Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Vin Scully is a bore. I've listened and do not appreciate his calling of a game nor his overall style. Fire away.
    He never appealed to me either. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I grew up in an era when the Reds and Dodgers were the best rivalry in baseball (I still hate the Dodgers), but whatever the case, the guy bores me to death.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    As I said before, you can be a homer announcer. There are lots of them. But Thom isn't a homer announcer.
    Yeah, I heard you before. You were wrong then and you still are. At least you're consistent.

Whatever you want to say about Thom, this is not debatable: He's a Reds homer. If you don't agree, you haven't been paying close enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Vin Scully is a bore. I've listened and do not appreciate his calling of a game nor his overall style. Fire away.
    He's dry, but I like that over your Carey's and Hamilton types... I hate WE guys

I really liked Hank Greenwald, Bill King, Niehause, Ernie Hartwell, Jerry Coleman, Skip Carey was underrated,Jon Miller on the radio is great

Marty is great when on and in the past he was always on

It's hard being on for 40 years

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yeah, I heard you before. You were wrong then and you still are. At least you're consistent.
    Ah, the ol' "You're Wrong Because I Say You're Wrong" approach. Cunning.

Let's see, then. You're wrong because Thom's terrible at announcing Reds games because he tries to make mountains out of two grains of sand. He is better suited for NFL games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY6McvgeHAo

Can we all at least agree that Hawk Harrelson is terrible?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Captain13 (04-25-2013),Chip R (04-24-2013),dabvu2498 (04-25-2013)

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I was going to mention him but all this "Thomer" talk distracted me.

See also: Edwards, Jack*

* Whom I love as a Bruins fan because he's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    He also leaves out major details such as giving the score after someone hits an RBI double. Listeners must be told the score after a run crosses the plate!
    The other night on the radio, I heard Brantley mention the score twice in the same inning--but failed to say which team was leading either time. Had to sit in my car waiting for the inning to end before I could know who was winning.

Good lord, yes.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Well stated. It's why I think Thom is actually better on a national broadcast; he seems to check most of his disdain and dopey opinions at the door because he knows he has to be impartial. Listening to him call a Reds game almost physically hurts.
    Very astute observation and also one of my biggest issues with Thom.

If he were just a hack who did not know any better then it would be one thing. But he seems to save his objectivity for those days when the expanded national audience will be listening. Welsh, on the other hand, has done some Fox national games in the past and you would be hard-pressed to notice a difference in his style.

Thom uses his broadcast time on FSO as yet another opportunity for the prodigal son to remind everyone where he learned his chops. We can thank the Old Man for that one.

His 'Crumudgeon-in-Training' act is tired and Reds fans do not need Marty 2.0.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-26-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I happened to live in Chicago when he and the late Don Drysedale did games together for the White Sox. That was quite a pair. They had pitchforks and torches in their hands for every game.

Nope. I have a soft spot for him. I love the He Gone and you can put it on the board calls. Grew up with him and Tom Paciorek doing games on WGN. The only games I could watch then were Braves, Cubs and White Sox games here on cable. So out of the 3 broadcast teams the White Sox were my favorite. I like an announcer with a personality. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's dry, but I like that over your Carey's and Hamilton types... I hate WE guys

I really liked Hank Greenwald, Bill King, Niehause, Ernie Hartwell, Jerry Coleman, Skip Carey was underrated,Jon Miller on the radio is great

Marty is great when on and in the past he was always on

It's hard being on for 40 years
    Marty is a great pbp announcer. Where he lacks is he holds onto some shallow opinions about facets of the game that are grating. However, if its calling the action on the field, there is a very short list of peers with him, and Scully ain't one of 'em.

I think you hit the nail on the head for my Scully disdain. He does pbp like the reading of a last will and testament. Plus the one man gig requires him to talk constantly, and sometimes its actually about the play on the field.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Oh geez, that guy is absolutely terrible indeed. One of the worst baseball announcers ever.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    The other night on the radio, I heard Brantley mention the score twice in the same inning--but failed to say which team was leading either time. Had to sit in my car waiting for the inning to end before I could know who was winning.
    I loved Joe to death as a color guy, but there were times he was doing PBP and would go to commercial at the end of the inning and not say the score! I'd go out to my car sometimes on my lunch break and try to listen for a few minutes to see how it was going, and you talk about driving someone CRAZY. UGH!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I loved Joe to death as a color guy, but there were times he was doing PBP and would go to commercial at the end of the inning and not say the score! I'd go out to my car sometimes on my lunch break and try to listen for a few minutes to see how it was going, and you talk about driving someone CRAZY. UGH!
    haha- you always knew when Joe was on because he wouldn't say anything, but you could hear crowd murmuring and cups popping in the background.

This was before digital radio, and it was sometimes hard to tell if you were on 700 or not!

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-25-2013),Roy Tucker (04-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?