Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    This may be, but its just as likely that what he says is mostly true IMO. There is no doubt in my mind that more OSU players have recieved special deals and have sold memorabillia for money. Really, I think that is true about close to every major program. It isn't going to be easy for a program already under the microscope to shake this off.

That said, unless there is other evidence uncovered during the ongoing investigation into the car deals, I don't think it means a whole lot to OSU in terms of what the COI will hand out. It just fuels the fire of those who want to see OSU have the book thrown at them.
    I pretty much agree this with this. I do think OSU will be under the microscope for a while now. Unless they come out with bowl sanctions I have a feeling this will begin to pass once the football season gets underway. Once the games get going there will be more to talk about on the college football front that OSU. They may stay in the limelight a little longer but USC tended to fade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My wife works with a guy who is an OSU fan. He's out for a while cause he and his wife just had a baby, so as a practical joke they are taking his Jim Tressel bobblehead doll around to various spots like the tattoo parlor and pawn shop and taking pictures of the bobblehead visiting.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That story is a joke and so is Ray Small. I feel sorry for him. Tressel gave him every chance he could and he clearly never got it.
    Why does it seem like everybody who comes out and says that they received something extra get thrown under the bus?

Small has retracted part of his comments. Reading it at first makes you think that the NCAA should start paying student athletes, because he said that he sold his rings just so he could afford rent. Then you read the part where he was driving a Chrysler 300 with a $600 monthly car payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Why does it seem like everybody who comes out and says that they received something extra get thrown under the bus?

Small has retracted part of his comments. Reading it at first makes you think that the NCAA should start paying student athletes, because he said that he sold his rings just so he could afford rent. Then you read the part where he was driving a Chrysler 300 with a $600 monthly car payment.
    You root for one of the most notorious dirty programs in college sports history. Why do you continue to worry about the Buckeyes?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You root for one of the most notorious dirty programs in college sports history. Why do you continue to worry about the Buckeyes?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Well, I just heard about this today on twitter, but it appears there are rumors all over the internet about an article that could be released Tuesday (5/31) in SI about OSU. This article is rumored to have "new" information on Jim Tressel that goes back quite a while. The article is rumored to be written by award winning journalist George Dohrmann who has been credited with bringing down the University of Minnesota basketball program with his investigative reporting in 1999.

Reportedly, Dohrmann has been digging around in Columbus recently. These rumors have kind of been on again and off again. They range from being about Jim Tressel to pay for play allegations, though they mostly center around Tressel. The only thing known with some certainty is that Dohrmann was in Columbus for an extended amount of time. Sounds like the rumor was first reported by a radio station in Columbus. The host seemingly knew a person with knowledge of Dohrmann's investigation. I don't know anything about the radio hosts, so I don't know how much to believe about this. If this is in fact true, things are about to get really interesting in Buckeye Country.

Those are rumors. There is no article. He is in Columbus looking for a story but nothing is scheduled to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Those are rumors. There is no article. He is in Columbus looking for a story but nothing is scheduled to come out.
    I agree that they are just rumors at this point, but I don't know why he would go to Columbus "looking" for a story. There has to be a reason he was there for the amount of time he was reported to have spent there. I don't put much weight in what rumors may say it is about at this point, but the fact that he is there has to make OSU fans uneasy. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. Dohrmann has said himself he doesn't liked being scooped when the rumors first surfaced. So, what rumors that do come out are sketchy. Can't imagine a lot will be known before the article is released.

jredmo2

My views are probably a little skewed by the fact that I just watched the latest (awesome) South Park, which adresses the student-athlete issue.

I'm more of a UC football fan, but in my view, the negativity towards OSU here is purely pedantic. That, and coming from people with an axe to grind regarding the program's success and relative prestige (i.e. most non-OSU college football fans).

I say that because, in my estimation, it would take a small army to regulate the football program to save it from all allegations. Again, this is all IMO, but all of these problems are systemic. They're more or less unavoidable, given the circumstances.

Anybody that's ever been to Columbus, or any other similar college football powerhouse town for that matter, pretty much knows what's going on. In Columbus, the OSU football players are revered as much if not more than any professional athletes. OSU football is THE focal point of the community. EVERY car dealership, pizza place, whatever pretty much has to tout OSU football and uses it in their promotions.

Now, for most of us, that's not really news. But it is a team that plays an incredibly important role in the local economy and culture, much moreso than the Bengals or Reds or UC or Xavier do in Cincinnati. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that Eddie George or Troy Smith or whatever the biggest OSU star is at the time (before this scandal broke) had more celebrity in Columbus than Joey Votto or Brandon Phillips currently have in Cincinnati.

Now add in that these are very young, often very broke college guys. Now add that they see money being made off of them literally all around them, buying their jerseys, and it's all money that they cannot touch. Like I said, damn near every local establishment in Columbus -- not to mention the school itself -- tries to profit off of OSU football, but the players cannot.

Now add that, oh yeah, tons of these business people and boosters are more than willing to tell you whatever you want to hear, give you whatever you want, etc.

I mean, seriously, if you put that sort of situation under a microscope, you expect not to find anything? I guess you could expect all the players to have a moral fortitude that far exceeds that which exists in any corporate environment in the entire damn country, much less among 18-23 year old college students. Or I suppose OSU ought to have an entire division of employees devoted solely to monitoring around 100 college football players, to ensure that they comply to NCAA rules.

There exists a point where, when regulating a certain set of rules becomes unfeasible or simply patently ridiculous, the problem clearly lies within the rules themselves.

jredmo2

Double rant

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This was beginning to be inevitable.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It was necessary. But this is the darkest day in OSU football since The Punch.

Stand strong Coach Tressel. Good people make bad mistakes.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Retired

No shock. Tressel takes the fall, and they hope the program doesn't get hit. THE OSU probably should have been tagged for lack of instutional control, and still may in the end.

Turn Off Ads?