Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Trade Scooter

Re: Trade Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    To me, the larger issue is how much of the team's payroll are you willing to dedicate to a veteran with a young replacement literally at his heels.
    This franchise has always been financially hamstrung. If we spent money like the Dodgers I would have signed him to an extension yesterday.
    Scooter makes $5.7 million this year.
    I would bet he asks for $9-10 million in arbitration this off-season and gets $8.5-9.
    Do you think he'll take that or less per year in a contract after 2019?
    I think he'll want an aav of at least $12-14 million and 4-6 years.
    I want that money spent on pitching. $12 million per year could be a decent chunk of a deal to bring in Patrick Corbin.
    It's not like Scoot Scoot is 35 years old

2. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If the Reds end up spending 50+ million dollars on extending Scooter Gennett, they deserve every losing season this dumb franchise will continue to string together going forward.

5. Likes:

Chip R (09-13-2018),HokieRed (09-14-2018),Revering4Blue (09-13-2018),TRF (09-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Scooter is ranked 18th in WAR currently. He easily could move up a few spots and he's likely to be a 5+ win player this year. He's from the area and wants to be here. I'm sure he'd be willing to take some sort of discount for an extension. Perhaps 4 years or so? Get Senzel out to LF.
    I'm from the area and want to return.

I'm a decent web programmer, with a good grasp of several web programming languages.

But I bet there are kids there that will do the job cheaper that live there. And then that company can invest the savings into other areas of need.

Baseball is a business as much as a sport. Allocating money to a resource heavy area, where said resources are of lesser expense is foolish.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Baseball is a business as much as a sport. Allocating money to a resource heavy area, where said resources are of lesser expense is foolish.
    Any General Manager in any sport or any business needs to begin his business model here. It's amazing how distorted so many franchise are in this area in all sports. Rarely are sports franchises treated like businesses. They have too many safety valves from their leagues for when they screw up.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'm from the area and want to return.

I'm a decent web programmer, with a good grasp of several web programming languages.

But I bet there are kids there that will do the job cheaper that live there. And then that company can invest the savings into other areas of need.

Sure, you could get lucky and have the production be matched on the cheap, but that's not a sure thing. It's also been said that Scooter isn't fetching anything in trade value. So not keeping your best guy then is foolish. Trade the guys who aren't sure things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If the Reds end up spending 50+ million dollars on extending Scooter Gennett, they deserve every losing season this dumb franchise will continue to string together going forward.
    Odds are they do just that in 2 months time.

Maybe Bob just asks his grandchildren what to do all the time because it sure seems like 8-year olds have been running the show for quite a while.

That name "Scooter" has to ring loudly in the hearts of the kids, so it seems certain they would say, "sign him".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2018)

I'm not sure the Reds will sign Scooter this off-season.

They may feel that three great offensive years (assuming 2019) and then a trade at the deadline, or a QO with draft choice return, is a good outcome for their investment in him.

If there are extension discussions, I think Reds are in the driver's seat. If Scooter's leverage is that he goes FA, the Reds won't be too upset with that three-season outcome.

No urgency to trade him or sign him unless favorable terms are available to the team. Reds are in good position on this IMO.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'd be OK with signing Scooter to a 3 year deal with an option for the 4th year, with around $40M guaranteed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

mth123 (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sure, you could get lucky and have the production be matched on the cheap, but that's not a sure thing. It's also been said that Scooter isn't fetching anything in trade value. So not keeping your best guy then is foolish. Trade the guys who aren't sure things.
    You COULD do that. You could also watch your payroll rocket out of control, giving you no payflex to fill needs.

The Reds have 4 guys that could man 2B, either ready or on the way.

How how many legit SP's do the Reds have? Because I count 1, Castillo. Maybe Mahle develops. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe Disco's elbow survives another year, but he's been up and down this year, after missing last year. He's no lock to even be on the OD roster. Homer... well I'm done defending the idea of him. The Reds won't release him, so there is that. Gutierrez probably not ready. Santillan, same. Stephenson probably needs to go to the new (hopefully) manager and tell him he's ready for a big year in the bullpen. Reed? Romano? Mella? all more of the same. #5 starters.

