Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Was 30 Years Ago Today....

It Was 30 Years Ago Today....

He would have been celebrating his 70th birthday. That's really hard to believe.

Dec. 8, 1980. That's a date every Beatles fan over 40 remembers: the day John Lennon was shot and killed. We all know where we were and what we were doing when we found out. It's hard to believe it's been 30 years - harder still to believe it happened at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120707593.html

I plan on listening to John's music, at various points, throughout the day in tribute.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It Was 30 Years Ago Today....

Rolling Stone releases Lennon's final interview
    By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer Nekesa Mumbi Moody, Ap Music Writer – 52 mins ago

NEW YORK – Three days before he was gunned down, John Lennon complained about his critics — saying they were just interested in "dead heroes" — and talked optimistically about his family and future, musing that he had "plenty of time" to accomplish some of his life goals.

Lennon's final interview was released to The Associated Press by Rolling Stone on Wednesday, the 30th anniversary of the musician's death. The issue using the full interview will be on magazine stands on Friday. While brief excerpts of Jonathan Cott's interview with Lennon were released for a 1980 Rolling Stone cover story days after Lennon's death, this is the first time the entire interview has been published.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/...on_anniversary
    Here's the web-exclusive companion coverage to the piece:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/239168

Such a shame. Such a stupid waste. Life is so precious.

Not that he was going to cure cancer or anything, but John was shaping up to be a good man to have in this world for the next 40-50 years.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

One of the best and most talented musicians in history. What a shame and a loss. I too will be loading up on my Lennon and Beatles on the iPod over the next few days. I was aware this was coming up for several days.

Yoko on the other hand is one of the worst musicians of all time and yet another example of opposites attract.

For those of you with Sirius/XM, there is a free McCartney concert this Monday night 12/13 live at the Apollo. I will be tuning in.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Even 30 years later, Lennon's death seems like a recent tragedy. It was sickening and senseless at the time, and still is today. I can remember sitting on the couch watching TV, and ABC interrupting the show for a news break to announce Lennon's murder. One of those moments in life you never, ever forget, regardless how much time passes.

I was nearly 13 years old when John Lennon was killed. I remember telling my mom that I was sick the next morning so that I could stay home from school and listen to all of the tributes that were taking place on FM radio.

On another note, I just listened to the archived clip of Howard Cosell debating with Frank Gifford about how/if they should announce Lennon's death to the Monday Night Football audience that evening:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5884604

First of all, I desperately miss Cosell as a broadcast personality. My other take away was that, for most people, the MNF broadcast was the first notification that they had about the tragedy.

No internet, no cable news shows, no cell phones. How utterly bizarre it is that this event played a role in the pop culture evolution for Monday Night Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I was nearly 13 years old when John Lennon was killed. I remember telling my mom that I was sick the next morning so that I could stay home from school and listen to all of the tributes that were taking place on FM radio.

On another note, I just listened to the archived clip of Howard Cosell debating with Frank Gifford about how/if they should announce Lennon's death to the Monday Night Football audience that evening:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5884604

First of all, I desperately miss Cosell as a broadcast personality. My other take away was that, for most people, the MNF broadcast was the first notification that they had about the tragedy.

No internet, no cable news shows, no cell phones. How utterly bizarre it is that this event played a role in the pop culture evolution for Monday Night Football.

MNF was the first I had heard about it. Remember it very well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I had completely forgotten the news was broken during the Monday Night Football telecast. For some reason I remembered I was watching ABC, which of course aired MNF back then, but I didn't remember it was during the game. I still seem to remember ABC news interrupting the programming to make an announcement also, maybe after Cosell gave the news? I watched the clip but it ends before anything official was aired. I would like to hear the rest of that discussion Cosell and Gifford were having. They were obviously upset about the news, as we all were.

Does anyone else find it crazy that the Lennon anniversary has gotten more pub than the Pearl Harbor anniversary (yesterday)?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Does anyone else find it crazy that the Lennon anniversary has gotten more pub than the Pearl Harbor anniversary (yesterday)?
    I don't think it means anything other than the Lennon murder was much more recent and there's more likely to be people on RedsZone that were alive at the time and remember when it happened. But that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I too will be loading up
    Heh, I thought you were going in another direction at first there...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Heh, I thought you were going in another direction at first there...
    Well that too. Puffy is stopping by for a listening party.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I grew up on the Beatles, my dad was a huge fan. I remember singing along to tons of his songs as a kid on the radio. Didn't have a clue who he was until much later in life though. I was born in 74, so I was all of 6 when he was killed.

Terrible shame, even 30 years later.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It's amazing how the power of music, and this man's power with it, can touch the hearts of so many millions of people for so long. I haven't listened to a Beatles song in months, but used to do nothing but for about 3 years. I'm very thankful for all those times.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It wasn't a "milestone" anniversary for Pearl Harbor. Next year kind of is.

Although 30 years isn't much of a milestone either.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?