Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Gruden Bengals next OC?

Jay Gruden Bengals next OC?

Profootball talk is reporting Jay Gruden is in Cincinnati, and likely to be the Bengals next OC. (brother of Jon)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Gruden Bengals next OC?

My favorite Louisville Cardinal QB!

It just fits perfectly. Mike Brown hires less competent family members of someone with actual talent (see Paul Brown's family, Jordan Palmer) so naturally Jay Gruden, with his wealth of AFL and UFL head coaching experience is a natural fit!

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    It just fits perfectly. Mike Brown hires less competent family members of someone with actual talent (see Paul Brown's family, Jordan Palmer) so naturally Jay Gruden, with his wealth of AFL and UFL head coaching experience is a natural fit!
    Dave Shula anyone?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Exactly what I thought when I first heard this.

I've been told the guy is crazy, in the Mike Zimmer mold. Maybe it will be good to bring that type of mentality to the offensive side of the ball.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Dave Shula anyone?
    Not even close. Jay Gruden has former head coaching experience (it may be Arena League, but the skillset required to manage assistants coaches, players, and team affairs is all the same), worked on his brother's staff on the Bucs team that went to the Super Bowl (actually working both gigs -- NFL and AFL -- at the same time), and was a pretty damn good quarterback in his own right (actually "un-retired" and went from coaching to become his team's starting QB for the Orlando Predators). Shula's resume was crap, by comparison.

I like the hire a lot. His brother got on my nerves as Tampa's head coach (with his bipolar treatment of his starting QBs and seeming lack of any long-term plan for the franchise), but the offense was always professional.

Carson Palmer should be thrilled today.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-03-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not even close. Jay Gruden has former head coaching experience (it may be Arena League, but the skillset required to manage assistants coaches, players, and team affairs is all the same), worked on his brother's staff on the Bucs team that went to the Super Bowl (actually working both gigs -- NFL and AFL -- at the same time), and was a pretty damn good quarterback in his own right (actually "un-retired" and went from coaching to become his team's starting QB for the Orlando Predators). Shula's resume was crap, by comparison.

I like the hire a lot. His brother got on my nerves as Tampa's head coach (with his bipolar treatment of his starting QBs and seeming lack of any long-term plan for the franchise), but the offense was always professional.

I was hoping Childress would get the job. I think there is a benefit to having former head coaches on your staff. They can help and critique you with game management issues that people who haven't been the decision maker can't. Its easy for a fan to sit back and say "he should never have done it" but in the heat of the moment the decision is much more complex and having someone who has been there before can help.

That said I like the Gruden hire. He may not be the tradition hire but he had coached at many different levels. He coached both in Arena league football and traditional NFL style football the UFL. He also has experience being on Tampa's staff. It will be fun to see how he implements both forms of offense into his play calling.

My gut is that I like this hire. He may not have NFL experience, but every coach has to start somewhere. The AFL and the UFL are not the same as the NFL, but he has been an assistant in the NFL.

My question is how much influence will he have on replacing some of the offensive coaches? And will he be enough to placate Carson Palmer and convince Benson to re-sign?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    My gut is that I like this hire. He may not have NFL experience, but every coach has to start somewhere. The AFL and the UFL are not the same as the NFL, but he has been an assistant in the NFL.

My question is how much influence will he have on replacing some of the offensive coaches? And will he be enough to placate Carson Palmer and convince Benson to re-sign?
    For his sake he better hope he can convince Palmer to stay. While Palmer isn't a world beater (I would trade him for a nice package) he still top half QB in the NFL. Without Palmer the Bengals are in trouble and starring Andrew Luck in the face next season.

Don't really get all the love for Benson. He had a nice run with the Bengals but I am not opening up the pocket books for him. I wonder how much tread he has left on his tires and would be content going with Scott + another RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I wasn't comparing him to Shula. Just naming another less famous family member hired by the Bengals.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    For his sake he better hope he can convince Palmer to stay. While Palmer isn't a world beater (I would trade him for a nice package) he still top half QB in the NFL. Without Palmer the Bengals are in trouble and starring Andrew Luck in the face next season.

Don't really get all the love for Benson. He had a nice run with the Bengals but I am not opening up the pocket books for him. I wonder how much tread he has left on his tires and would be content going with Scott + another RB.
    If there were a way to ensure the Bengals would be staring Andrew Luck in the face next season, I'd be all over it. I'd trade Palmer and bring on LeFevour in a second if it lead to Luck next year.

Knowing the Bengals, they'll tank the season but win just enough meaningless games at the end to lose out on Luck.
    Go BLUE!!!

From what I've read he seems like a good coach.

I like this better than hiring a retread who has failed in other jobs. We'll see. The next season really depends on Carson coming back, if he does I think they can be competitive. If he doesn't then they are a couple years away minimum regardless of coaching.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I like the hire. Childress was mentioned, but I'm not for his hiring as OC. He was a bad head coach in the NFL. Gruden at least was a championship caliber coach in the leagues he was in. It will be good to have a 'winning' mentality on the sidelines.

I admittedly did not watch a great deal of AFL programming, but the highlights were often face paced and high scoring. I hope he is able to bring that kind of offense to Cincinnati. If he can, I'm all for the hire. If he's Ced off tackle on 1st down over and over, then it doesn't matter.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I hope we go 0-16 next season, Marvin Lewis gets let go, we draft Andrew Luck with the #1 pick in the draft, and hire Jon Gruden as head coach.

Turn Off Ads?