Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1964 All-Star Game

1964 All-Star Game

I remember it very well. Johnny Callison homered off Dick Radtz in the 9th for a win for the NL.

Does anyone recognize the players and managers in this photo? I believe I can name most of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john...2F%3B480%3B311
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-16-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1964 All-Star Game

Marichal, Koufax, Clemente, Cardenas, Aaron? No idea who that tall Red is?

It was a month before my first birthday at the time. Great thread.

I believe the tall Red is Johnny Edwards
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I also see Walter Alston and it looks like Casey Stengel on the far right.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Marichal, Koufax, Clemente, Cardenas, Aaron? No idea who that tall Red is?

It was a month before my first birthday at the time. Great thread.
    Johnny Edwards was 6'4" and an all star that year.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Johnny Edwards was 6'4" and an all star that year.
    He must have been considered a giant at the time. He looks huge in that pic. What role did he play in that game?

Remember it well. the Phillies were the bomb with Johnny Callison, et al. My fellow 15 year olds gathered in front of our new color TV to watch. It was played in the afternoon (what a novel idea), and we sat with our soft drinks and ice cream to see what would happen. Callison was the star, but the season came down to the Reds blowing it all in the last days of the season. I was devastated. Still remember the WLW commercials talking about the "first place Cincinnati Reds." And then it all was over. Quick. Heck, I'm still mad about the Frank Robinson trade, almost 50 years later, but that's baseball. Old 30 my rear end.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

He must have been considered a giant at the time. He looks huge in that pic. What role did he play in that game?
    Edwards was a big guy that I thought would never be anything but a bench player. He came up during the pennant winning season in 1961 and hit .186 and gradually got better, but he was never an all star, I'm amazed I missed that,
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Not sure if Edwards even played.If my memory serves me right Joe Torre was the starting catcher for the NL.I think Mcarver was one of the backup catchers along with Edwards.

Johnny Edwards had one at bat; Joe Torre was the NL starter at catcher. Edwards and Smokey Burgess were the NL reserve catchers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

One way in which the 1964 all star game was so different than how tonight's game will be is that the starters played most of the game. On the NL team, Billy Williams, Willie Mays and Ken Boyer played the entire game, and Roberto Clemente, Dick Groat, Orlando Cepeda and Ron Hunt all had at least three at bats (Cepeda had four, being replaced in the ninth by Curt Flood as a pinch runner). On the AL team, Jim Fregosi, Brooks Robinson, Bobby Richardson and Elston Howard played the entire game, while Tony Oliva, Mickey Mantle, Harmon Killebrew and Bob Allison all had four plate appearances before leaving the game for defensive replacements and/or pinch runners.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The Times just ad a piece on this game a few days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/sp...?smid=pl-share
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    One way in which the 1964 all star game was so different than how tonight's game will be is that the starters played most of the game.
    You mean they actually cared about winning the game? Imagine that. Pride must have mattered to the non-millionaire players and the managers in those days. And I assume there was not some stupid thing about the winning side gets home field advantage for the WS in 1964? Must have been pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Times just ad a piece on this game a few days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/sp...?smid=pl-share
    Thanks for posting. This game didn't even sell out in 1964. At least by the way the players talked they did take it much more seriously. Lots of great players didn't even get in the game. Aaron only pinch hit in the 9th inning. 1964 was the year the Phillies blew a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 games left. One of the all time chokes in baseball history.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Callison wins the game with a homer......in a Mets helmet.

Turn Off Ads?