Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It's clear that some people just flat out hate umpires and it doesn't matter who's doing it... they're wrong and we're right. It doesn't matter if umpires get 98% of the calls right, people will remember the 2% of times they screwed up.

Guess it's OK for everyone to be human except umpires. It's OK for everyone to have egos except umpires.
    how many of those calls are actually close that account for the 98 % ?

It's not hard to get 98 % when a lot of the calls aren't remotely close.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, they did it again. Fortunately it didn't matter.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330509118
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013),remdog (05-10-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've already spent way more time hearing about and reading about umpires this season than I care to. The game isn't about the umps, the fact they are repeatedly the story is a bad situation for baseball IMO.
    While I've disagreed with many of the accusations leveled towards the umps in some of these instances....THIS statement is spot on. The focus should be on the game...not theatrics.

6. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

"My contention was that the pitcher came in, had to face one batter," Scioscia said. "I protested, and we're happy we won (the game)."

Crew chief Fieldin Culbreth wouldn't say much about the situation.

"Well, the only thing I can tell you is that all matters concerning protests are handled through the league office," he said.

Pinch hitter Luis Jimenez was in the on-deck circle when Wright went to the mound but was replaced by Scott Cousins when Ambriz came on.The umps eventually allowed Ambriz (0-2) to remain in the game. He retired Cousins to end the inning.

"Technically, Wesley came in to face the batter that was scheduled to hit, but he pinch-hit for the batter that was scheduled to hit, which my understanding of the rule means you can now bring in another pitcher to face the pinch hitter," Porter said.
    So who's right? Scioscia or Porter? I thought he had to face a batter.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So who's right? Scioscia or Porter? I thought he had to face a batter.
    Scioscia is right, I believe. The whole idea behind the "face one batter" rule is that the switching batters and pitchers game has to end somewhere.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

9. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

This may be the worst of the bunch. This one was a simple rules application and there is no judgement call. They blew this one and they blew it bad. To me, this is as bad as letting them throw a softball into play or run straight from 1st to 3rd across the diamond. Umpires are there to know and enforce the rules of the game. How does a crew of four not get this right.

Rule 3.05.b

If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat,
    or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the
    offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness
    which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a
    pitcher.

Pretty clear the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat or any substitute batter.

Holy hell, how do they not get this right? Four of them!
    What if this is as good as it gets?

11. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (05-10-2013),REDREAD (05-10-2013),remdog (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    This may be the worst of the bunch. This one was a simple rules application and there is no judgement call. They blew this one and they blew it bad. To me, this is as bad as letting them throw a softball into play or run straight from 1st to 3rd across the diamond. Umpires are there to know and enforce the rules of the game. How does a crew of four not get this right.

Rule 3.05.b

If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat,
    or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the
    offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness
    which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a
    pitcher.

Pretty clear the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat or any substitute batter.

Holy hell, how do they not get this right? Four of them!
    Also, how dumb is Bo Porter in not knowing this?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

No technology will change what happened in the Angels game. Unless something comes out that we don't know about then the umpires blew this one. How 4 MLB umpires didn't know this rule is beyond me so I am holding out passing total judgement till all the facts are out.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Wow, that's a clear case of incompetent umpiring.
    Totally indefensible.
    I'm glad it didn't impact the game.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

From the comments I'm reading from Porter, I don't think the pitcher was injured. I was sure that the pitcher had to pitch to at least one batter, but when a MLB manager was saying otherwise...I'm thinking...crap, did I have that wrong all this time?!?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

On what Angel Hernandez and crew saw on the Adam Rosales "double"

Hernandez, the crew chief, viewed the replays in high definition with two other umpires who helped him review the call. The feeds were the same ones that fans saw, and the umpires viewed them on 19-inch full resolution HD broadcast monitors made by Panasonic and similar to those commonly used in TV production trucks.

First off, since they got to see the same exact feeds that we did, there is no excuse. But, the fact that they are using a 19 inch monitor is an absolute joke. You can get a 40 inch, full HD tv for a few hundred bucks these days. MLB could literally spend $10,000 league wide and double the size of the TVs used for this stuff.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Hernandez, the crew chief, viewed the replays in high definition with two other umpires who helped him review the call. The feeds were the same ones that fans saw, and the umpires viewed them on 19-inch full resolution HD broadcast monitors made by Panasonic and similar to those commonly used in TV production trucks.

First off, since they got to see the same exact feeds that we did, there is no excuse. But, the fact that they are using a 19 inch monitor is an absolute joke. You can get a 40 inch, full HD tv for a few hundred bucks these days. MLB could literally spend $10,000 league wide and double the size of the TVs used for this stuff.
    You make a great point. The replay monitors should be at least as wide as Joe West's butt. Its surprising that this wasn't negotiated into the CBO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

I can't back this up but I think Hernandez saw it was a HR on the replay but either has a grudge against the A's - or a player, coach or manager - or he didn't want to reverse it because he didn't want to look like he got the call wrong. Or, it could be just the simplest explanation: He's a horrible umpire (which is public knowledge).
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

mth123 (05-11-2013),REDREAD (05-10-2013),remdog (05-10-2013)

Also, how dumb is Bo Porter in not knowing this?
    I think that I read somewhere that Bo Porter's 'claim to fame ' is, that as a third base coach he holds the record for having more runners thrown out at home plate in one season than anyone else.

(LOL) I honestly don't know if they keep a record of that stat! LOL

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

That, or if it's just a 19 inch flat screen, why don't they bring it out so they don't have go on that walk to go watch it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?