Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dusty

2012 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dusty

Ok, I admit it. I howled like crazy when the Reds hired him. I thought it was a hire they totally botched. I couldn't believe that we had a supposed upcoming team of young pitchers and players who had the potential to be good, and we hired who? The guy who ruins young arms? The guy who plays over the hill utility type of veterans instead of young studs. Who needs that Canadian, when you have Scott Freaking Hatteberg. And even if he DOES play the young guys, he can't make out a lineup to save his life....come on man, CF and SS bat 1 and 2. Catchers have to bat eighth, it's a rule, can't have their slowness "clogging up the bases". I still complained about him, after winning seasons in a row, after making the playoffs. He was holding the team back. He can't manage a bullpen, and for god's sake............WILLY TAVERAS AND COREY PATTERSON. Drew Stubbs 1? or 2? You can't play Ryan Ludwick........it's the end of May, and he's batting .200, are you kidding me? What? Leave Chapman in the pen? No way, he's Randy Johnson, I KNOW it! Wait, who's playing SS twice a week? Valdez? Hang on, Votto's out for 3-6 weeks? And we're playing Cairo? Not a chance...........can we tread water until he comes back? I just want to be withing striking distance of the Pirates when he's finally back.........please? Play the veteran at 3b? He's washed up, nothing left in the tank. Let's get him to retire at the break. Frazier needs to play every day. Wait, it's the middle of September? Our guys are fresh? The Cards are weary and beat up? Pittsburgh who? Didn't we just run over them like a runaway freight train? Maybe he does know what he's doing. I'll shut up now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dusty

I couldn't care less when they signed him, but I now think that his intangibles and his ability to get the most out of his players make up for his lack of skill in lineup construction.

Also, post title of the decade.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

The thing that gets overlooked the easiest; the thing can only be appreciated by those that play for him and those that follow the team daily; the thing that may be the most important part during the regular season* is how Dusty communicates with his players and manages personalities.

For instance, Joey needed a day off early in the season, Dusty pulls him aside, tells him he wants to give him a day off and lets Joey work with him on the date to sit down. Dusty knows he wants Joey's bat in there as much as possible, but he also recognizes that by working with Joey on the day he sits, Joey feels like he has a little bit of control. How many times do we here that "so and so" has a "scheduled day off". You get the impression that Dusty tells his players exactly what he expects of them, and rarely takes it to the media. I'm not in the clubhouse, so this is all my observation, but I get the impression that Dusty realizes baseball is a marathon of 162 games and rather than reacting to every situation that arises, he plans days off, moves up/down the order a week or more in advance; he lets his players know he's going to make a move, and probably explains it to such a degree that I can't remember any players complaining to the press that they sat this day or that day, don't like where they're hitting, etc...

note* regular season managing and postseason managing I'd imagine are largley different animals. You can plan well in advance during the regular season, skip a starter or push him back and let him know a week in advance. You may well decide to start Cueto on 3 days rest b/c you find yourself down 2 games to none in a 5 game set and you know the team's psyche needs that win to believe it can come back.

Dr. Merkwuerdigliebe.

Now I have an image in my head of Jeff Brantley waving a cowboy hat while riding a nuclear bomb.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Dr. Merkwuerdigliebe.

Now I have an image in my head of Jeff Brantley waving a cowboy hat while riding a nuclear bomb.
    Is that nuclear bomb named "Marty?"

.....and I like Marty, by the way!

For me, Dusty fits in with the Adam Dunns of the world. He's not as good as people say, but he's not as bad as people say either. I disliked the signing, but he's getting the job done. It's impossible to say exactly how much credit he deserves for that, but it's clear to me that he's "good enough" to win. Could the Reds upgrade? Maybe. But I'm not going to clamor for change as long as the team keeps winning.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Is that nuclear bomb named "Marty?"

.....and I like Marty, by the way!
    Maybe. Actually I imagine Marty ranting about how fluoridation is a plot by the communists to pollute our bodily fluids.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Maybe. Actually I imagine Marty ranting about how fluoridation is a plot by the communists to pollute our bodily fluids.
    It isn't?

And Dusty just went with J.J. Hoover to close out a one-run win with the division title in sight. That right there is a meme-smashing event.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

IDWT = In Dusty We Trusty
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Dr. Merkwuerdigliebe.

The bomb would have to be sponsored by Montgomery Inn or UDF.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I agree that Dusty isn't as bad as some people say. And I agree he brings intangibles to his teams. BUT.......I don't think he'll ever win a World Series because he's stubborn as heck and won't change some of the ways he does things, such as silly lineup construction where the CFer and SS most often bat in the first two slots and the catcher always bats 8th because he's slow. Even if Hanigan were batting .350, I don't think Dusty would bat him higher. Dusty is just way too hard headed for me.

I like him as a person, but strategically he can be a mule.

I might get a lot of flack for this, but I think part of the reason for Hanigan batting low in the lineup is to avoid having him change out of his catching equipment. As ridiculous as that might sound, I'm being totally serious. If that's what's going on, I doubt Baker would admit it though. But as "player's manager", I think he wants his catcher to get comfortable and maximize his ability to work with the starting pitcher early in the game. It's the "mental" part of the game if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree that Dusty isn't as bad as some people say. And I agree he brings intangibles to his teams. BUT.......I don't think he'll ever win a World Series because he's stubborn as heck and won't change some of the ways he does things, such as silly lineup construction where the CFer and SS most often bat in the first two slots and the catcher always bats 8th because he's slow. Even if Hanigan were batting .350, I don't think Dusty would bat him higher. Dusty is just way too hard headed for me.

I like him as a person, but strategically he can be a mule.
    Not feeling the love, huh?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    You get the impression that Dusty tells his players exactly what he expects of them, and rarely takes it to the media. I'm not in the clubhouse, so this is all my observation, but I get the impression that Dusty realizes baseball is a marathon of 162 games and rather than reacting to every situation that arises, he plans days off, moves up/down the order a week or more in advance; he lets his players know he's going to make a move, and probably explains it to such a degree that I can't remember any players complaining to the press that they sat this day or that day, don't like where they're hitting, etc...
    Nothing can be more maddening than reading a quote from Dusty, if you are hoping to actually learn something. As far as I can tell, he rarely says anything meaningful to reporters, like he has this "Crash Davis" list of statments he pulls out to give them a quote for the story.

"That was some quality pitching right there, by Bailey."
    "We're working on making every out count out there."
    "It's a long season, we have to keep grinding it out."
    "I think we won a good one right there."
    etc.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?