Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Gee to retire

Re: Gordon Gee to retire

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Are you Catholic? As a Catholic I really don't care. Gee had "foot in mouth" disease which would make you chuckle but shake you head. As a President he was very active with the student body. He was a refreshing administrator after their previous President. He was a fantastic fundraiser and did a great deal of good for the university. Often times I just shook my head that someone in his position would say what he did, but I really didn't disagree with him.
    No, not Catholic at all. But I can see where they could become very upset over his attempted humor. It's good that you can see past his comments and move on. I suspect there were quite a few others who didn't.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No, not Catholic at all. But I can see where they could become very upset over his attempted humor. It's good that you can see past his comments and move on. I suspect there were quite a few others who didn't.
    I think your wrong but that just comes from my experience. Unless you are a die hard ND fan, which there are a lot of, very few of us really care.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Us Catholics, at least the one's that I know, apprecieate a good Catholic joke (not that what Gee said was a good joke), and are not easily offended by comments like that. Now, if he had insulted the religion (eg: Mary worshipping cannibals), that would have infuriating.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Us Catholics, at least the one's that I know, apprecieate a good Catholic joke (not that what Gee said was a good joke), and are not easily offended by comments like that. Now, if he had insulted the religion (eg: Mary worshipping cannibals), that would have infuriating.
    You wouldnt like my jokes then

Very few people put their big girl panties on in the morning anymore and are easily offended. Victim complexes and drama llamas rule the world.

When high profile people don't give in to the toxic level of political correctness, there's almost always a mic or camera around to document it. Life goes on. I doubt his kids or grand-kids will be missing any meals b/c of this minor gaffe.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know why people can't tell a joke anymore. Now you have to check to see if there are any microphones around before you say stuff like this. The Catholics and the SEC should be able to deal with this
    I simply cannot understand why it's so hard to understand that certain professions and positions have standards. He was acting in his official capacity as a taxpayer funded public official. As an attorney, I simply cannot fathom why this doesn't outrage people. If I had a case with a Catholic or a Jewish lawyer on the other side and I started spouting off about how hard it is to negotiate with the Catholics or the Jews, I'd face some serious consequences. In my mind, Gee should be held to the same standard. He runs a public university for God's sake.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I simply cannot understand why it's so hard to understand that certain professions and positions have standards. He was acting in his official capacity as a taxpayer funded public official. As an attorney, I simply cannot fathom why this doesn't outrage people. If I had a case with a Catholic or a Jewish lawyer on the other side and I started spouting off about how hard it is to negotiate with the Catholics or the Jews, I'd face some serious consequences. In my mind, Gee should be held to the same standard. He runs a public university for God's sake.
    I personally am not offended by the comments, but I agree with you 100%. I'd feel the same way if Eli Capiluto made comments as to why Ohio State would never be accepted in the SEC. It's one thing for the common fan to make those jokes, but when you are a coach, athletic director, or a university president, you are held to a different standard.

As I said, as a UK fan I'm not offended. Just reminds me that the SEC is so much more dominant (the seven consecutive national championships and three of the last four Heisman winners speak for themselves) and the only jabs that can be made is about illiteracy and academic integrity. In the words of DeMarcus Cousins, "This ain't no spelling bee."
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Very few people put their big girl panties on in the morning anymore and are easily offended. Victim complexes and drama llamas rule the world.

When high profile people don't give in to the toxic level of political correctness, there's almost always a mic or camera around to document it. Life goes on. I doubt his kids or grand-kids will be missing any meals b/c of this minor gaffe.
    America's favorite past time has become getting someone fired. It kind of reminds me of the movie PCU and the constant protesting of everything culminating in the we're not going to protest, protest. Its almost weekly that something happens that sparks outrage from people who have nothing else to do other than create outrage. "Can you imagine how the Catholics feel after what Gee said!!!" The thing is the Catholics don't care. He didn't say it about the Muslims or Jew's or Lutheran's or any other religious denomination. He said it about Catholics and I have yet to hear a Catholic say "That really is offensive."

What he said about the SEC was a jab and could be taken as offensive and it highlights an unfair stereotype that has been around for a while now. But if your an SEC fan and your watching a football game with your buddy who is a B1G fan those insults are going to be thrown around.

