Matt Harvey RHP
    Brandon Workman RHP
    Chevez Clarke OF
    Derek Dietrich SS
    Justin O'Conner SS
    Jarret Parker OF
    Leon Landry OF
    JaCoby Jones SS
    From what little I have read so far I'd highly consider taking Justin O'Conner in the 1st, ahead of Colon and maybe even ahead of Machado (though I'm torn on this one). Kid might just end up being the best catcher (or even 3B) in the draft if he doesn't pan out at SS. Don't like him for the mound though. And Grandal I'd pass on until later in the draft, his arm just isn't up to par. Love the Washington kid to though so if he is there I'd definitely snatch him up in round 2, just don't see it happening.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    From what little I have read so far I'd highly consider taking Justin O'Conner in the 1st, ahead of Colon and maybe even ahead of Machado (though I'm torn on this one). Kid might just end up being the best catcher (or even 3B) in the draft if he doesn't pan out at SS. Don't like him for the mound though. And Grandal I'd pass on until later in the draft, his arm just isn't up to par. Love the Washington kid to though so if he is there I'd definitely snatch him up in round 2, just don't see it happening.
    Well then surely you won't be happy with mlbbonusbaby's latest mock draft (released this week), which has the Reds taking Grandal at #12 overall. While I think 12 may be too high for him, I'd rather see Grandal there than Wimmers.

My revised order of preference goes like this:

1. D.Pomeranz LHP College
    2. M.Machado SS HS
    3. C.Colon SS College
    4. J.Sale OF HS
    5. A.Wilson OF HS

I'd love to see O'Connor in the 2nd round, but he probably won't fall that far. He's got too many questions about his future position for me to take him at 12. Plus, I'm not a big fan of taking HS catchers in the first round.

Some other interesting names to watch: Delino DeShields Jr. is a pretty good prospect in this draft. Don't be surprised to see the Reds reach for him in Rounds 3-5 with his old man on the payroll. There is a pitcher from University of Florida named Tommy Toledo. Great name, decent prospect. Finally, the University of Houston has a pitcher named Michael Goodnight that profiles as a reliever at the next level. In addition to the Ryan Wagner connection (relief pitcher from UH) I'd love to see the Reds have a future closer named "Goodnight." That would just be awesome.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-01-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Well then surely you won't be happy with mlbbonusbaby's latest mock draft (released this week), which has the Reds taking Grandal at #12 overall. While I think 12 may be too high for him, I'd rather see Grandal there than Wimmers.

2. M.Machado SS HS
    3. C.Colon SS College
    4. J.Sale OF HS
    5. A.Wilson OF HS

I'd love to see O'Connor in the 2nd round, but he probably won't fall that far. He's got too many questions about his future position for me to take him at 12. Plus, I'm not a big fan of taking HS catchers in the first round.

Some other interesting names to watch: Delino DeShields Jr. is a pretty good prospect in this draft. Don't be surprised to see the Reds reach for him in Rounds 3-5 with his old man on the payroll. There is a pitcher from University of Florida named Tommy Toledo. Great name, decent prospect. Finally, the University of Houston has a pitcher named Michael Goodnight that profiles as a reliever at the next level. In addition to the Ryan Wagner connection (relief pitcher from UH) I'd love to see the Reds have a future closer named "Goodnight." That would just be awesome.
    LMAO... I love the idea of drafting guys based on their names and future positions... No seriously, I'm not being sarcastic... would be pretty hilarious.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Give me Brentz if he's available. Would be a fast-comer, who could be in the majors in a couple years to stay. Good glove, good power, good eye. Has played against upper level competition in the Olympics and done well. Has a drive because he wasn't recruited to major programs after high school.

If no upper echelon prospects fall due to signing demands, Brentz is who I like.

Brentz would be a nice pick, but how about Michael Choice if Brentz is off the board when the Reds pick? Choice is an outfielder for UT-Arlington and is currently hitting .393/.563/.738 - 1.301 OPS with 56 BB/38 K in 145 atbats. Dude has an incredible eye at the plate. He's said to have plus-plus raw power and is an average runner. Based on his plate discipline, he could be a fast mover.

I'd prefer a guy with a plus arm, but, yeah, if the Reds are going for offense, he's a good pick, OBM. Nice call.

