Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

5 4.90%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.96%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

1 0.98%
  • Yasmani Grandal

1 0.98%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.96%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

86 84.31%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

4 3.92%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

I guess since my guy was out voted 91-7 I will go with him again. Devin Mesoraco.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco here. Position scarcity, tore up the 2010 season leading the system in OPS and HR's, while throwing out over 40% of attempted base stealers. There are a few small warts on his resume even after this season, but that is why these guys are prospects and not All Star major leaguers.

Easy one for me, went with Mesoraco. The power he brings to the catcher position could be huge for the Reds.

Think it gets interesting with the next pick, the clear cut favorites should most likely end with Chapman and Mes.

Mesoraco was the easy choice for me. .302/.377/.587 - .964 OPS with 26 homers in 397 atbats. That's some big time power. As Doug mentioned, he also threw out over 40% of attempted base stealers. Mesoraco has always had the tools and this year he put them all together. He's looking like a guy that could be an All-Star at the major league level.

Chapman and Mesoraco were easy choices at 1-2 but now it gets interesting. I'll be choosing between Yonder Alonso, Billy Hamilton, and Yorman Rodriguez at number 3.

Another vote for Mesoraco. I'm still a little bit skeptical about his emergence given his track record but it's hard to ignore a catcher who put up a line of .302/.377/.587 between A+ and AA. If he is able to replicate this kind of performance next season the Reds may be looking at a top 25 prospect in all of baseball and a long term solution at catcher.

Is Jordan Smith still a prospect then? (Not that I would vote him in the top two)

Agree with all the voices here, except that I really can't see Alonso in the photo for the next choice. Cozart, perhaps. Along with Rodriguez and Hamilton. But Alonso just seems way too limited for me. Limited by position. Limited by speed. And even, most importantly, limited as a hitter. I'm no expert on hitting mechanics, but his swing appears too long for consistent contact, and his pronounced hitch before he cuts loose really gives me pause. One of his biggest assets as a hitter, according to many, has always been his patience and pitch selection. The lack of same is what has held down Francisco as a prospect. Maybe my eyes don't work so well, but after watching the big-league plate appearances of these two, you'd think it was the other way around. Bottom line, at this point I just don't see Alonso as a top-five, and not even a slam-dunk after that.

But we're on No. 2. While Yorman and Hamilton look to be pulse-quickening prospects, you simply can't beat what Mesoraco produced this year as a catcher, at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is Jordan Smith still a prospect then? (Not that I would vote him in the top two)
    No he would no longer be considered a prospect.

I went with Mes for the above mentioned reasons. Position, pedigree, and production.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Agree with all the voices here, except that I really can't see Alonso in the photo for the next choice. Cozart, perhaps. Along with Rodriguez and Hamilton. But Alonso just seems way too limited for me. Limited by position. Limited by speed. And even, most importantly, limited as a hitter. I'm no expert on hitting mechanics, but his swing appears too long for consistent contact, and his pronounced hitch before he cuts loose really gives me pause. One of his biggest assets as a hitter, according to many, has always been his patience and pitch selection. The lack of same is what has held down Francisco as a prospect. Maybe my eyes don't work so well, but after watching the big-league plate appearances of these two, you'd think it was the other way around. Bottom line, at this point I just don't see Alonso as a top-five, and not even a slam-dunk after that.
    Beware the small sample size. While I agree with you on what you saw in the majors, Alonso showed nothing like that in the minors for the most part. My guess is that he was trying too hard to impress and hit everything as hard as he could, that he forgot what got him there.

This was posted in the thread for #1 prospect.
    Every prospect list I have ever seen is done with the idea that a player is eligible as long as they have ROY eligibility for the next season (less than 130 AB/50ip in the majors).

Jordan Smith had 42IP. Does it have something to do with number of days on a big league roster? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This was posted in the thread for #1 prospect.

Jordan Smith had 42IP. Does it have something to do with number of days on a big league roster? Just curious.
    Yes, there is also a 'time served' clause. Generally we don't end up needing to use it, but it does exist. It is 45 days on the active MLB roster (non September). That disqualifies Smith. As I noted, it isn't often that rule is invoked, but that also would disqualify one as Smith is not eligible for the 2011 MLB ROY awards.

I'll go Yorman. To be doing what he did at age 17 (for most of season) screams potential superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, there is also a 'time served' clause. Generally we don't end up needing to use it, but it does exist. It is 45 days on the active MLB roster (non September). That disqualifies Smith. As I noted, it isn't often that rule is invoked, but that also would disqualify one as Smith is not eligible for the 2011 MLB ROY awards.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'll go Yorman. To be doing what he did at age 17 (for most of season) screams potential superstar.
    I like it! Although I believe Mes is the better prospect due to his monster season this year, Yorman does have signs of superstar. Thinking he will cozy in at #3 on my ballot.

Turn Off Ads?