Gordon Gee did a fantastic job as the President of the University. He turned OSU into a better educational university and was a fantastic fundraiser. He made the degree that I have hanging on the wall shine a little bit brighter. If his only offense is taking pot shots at ND and the SEC then !

America's favorite past time has become getting someone fired. It kind of reminds me of the movie PCU and the constant protesting of everything culminating in the we're not going to protest, protest. Its almost weekly that something happens that sparks outrage from people who have nothing else to do other than create outrage. "Can you imagine how the Catholics feel after what Gee said!!!" The thing is the Catholics don't care. He didn't say it about the Muslims or Jew's or Lutheran's or any other religious denomination. He said it about Catholics and I have yet to hear a Catholic say "That really is offensive."
    So demeaning comments about Catholics are fair game, but Muslims, Jews, and Lutherans are off limits? Great rationale!

What he said about the SEC was a jab and could be taken as offensive and it highlights an unfair stereotype that has been around for a while now. But if your an SEC fan and your watching a football game with your buddy who is a B1G fan those insults are going to be thrown around.
    So what? Gordon Gee wasn't making these comments while he was tailgating with a few buddies before the game. He was acting in his official capacity as a state employee. How in the world can you not see a difference in those two things?

11. Likes:

westofyou (06-06-2013)

So demeaning comments about Catholics are fair game, but Muslims, Jews, and Lutherans are off limits? Great rationale!
    If your Catholic and have a problem with it stand up and say so. I just don't get the outrage when it doesn't apply to you.

If your Catholic and have a problem with it stand up and say so. I just don't get the outrage when it doesn't apply to you.
    So if Gordon Gee had talked about all those stupid black athletes in the SEC you wouldn't have had a problem with it so long as you're not black?

I mean, it's one thing not to be personally offended because a slur/religious taunt isn't aimed at your particular group. It's another thing to recognize how ungodly ignorant it is for someone to utter said words in his or her official capacity.

14. Likes:

wolfboy (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So if Gordon Gee had talked about all those stupid black athletes in the SEC you wouldn't have had a problem with it so long as you're not black?
    If Gee would have said this I would think its racially insensitive. I also think you would hear a ton of blow back from the offended party. To me its more important what the offended party thinks of the comments or jokes than it is what I would in this situation. I am also not going to go out and castigate someone for saying something that I really don't know how to interpret.

I mean, it's one thing not to be personally offended because a slur/religious taunt isn't aimed at your particular group. It's another thing to recognize how ungodly ignorant it is for someone to utter said words in his or her official capacity.
    I have said before it was stupid of him to say it. A person of his ilk needs to always be politically correct in today's society.

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-06-2013)

I understand where you're coming from but it's only been in recent years that this becomes a firable offense. We had big boy pants to laugh at ourselves until very recently. We got along fine in those days.

I've been called an SEC Shill around these parts a few times and I didn't mind his comments about that league which is far superior to his. The idea is to laugh it off and then come back with some BCS facts to knock him off his game. As a graduate of OSU, I do not want him fired over this

Gordon Gee did a fantastic job as the President of the University. He turned OSU into a better educational university and was a fantastic fundraiser. He made the degree that I have hanging on the wall shine a little bit brighter. If his only offense is taking pot shots at ND and the SEC then !
    OSU not teaching proper contraction usage nowadays?

You sure you weren't schooled in the SEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand where you're coming from but it's only been in recent years that this becomes a firable offense. We had big boy pants to laugh at ourselves until very recently. We got along fine in those days.

I've been called an SEC Shill around these parts a few times and I didn't mind his comments about that league which is far superior to his. The idea is to laugh it off and then come back with some BCS facts to knock him off his game. As a graduate of OSU, I do not want him fired over this
    I'd raise two points here: (1) this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo as it pertains to off the cuff remarks; and, (2) I don't see the importance of whether or not you, me, or anyone else was deeply offended by it. The point is you don't make comments/jokes like this in your official capacity as a professional. Save it for the weekend card game or the part time stand up comedy routine. There's a time and place for everything, and Gee simply could not figure that out over the span of decades. If you want to be one of the most high profile individuals in your profession, learn to have a filter.

Turn Off Ads?