, so his hands are kind of tied don't ya think? He doesn't have a choice but to play him.
    I disagree. I don't think Dusty takes playing time orders from Walt. I truly think it's all his decision. Walt has even stated this before.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Not IMO.
    I think he's an impact player.... as in above average regular. He's a solid 6-7 type of hitter (not terribly different from Phillips). He'll knock in some runs, isn't allergic to 1st base, and plays real defense.

Adding him, and solving the OF jumble, and things could turn around fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post

With that being said, should he be batting him first or second in the lineup? That's a resounding no.
    Completely disagree. Have you heard Dusty criticize him once all year? How many times has Dusty publicly chastized Dickerson? I can think of two right off the top of my head (the backup play in Philliy, and the baserunning the other night).

Dusty sees what he wants to see. He likes what WT does. If he didn't, he wouldn't still be playing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think he's an impact player.... as in above average regular. He's a solid 6-7 type of hitter (not terribly different from Phillips). He'll knock in some runs, isn't allergic to 1st base, and plays real defense.

Adding him, and solving the OF jumble, and things could turn around fairly quickly.
    Agreed. He'd be a nice upgrade for SS. When I think impact bat though, I think power-hitting run producer. Typically corner guys.

Turn Off Ads?