Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Re: Spotify

What does Spotify offer that Rhapsody doesn't?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Listening to music you don't own? Sounds like radio to me.
    Yet, it's not. Radio is curated, Spotify allows you to listen to whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What does Spotify offer that Rhapsody doesn't?
    You can listen to their entire library on your Mac or PC for free without paying a dime with ads or $5 a month with ads for PC/Mac and $10 for no ads with mobile or PC/Mac. They have a larger catalog (including albums that are released just in the UK), they have a better user interface, they have facebook integration and better overall features and userability.

I signed up (thanks for the link); however, they're missing quite a few of the albums I'd like to listen to and I'm not entirely impressed. I also wasn't too pleased that it grabbed all of my iTunes playlists. I'll give it some time before I decide one way or the other.

Honestly, some of the rights holders for some of the classics (most notably Led Zeppelin and The Beatles) have not given the green light. It took iTunes nearly a decade to get The Beatles. I think they will come around.

What's not to like about your iTunes playlists being loaded into Spotify? Consolidation I think is a good thing.

It's hard to complain too much about free IMO.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I got an invite and downloaded Spotify, but I haven't installed it yet. Buried in the hype and documentation is the fact that Spotify uses peer-to-peer technology and turns your computer into one of its hubs while the Spotify client is running. I don't do open P2P.

Thankfully, the mobile version (which is how I'd want to use Spotify anyway) doesn't use P2P. So a subscription to that is still a possibility down the road.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If you're still not convinced, this gives you a lot more info about how to use all of the tools Spotify has...the geek's version more or less...

The Essential Spotify Tools

http://lifehacker.com/5821396/the-es...-spotify-tools

Owning lots of books, movies, and music is borderline hoarderish.

I stopped when I realize it's always going to be out there if I want it. If I get rid of a book or a movie and I want to read it or see it again it's not at all difficult to do so, at a tiny monetary cost (if any - I'm pretty covered with Netflix, the library, etc). I see people with giant walls of DVDs and CDs and I just do not get it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I think as more ISP's impose bandwidth caps, which is inevitable, you will see streaming all the time services take a big hit.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I think as more ISP's impose bandwidth caps, which is inevitable, you will see streaming all the time services take a big hit.
    I think this is more true of movies. Songs are pretty small and very small in comparison to music.

So I got an invite for the free version of Spotify, and I've been trying it out for the last few days. I thought I'd share a few quick thoughts.

I'm taken by how much UI reminds me of a Napster or Limewire more than something like Pandora. I can't really say it's good or bad, just different.

Spotify's is at its best when I know what I want to listen to, whether it's a particular artist, song or album. On the other hand, I haven't found a feature that allows you to do what Pandora does - create a station ahead of time that streams based on your preferences. I've had to manually create playlists, similar to iTunes. Not a big deal, but I was expecting some Pandora-like functionality. Still, I have to admit, it's nice to throw together a playlist and not worry about whether I've purchased that song/album already.

On the down side, I've noticed that it's incredibly buggy and slow. I'm running it on my computer at work, so that could be the issue. It still doesn't make the constant locking up and/or crashing any less annoying.

So far, I've enjoyed it. It's superiority to other music services isn't readily apparent, if that's the case at all. Still, I do like it, and I'm eager to see how they improve it. Unfortunately for Spotify, I'm probably not willing to pay for a premium subscription until I see some improvement.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Try this to get some Pandora like functionality out of it, this made a big difference for me:

http://spotibot.com
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    So I got an invite for the free version of Spotify, and I've been trying it out for the last few days. I thought I'd share a few quick thoughts.

I'm taken by how much UI reminds me of a Napster or Limewire more than something like Pandora. I can't really say it's good or bad, just different.

Spotify's is at its best when I know what I want to listen to, whether it's a particular artist, song or album. On the other hand, I haven't found a feature that allows you to do what Pandora does - create a station ahead of time that streams based on your preferences. I've had to manually create playlists, similar to iTunes. Not a big deal, but I was expecting some Pandora-like functionality. Still, I have to admit, it's nice to throw together a playlist and not worry about whether I've purchased that song/album already.

On the down side, I've noticed that it's incredibly buggy and slow. I'm running it on my computer at work, so that could be the issue. It still doesn't make the constant locking up and/or crashing any less annoying.

So far, I've enjoyed it. It's superiority to other music services isn't readily apparent, if that's the case at all. Still, I do like it, and I'm eager to see how they improve it. Unfortunately for Spotify, I'm probably not willing to pay for a premium subscription until I see some improvement.
    I can't speak for the bugs (though curious what bugs you've encountered), but the speed may be your work computer. It runs super fast on my home computer.

I love Rhapsody and have been a subscriber for several years.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I can't speak for the bugs (though curious what bugs you've encountered), but the speed may be your work computer. It runs super fast on my home computer.
    fearofpopvol1 -- Spotify shareholder.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?