Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    1. Not sure about Lincoln, but I'd rather have Fisher or Ramirez on the roster.

2. I'm hoping for a trade or two that frees up room and addesses some problems, but assuming none, I'd guess the Reds will try to protect their own rather than lock themselves into a guy they have to keep on the roster.

3. I'd say some team with a rock solid starting catcher may try to save some money and take Miller, Tatum or Denove. The Reds need a 100 game starter to pair with Hanigan and that isn't either Tatum or Denove, but either could be a nice 40 game per year back-up.

4. Wells is a free agent so he won't be on the roster unless he's signed by Nov 20. I'd personally cut Lecure loose and protect Denove instead, but I think the Reds will keep Lecure around.
    I'd probably protect Denove and let Castillo ride, his injury may very well keep him protected. And of course I like Lutz so I'd keep him and let Sutton blow in the wind.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

mth, your 40-man roster looks mighty close to what I envision happening, except I see the Reds protecting Denove and exposing Castillo, and I also see Jukich being protected. How? Some small deal gets done before Nov. 20 involving some other pitcher on the bubble, most likely Bray, Fisher or Lecure, but possibly someone like Owings if the team feels comfortable slotting Ramirez, Lehr or Maloney as the long man in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd probably protect Denove and let Castillo ride, his injury may very well keep him protected. And of course I like Lutz so I'd keep him and let Sutton blow in the wind.
    I'm not optimistic about Castillo, but he was highly regarded in AZ system before the Dunn trade and since Walt traded for him, Dusty seems to like him and he's a versatile switch hitter who could likely get picked and easily be kept on by the picking team as a 25th man it makes more sense to protect him. The drawback for the Reds is that they need him to be a catcher who can start 80 plus times per year and I'm not optimistic, but as a end of the bench multi-position guy who also switch hits he can be useful enough that a team taking him in rule 5 wouldn't have much trouble keeping him on the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not optimistic about Castillo, but he was highly regarded in AZ system before the Dunn trade and since Walt traded for him, Dusty seems to like him and he's a versatile switch hitter who could likely get picked and easily be kept on by the picking team as a 25th man it makes more sense to protect him. The drawback for the Reds is that they need him to be a catcher who can start 80 plus times per year and I'm not optimistic, but as a end of the bench multi-position guy who also switch hits he can be useful enough that a team taking him in rule 5 wouldn't have much trouble keeping him on the roster.
    How optimistic would a team have to be to take a blind shot in the dark on a catcher with a recently torn labrum? Anything is possible but like you say they need him to be something that only Dusty might see a future in.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    How optimistic would a team have to be to take a blind shot in the dark on a catcher with a recently torn labrum? Anything is possible but like you say they need him to be something that only Dusty might see a future in.
    Point is a team taking him would view him as a multi-position guy who can catch and switch hit and that is kind of easy for a team to claim in rule 5 and keep on the roster since he doesn't really hurt your overall positional coverage. He can be an OF, 2B, 3B and C while hitting from both sides of the plate. Teams could and will do worse for a 25th man. Meanwhile, you wait him out and see if whatever it is that made him the number 4 prospect in a decent AZ system ever emerges. Other than a power arm that can be hidden as a mop-up man, he seems to be the kind of guy almost made for rule 5.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

But is Castillo going to be a good enough 25th man for a good team with a chance to contend and plenty of money to spend on an established, useful guy? And is he ever going to be enough of a difference maker to be taken by one of the weaker teams--a team like the Reds, for instance? Would we take him if he were being exposed by another team. I doubt it, which is also why I think there's really only the slimmest chance we lose anything of much value in the Rule 5, provided we protect the projectable arms.

Surprising to me, the Reds took Ramon Ramirez off the roster today and he did not make it through waivers. He was claimed by Tampa Bay. Castillo also taken off the 40-man but signed to a minor league deal. McDonald elected free agency, could still be re-signed. He will get a pretty good minor league deal financially.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Surprising to me, the Reds took Ramon Ramirez off the roster today and he did not make it through waivers. He was claimed by Tampa Bay. Castillo also taken off the 40-man but signed to a minor league deal. McDonald elected free agency, could still be re-signed. He will get a pretty good minor league deal financially.
    Surprising that they tried to get him through waivers or that he was taken?

I was surprised that they tried to get him through waivers. Still more moves to come, but I would have expected Thompson and Lincoln to be removed from the 40-man and maybe LeCure among the pitchers before I would have expected Ramirez. Among the position players, perhaps Drew Sutton or Adam Rosales before Ramirez. They used Ramirez in some fairly key situations late in the season and he showed promise (Tampa Bay must have thought so). I am guessing one or two more players come off the roster and Wells goes into free agency. If they re-sign Hernandez and Gomes, you will have about six open spots for the likes of Wood, Heisey, Valaika, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Del Rosario, Jordan Smith, etc.

I was surprised that they tried to get him through waivers. Still more moves to come, but I would have expected Thompson and Lincoln to be removed from the 40-man and maybe LeCure among the pitchers before I would have expected Ramirez. Among the position players, perhaps Drew Sutton or Adam Rosales before Ramirez. They used Ramirez in some fairly key situations late in the season and he showed promise (Tampa Bay must have thought so). I am guessing one or two more players come off the roster and Wells goes into free agency. If they re-sign Hernandez and Gomes, you will have about six open spots for the likes of Wood, Heisey, Valaika, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Del Rosario, Jordan Smith, etc.
    Agreed. Poor move, in my opinion. There are lesser guys, some injured, still on the roster.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Reds are as high on Dorn as some would suggest here. We will find out soon enough if I am wrong or others are wrong. Based on what I have heard, I just don't think they feel he can play any position defensively at an adequate level by big league standards.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the Reds are as high on Dorn as some would suggest here. We will find out soon enough if I am wrong or others are wrong. Based on what I have heard, I just don't think they feel he can play any position defensively at an adequate level by big league standards.
    That is what I hear as well, but I just don't buy into that the way that they do. If the Reds don't protect him I would be flat out shocked if someone didn't take him.

If Dorn isn't protected, some of the Reds' personnel needs to be fired imo. If the Reds don't like him, the least they could do is put him on the 40-man roster and trade him away for something worth more than the $50,000 they would get when they lose him in the rule five draft.

I hope they protect Dorn as well. I always saw him as a platoon left fielder and pinch hitter. With his power he would surely be taken in Rule 5.

If there is one sure thing about the direction of the organization, it is that they are unwilling to sacrifice defense for offense. Apparently, this holds for LF as well. I don't think other clubs necessarily see things that way. Even if the Reds do not like his defense, it seems wise to me to incur the cost of protecting him, hope that he can put up good power numbers next year, and include him in a trade.

I'd certainly protect Dorn; I think he will be taken; I'd protect him, if necessary, before Valaika, who's, IMHO, a lot less likely to be taken. I'm a little surprised about Ramirez but maybe a little pleased they've not dropped the obvious guy Thompson. That they have not perhaps suggests they expect a decentish recovery from him. If they still project him as a potential starter, that could account for his being held rather than Ramirez.

Turn Off Ads?