Turn Off Ads?

Thread: More from the Hatteberg Rumor

More from the Hatteberg Rumor

Found this on Lance's blog from the NY Daily News...

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

The Yankees had inquired about Reds first baseman Scott Hatteberg (.286 average, seven homers, 23 RBI) and were told earlier that the Reds didn't want to trade. That could change, however, because Cincinnati is in sixth place and Hatteberg is 37 and unlikely to return.
    Well I hope the Reds either didn't want to trade because the Yankees were offering crap or because they plan on keeping Hatteberg as a LH bat off the bench and as a mentor for Votto. I hope they are at least listening to offers...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More from the Hatteberg Rumor

I am defintiely hoping the deal didn't go down because the Reds think Hatteberg can net more in return than the Yankees were offering.

Hatte for A-Rod... and the Yanks cover 98% of A-Rod's salary. Seems fair to me.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Well I hope the Reds either didn't want to trade because the Yankees were offering crap or because they plan on keeping Hatteberg as a LH bat off the bench and as a mentor for Votto. I hope they are at least listening to offers...
    That might spell the end of Valentin then. Having Hatte, Valentin and Votto (all LH 1B/C types) is the height of redundancy... unless... they're actually planning on using Votto as their LF.

So we want to trade Dunn and not Hatteberg?

Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

This makes me sick. If we seriously aren't looking to move hatteberg then we have the dumbest front office in baseball. We have a young firstbaseman down in AAA hitting the ball well, but cant bring him up because we are holding onto a 37 year old. Did krivsky just read moneyball and think since hatteberg has a whole chapter to himself that hatte is what will turn this team around. Why must the Reds always be run by fools.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    This makes me sick. If we seriously aren't looking to move hatteberg then we have the dumbest front office in baseball. We have a young firstbaseman down in AAA hitting the ball well, but cant bring him up because we are holding onto a 37 year old. Did krivsky just read moneyball and think since hatteberg has a whole chapter to himself that hatte is what will turn this team around. Why must the Reds always be run by fools.
    Keep in mind that this is just a rumor and not really from the most reliable of sources. We have no idea what's going on behind GM doors...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I don't mind keeping Hatte as long as he doesn't get in the way of Votto. Hatte is a great clubhouse presence and a solid player. He could serve us well as the LH bat off the bench.

Perhaps he could eventually be transitioned into a coaching role once his playing days are done. I'd like to see him teach the younger guys some things about plate discipline.

As I hinted at earlier, I would rather see them part ways with Javy.

I don't want to the Reds to trade Hatteberg because I think he brings alot to the table- obp, presence, etc but this also means he has trade value. This season is toast and while Hatteberg is ggod if you are contention, he is better if he helps bring back someone who helps the team next year. Unfortunately we can't expect the Reds to trade junk and expect to get parts which will actually help. Plus the Reds need to stop messing around and bring up Votto.

Then again if I am the Yankees I lowball the Reds until I see what the asking price is on Dmitri Young.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Any smart GM will lowball the Reds after the Krivsky trade of Kearns for Majewski et al fiasco. Get use to lowball offers. Other teams have the Reds right where they want them. A little more than a rookie GM, a new and floundering ownership just looking at times becoming desperate. I shudder to think what is going to happen next.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Any smart GM will lowball the Reds after the Krivsky trade of Kearns for Majewski et al fiasco. Get use to lowball offers.
    Have you looked at this season's stats for Lopez and Kearns? The argument could be made that the Nationals are the ones who ultimately got "lowballed." Bill Bray still has the potential to be a very nice reliever, Daryl Thompson is having a very nice minor league season, and I still think Majewski has a chance. Lopez and Kearns are what they are, and by looking at their numbers they aren't much.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Have you looked at this season's stats for Lopez and Kearns? The argument could be made that the Nationals are the ones who ultimately got "lowballed." Bill Bray still has the potential to be a very nice reliever, Daryl Thompson is having a very nice minor league season, and I still think Majewski has a chance. Lopez and Kearns are what they are, and by looking at their numbers they aren't much.
    Plus look at the contract status of Kearns and Lopez and the contract status of Maj and Bray and really Hamilton and Gonzalez and you will see the Reds "won" the trade IMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

High five!

Sure are a lot of folks keeping the torch salesman thumbing through the Bentley catalog based on a rumor.

I wouldn't mind moving Hatteberg out of the 1B mix if it meant he would become the interim manager.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

Turn Off Ads?