2. Likes:

BuckNaked (02-24-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer signed for 6 year, 105 mil

He is needed for our team.

Fangraphs the last 3 years thinks he's been worth 18.5 11.4 5.9 million

We'll look back on this deal in 2016 and either say it was a good deal or it was on par with what's going on.

Don't forget we have a TV contract renewal in 2016 which should bring in extra money. Bob knows how much he can spend and they know who they need to keep to contend.

I'm really glad that this has been finalized.

We can talk about potential risk all we want, but if Bailey continues to improve as he has this deal will be considered a steal two to three years down the road. I'll also be glad to see an end to the whispers and murmurs concerning Bailey's impossible-to-know feelings about the Reds organization.

Management wants to win, that much is clear. They're willing to dish out large sums of money in order to keep homegrown talent from walking, all the while shaping a formidable nucleus that can be competitive for years to come. It'll be interesting to see how management approaches the ticking clocks around the necks of Latos, Cueto, Leake, and even Bruce. We obviously shouldn't expect them to be able to retain all of these guys, but if we've learned anything from the contracts signed over past few seasons, we may be talking about long-term deals for one or two of them in the not-too-distant future.

I said this in other Bailey thread, but I will reiterate here that I think this is a fair deal for both sides. Bailey has shown consistent improvement each year and is in his prime. If he had hit the free agent market next year, I think it's fair to say he would've gotten more. I'm glad Walt didn't let that happen. As it stands now, I think Bailey is a strong #2 starter, and I don't think we know where his ceiling is yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Suhweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already knew this would happen but reading the comments on that espn article make me wanna pull my hair out...

The contract broken out in years shows that he is deferring a good portion of his salary each year until after November of each year.

For example:
    2014- 9 million this year being paid 3 million with the rest paid in November
    2016 - 18 million, paid 11 million during year, rest in November

I wonder if this because starting in 2016 the TV deal that kicks in pays the Reds a large sum each year in October or November.

Also, very well done for Walt/Bob to structure increase from 2015 to 2016 after presumably Ludwick, Cueto, Broxton, maybe some other money comes off the books.

I hope there is money for Latos and Leake and by then Irvin and Winker are ready to step in or enough money to pay for a LF or CF if they don't pan out and Billy doesn't pan out.

This signing has taken away any negative feelings I had about the offseason. In fact, I'm quite bullish on the Reds entering 2014. Yeah, I wish they made one more move to improve the offense, but I think the Skip Schumaker signing was an excellent under-the-radar move (he will be the best UTL player the Reds have had in quite some time).

Signing Bailey just gives me confidence as fan that the "window" isn't "closing" as many in the media tried to lead us to believe. National writers were falling all over themselves writing stories about how the Reds needed to trade Bailey. Haha. Why would a contender do something like that? That's the issue? We're not viewed as a contender by national media this season ... and I love it. I bet the team embraces the underdog role and surprises a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    We'll look back on this deal in 2016 and either say it was a good deal or it was on par with what's going on.

Don't forget we have a TV contract renewal in 2016 which should bring in extra money. Bob knows how much he can spend and they know who they need to keep to contend.
    Exactly. That money plus (hopefully) increased attendance revenue from good success last few years will allow us to sign Latos LT as well. I am sure he will be a smidge more than Bailey (I say 1.5 more a year).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    This signing has taken away any negative feelings I had about the offseason. In fact, I'm quite bullish on the Reds entering 2014. Yeah, I wish they made one more move to improve the offense, but I think the Skip Schumaker signing was an excellent under-the-radar move (he will be the best UTL player the Reds have had in quite some time).

Signing Bailey just gives me confidence as fan that the "window" isn't "closing" as many in the media tried to lead us to believe. National writers were falling all over themselves writing stories about how the Reds needed to trade Bailey. Haha. Why would a contender do something like that? That's the issue? We're not viewed as a contender by national media this season ... and I love it. I bet the team embraces the underdog role and surprises a lot of folks.
    I don't put to much weight into "big name" moves anyways. I think as long as there is a slimmer of hope (which there most certainly is), there is a possibility that can make it all the way. That is all I ask is to have that chance to watch them in the WS. We have the team to do it-- they just need to piece it together and want it as bad as the fans do. Not intending they don't want one, but of course last few years does leave that little thought in the forefront of your mind often.

Really happy we were able to lock up Bailey. He has been one of favorite players on the Reds for some time now. It has been awesome watching him improve his game over the past 3 seasons. Nothing like seeing him get stronger as the game goes along hitting 96 and 97 on the gun in the later innings.

Quote Originally Posted by yadontSabo View Post
    I already knew this would happen but reading the comments on that espn article make me wanna pull my hair out...
    I soooooooooooooo hate commenting or reading comments on there. It is like there is nothing but a bunch of high school kids on there resorting to name calling, no facts to back sensationlist claims, and simply trolling to get a arguement started it seems. That is why I only post on here and Bengals board for my debates.

Quote Originally Posted by dkamberi25 View Post
    Really happy we were able to lock up Bailey. He has been one of favorite players on the Reds for some time now. It has been awesome watching him improve his game over the past 3 seasons. Nothing like seeing him get stronger as the game goes along hitting 96 and 97 on the gun in the later innings.
    I think that made all the difference in the world for him (adding two MPH on his fastball). It made his other pitches better IMO

Turn Off Ads?