If the Reds are going to get a #1-2 type, they need to take on salary, not just offset it. For whatever reason you want to name, Scooter doesn't give off the Jose Altuve vibe to other team's GM. Get what you can for him, and roll with Dilson or Senzel in 2019.

Scooter Gennett is not the difference maker for the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe he is for the Angels, Dodgers, Mets or even the National. Maybe.

The Reds difference maker is a #1 and a #2 to complement Castillo. Then you have something.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

16. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not sure the Reds will sign Scooter this off-season.

They may feel that three great offensive years (assuming 2019) and then a trade at the deadline, or a QO with draft choice return, is a good outcome for their investment in him.

If there are extension discussions, I think Reds are in the driver's seat. If Scooter's leverage is that he goes FA, the Reds won't be too upset with that three-season outcome.

No urgency to trade him or sign him unless favorable terms are available to the team. Reds are in good position on this IMO.
    If Senzel shows promise in the OF in the fall instructional league, I would think Scooter is getting that multi-year deal. Evidently he is worth more to the Reds than any other team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Because of the finances and other players on the way, I do get (and am in favor of) the sentiment that logically Gennett should be the odd man out.

But it's a shame that we've got a 28 year old guy who has put up 7 WAR over the past 2 years and we can't get rid of him fast enough. Why does it have to be like that! I want nice things!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Because of the finances and other players on the way, I do get (and am in favor of) the sentiment that logically Gennett should be the odd man out.

But it's a shame that we've got a 28 year old guy who has put up 7 WAR over the past 2 years and we can't get rid of him fast enough. Why does it have to be like that! I want nice things!
    Bringing the DH to the NL would help.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

He’s played well, the only problem is that the gamble it would take to keep him is extremely stupid for teams like the Reds to take. ZIPS has him going forward as a 290/340/480 kind of guy, and that sounds about right to me. Combine that with the fact that he’s still not a good defensive 2B (UZR is the only system that rates him positively this season, the rest say he’s still a negative defender) and that’s a recipe for a 3ish win player. He’s gonna get at least 50 million from someone, Cozart got 40 million last season and that’s considering he’s in his mid 30s with a serious injury history.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-14-2018),TRF (09-14-2018)

You COULD do that. You could also watch your payroll rocket out of control, giving you no payflex to fill needs.

The Reds have 4 guys that could man 2B, either ready or on the way.

How how many legit SP's do the Reds have? Because I count 1, Castillo. Maybe Mahle develops. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe Disco's elbow survives another year, but he's been up and down this year, after missing last year. He's no lock to even be on the OD roster. Homer... well I'm done defending the idea of him. The Reds won't release him, so there is that. Gutierrez probably not ready. Santillan, same. Stephenson probably needs to go to the new (hopefully) manager and tell him he's ready for a big year in the bullpen. Reed? Romano? Mella? all more of the same. #5 starters.

If the Reds are going to get a #1-2 type, they need to take on salary, not just offset it. For whatever reason you want to name, Scooter doesn't give off the Jose Altuve vibe to other team's GM. Get what you can for him, and roll with Dilson or Senzel in 2019.

Scooter Gennett is not the difference maker for the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe he is for the Angels, Dodgers, Mets or even the National. Maybe.

The Reds difference maker is a #1 and a #2 to complement Castillo. Then you have something.
    I never advocated for a blockbuster extension for Scooter. My point was, this year, he's been one of the best players in baseball. He's young enough that you could feel comfortable extending him. He has said he wants to stay and supposedly, not many teams wanted him at the deadline meaning his value should not be sky high.

A lot of the guys that could man 2B for the Reds aren't sure things. The Reds' offense this year has been pretty solid. The Reds need starting pitching and the they have pretty much never gone out and spent big there. They have a lot of prospects that they could and probably should deal for young pitching. I like that plan better.

23. Likes:

rgslone (09-14-2018)

Turn Off Ads?