Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Knocks discussion (thread might have spoilers)

Re: Hard Knocks discussion (thread might have spoilers)

Nah, I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be surprised if HBO would do that. I will say it was the first time Marvin has really looked uncomfortable on camera to me though, so who knows.

It's funny to me how much I'm pulling for guys now that I wouldn't have given a ton of thought to otherwise, really hoping Chris Pressley and Tom Nelson both make the team. I also wish the Bengals would just cut James Johnson and keep 4 running backs, I hate to see them get rid of Leonard or Dorsey.

Donnie Walsh is a legend man!
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nah, I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be surprised if HBO would do that. I will say it was the first time Marvin has really looked uncomfortable on camera to me though, so who knows.

It's funny to me how much I'm pulling for guys now that I wouldn't have given a ton of thought to otherwise, really hoping Chris Pressley and Tom Nelson both make the team. I also wish the Bengals would just cut James Johnson and keep 4 running backs, I hate to see them get rid of Leonard or Dorsey.

Donnie Walsh is a legend man!
    I agree I picked Pressley to beat out everyone for the FB job when they signed him, I like the kid he's really what we need. I can't believe that Marvin likes Dorsey over Leonard just because of Dorsey blocking a punt "a couple of years ago". On offense (where we need the RB) Leonard is the better guy for what we currently need, he's a better blocker and receiver out of the backfield than Dorsey and a solid runner who could also play a little FB in a pinch. I'm sure the guy can play S/T's adequately enough. One of Marvins problems over the years IMO has been his insistence on keeping guys based on being more versatile. Sure that is nice to have but it's also the same reason we can't get to the QB with regularity, not enough pure pass rushers and too many DT/DE types.

The Donnie Walsh bit (one of the NBA's best personnel directors) was funny. I thought it was interesting Hayes pointed out that Bill Walsh coached under Paul Brown but didn't say anything about Walsh calling his offense the west coast offense that happened to originate in Cincy. And although Walsh has a nice coaching tree he studied under a good one there as well.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I particularly enjoyed Mike Brown telling Andre Smith that he needed to lose weight, and Marvin Lewis having to drive over a curb because the team hadn't fixed a gate that had (presumably) been broken for a while.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yeah, I laughed hard at Marvin having to drive over the curb. I also loved Jordan Palmer's website.

Roy Williams wearing the Laynce Nix throwback was pretty good, that's an interesting jersey to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I particularly enjoyed Mike Brown telling Andre Smith that he needed to lose weight, and Marvin Lewis having to drive over a curb because the team hadn't fixed a gate that had (presumably) been broken for a while.
    You could tell he wasn't happy about Andre showing up weighing as much as he did.

I can't believe his agent would agree to have that weight clause in his contract and then have Andre show up 30 or more pounds overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I can't believe that Marvin likes Dorsey over Leonard just because of Dorsey blocking a punt "a couple of years ago".
    And so right on cue Dorsey blocks a punt tonight and runs in it. How's that for timing!

I don't know how they cut either Leonard or Dorsey. Both bring a lot to the table. Unless they can work a trade to get a respectable backup o-lineman, I think you have to keep both. A running back will get hurt, and when it happens they'd have to activate someone that brings far less to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Roy Williams wearing the Laynce Nix throwback was pretty good, that's an interesting jersey to choose.
    CTrent said Tank and Roy became friends when they were with the Cowboys and Nix was with the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    And so right on cue Dorsey blocks a punt tonight and runs in it. How's that for timing!
    Astonishing, wow.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

The three running backs I would keep are Benson, Leonard and Scott (who I think has a chance to be something really special).

With Leonard, they get a big bruiser who can get you a tough yard or two, and he's very athletic to boot, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Dorsey just seems to fade away when the season starts. He's got no real discernible skill that can't be covered by some other member of the team.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    The three running backs I would keep are Benson, Leonard and Scott (who I think has a chance to be something really special).

With Leonard, they get a big bruiser who can get you a tough yard or two, and he's very athletic to boot, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Dorsey just seems to fade away when the season starts. He's got no real discernible skill that can't be covered by some other member of the team.
    I agree. I like Dorsey but he seems like a less talented version of B. Scott. No reason to have a duplicate player on the roster and give up a guy like Leonard who brings something different to the table..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I'd just as soon keep 4 RBs and only 2 TEs. Whoever the 3rd TE is (really the 5th considering Kelly and Utecht) is going to have no impact on this team, and if they get desperate they can always line Brad St. Louis up there.

I take it that the Bengals have seven or eight slots between HB, FB, and TE. If that's the case, I'd keep:
    Cedric Benson (I'm still not sold on him)
    Bernard Scott (will hopefully steal the starting position from Benson)
    DeDe Dorsey (mainly a special teams player)
    Brian Leonard (can also serve as backup FB)
    Jeremi Johnson (can still play despite his conditioning issues)
    Chase Coffman (may develop into something special)
    Dan Coats (can also play as a backup FB)
    And if there's room, I'd consider keeping one of the two guys vying for the last FB spot. I'd hate to cut both the leading candidates for the backup FB, but it's been a while since the Bengals have had a backup FB anyway, so I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I take it that the Bengals have seven or eight slots between HB, FB, and TE. If that's the case, I'd keep:
    Cedric Benson (I'm still not sold on him)
    Bernard Scott (will hopefully steal the starting position from Benson)
    DeDe Dorsey (mainly a special teams player)
    Brian Leonard (can also serve as backup FB)
    Jeremi Johnson (can still play despite his conditioning issues)
    Chase Coffman (may develop into something special)
    Dan Coats (can also play as a backup FB)
    And if there's room, I'd consider keeping one of the two guys vying for the last FB spot. I'd hate to cut both the leading candidates for the backup FB, but it's been a while since the Bengals have had a backup FB anyway, so I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.
    I'd go with:
    Benson (I agree, still don't trust him)
    Scott (If he doesn't steal it that means Benson is doing enough which is a good thing)
    Leonard
    J.J. (assuming they feel he is in shape)
    Pressley (love his physicality)
    Coffman
    Coats

Assuming we don't have a nice Veteran TE or RB become available from other cuts.

P/S:
    James Johnson
    Fui Vakapuna
    Matt Sherry

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?