I would like to see a relatively high draft pick focusing on catcher. (2nd round may be a bit high, but the 3rd or 4th round HS tools guy would be a good gamble, IMO.) Then, pitching, pitching, pitching. And bats. Good ones. Cheap. They need to find an Albert Pujols and a Mike Piazza, too. Y'know, because it's easy, with good scouts.

Yeah not a fan of Grandal or Wimmers with that 1st pick, I'd say I'd be pretty disappointed with them.

2. M.Machado SS HS
    3. C.Colon SS College
    4. J.Sale OF HS
    5. A.Wilson OF HS

I suppose that is fair he afterall is likely a catcher or 3B in the pros with only adequate range at SS, according to the scouting report I read on him. That said the same scouting reports also weren't real big on either Machado's or Colon's range either (both a little better than O'Conners). So I view them all fairly close although O'Conner's arm (70 on the 80 scale) plays anywhere which is a difference maker between the 3 for me.

Goodnight, yeah I like it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The draft is one month away, and I am surprised at the lack of chatter on this board. Does anyone else have any opinions about different prospects that they'd like to share?
    Go BLUE!!!

IMO, without any study, just based on overall impression - Reds system has some pitching depth but is in serious need of bats. Would love to see the Reds take one or more polished college hitters in the first few rounds.

I'm liking UT-Arlington outfielder Michael Choice more and more every day. He would be a good choice (pun intended) at No. 12, IMO. Kevin Goldstein had a little tidbit on him today, saying he's shooting up the draft charts. He desribes Choice as having the total package - big, athletic, enough speed to play CF though he profiles best in RF, and he has plus raw power and arm strength. Oh, and his plate discipline is unreal, as he's got 59 walks in roughly 220 plate appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm liking UT-Arlington outfielder Michael Choice more and more every day. He would be a good choice (pun intended) at No. 12, IMO. Kevin Goldstein had a little tidbit on him today, saying he's shooting up the draft charts. He desribes Choice as having the total package - big, athletic, enough speed to play CF though he profiles best in RF, and he has plus raw power and arm strength. Oh, and his plate discipline is unreal, as he's got 59 walks in roughly 220 plate appearances.
    BPA BPA, but what about Jay Bruce? Assuming Choice won't have a long ETA because he is a college hitter, do we want another Alonso situation on our hands?

For the record, I am not yet convinced that Choice would be the BPA at 12. In the OF alone, I still like Sale, Wilson, and possibly Brentz better, not to mention Machado and Colon at SS and Pomeranz on the mound. That said, things can change quickly.
    Go BLUE!!!

BPA BPA, but what about Jay Bruce? Assuming Choice won't have a long ETA because he is a college hitter, do we want another Alonso situation on our hands?

For the record, I am not yet convinced that Choice would be the BPA at 12. In the OF alone, I still like Sale, Wilson, and possibly Brentz better, not to mention Machado and Colon at SS and Pomeranz on the mound. That said, things can change quickly.
    It's always a bad idea to draft for need rather than best available. You can always trade later. Worst case scenario, you can put the guy in LF and the defense would be sick!!

Choice can play left field too.

I know you don't draft for needs on the MLB team, but this team needs bats!

There is a nice enough window, perhaps 5-7 years, where we'll have good young pitching under control, with more on the way (hopefully).

So, this year, like others have said, get some great bats early and often, and then resume getting arms and SS's, and C's early on next year.

With all that goes on in FA and Walt's trades, this is a pretty silly tactic, but if it pans out that we can get some (or just one) heavy hitter up in less than 3 years, it could help a lot.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I know you don't draft for needs on the MLB team, but this team needs bats!

There is a nice enough window, perhaps 5-7 years, where we'll have good young pitching under control, with more on the way (hopefully).

So, this year, like others have said, get some great bats early and often, and then resume getting arms and SS's, and C's early on next year.

With all that goes on in FA and Walt's trades, this is a pretty silly tactic, but if it pans out that we can get some (or just one) heavy hitter up in less than 3 years, it could help a lot.
    Good organizations don't work with windows. You wind up with windows because of poor planning and drafting for need falls right in line with that.

Turn Off Ads?