Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping score a dying art.

Re: Keeping score a dying art.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My scoring pad had ketchup stains.
    Please tell me the ketchup didn't drip off a hot dog.

2. Turn Off Ads?

my first realish job when i was 15 was keeping score at a nearby little league field. paid 6.25 a game all my friends would come hang out in press box with me. did it for 3 summers until i moved for college. spent all my money on baseball cards. life was so simple then. havet touched a scorebook in 20+ years. kinda sad thinking about it

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Please tell me the ketchup didn't drip off a hot dog.
    YES!!!

Went to Old Comiskey with my wife (prior to being wife) she went to get dogs, came back with mine and it had ketchup.

Still to this day I needle her about that gaffe

My wife eats her hot dogs with ketchup and mayonnaise. No mustard. The things we do for love.

I think keeping score at games is still going strong. I have found that the further away you get from home plate, the more people you will see keeping score. Also, any day game will have exponentially more people keeping score than night games.

I keep score for a lot of the games I go to. Usually if I don't keep score it's because I'm at a new stadium and know I will want to explore or if I'm with a bunch of friends who might want to move around all game. If I'm keeping score then I'm keeping score the whole game.

What I really need is a nice scorebook with a bunch of pages. I generally just pick up a card from fan accommodations but those are pretty cramped and generally don't have a lot of style. The one I really want is the Halfliner from Eephus. I just need to convince myself that spending $30 on a scorebook is worth it.

http://eephusleague.com/2013/06/the-halfliner/

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I keep score but I don't do it correctly. Or, more accurately, I rock my own brand of scoring.
    Somewhere around here I have Paul Dickson' The Joy of Keeping Score, which details many forms of the art. In short, unless your numbers don't add up at the end, your scoring is probably not "wrong". When I was in Cincinnati and going to games regularly, I had my own system of detail to record how the ball was hit, what the count was when a player made contact, all sorts of stuff that I feel is important to know as a game progresses.
    Also, it makes sound like a baseball genius when when an opposing batter comes up in the eighth and you can say something like "He's gone the other way three times tonight."
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

9. Likes:

vaticanplum (08-30-2013)

When my wife and I started dating, she knew she was going to have to become a baseball fan, not just someone tolerant of baseball. From he get-go I taught her how to score a game and to this day she does at every single game we go to. She absolutely loves it and it has very much become "our thing". We have a scrapbook with all of our scorecards since we've been married and other relevant Reds' clippings. Sometimes when I'm away for work shell text me and ask how to score something while she's watching the game on TV at home. I couldnt be luckier.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-29-2013),BRM13 (08-29-2013),oneupper (08-29-2013)

Do they even sell scorecards at the game anymore. Not programs, which have the scorecard in the middle, but just the scorecard.

I remember buying one at every game as a kid, 50 cents for each scorecard, 25 cents for a pencil. I always hated myself when I forgot to bring a pencil and had to shell over the extra quarter.

There's a gigantic stack of them in the attic of the house I grew up in. One of my greatest treasures are the few old Dodgers-Giants ones my Dad kept from his days growing up in NY. Scorecards with the names of Robinson, Snider, Reece, Mays, Mize written in them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Theyre free at fan accommodations.

14. Likes:

757690 (08-29-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    YES!!!

Went to Old Comiskey with my wife (prior to being wife) she went to get dogs, came back with mine and it had ketchup.

Still to this day I needle her about that gaffe
    Ketchup is for french fries and meatloaf.

It has no place at the ball park. And neither do french fries or meatloaf.

And don't get me started on catsup.
    sorry we're boring

16. Likes:

remdog (08-30-2013)

Keeping score a dying art.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
    I think keeping score at games is still going strong. I have found that the further away you get from home plate, the more people you will see keeping score. Also, any day game will have exponentially more people keeping score than night games.

I keep score for a lot of the games I go to. Usually if I don't keep score it's because I'm at a new stadium and know I will want to explore or if I'm with a bunch of friends who might want to move around all game. If I'm keeping score then I'm keeping score the whole game.

What I really need is a nice scorebook with a bunch of pages. I generally just pick up a card from fan accommodations but those are pretty cramped and generally don't have a lot of style. The one I really want is the Halfliner from Eephus. I just need to convince myself that spending $30 on a scorebook is worth it.

http://eephusleague.com/2013/06/the-halfliner/
    If you are looking for a really nice scorebook I recommend Bob Carpenter's scorebook. He has different versions but his fan scorebook is a nice size for taking to the park as has 100 games in it. I have used his scorebooks for years and they are the best I have seen.

http://www.bcscorebook.com/

When I learned to score, almost 50 years ago, my dad taught me LF = 9, RF = 7.

Stickin with it.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-29-2013),cumberlandreds (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Do they even sell scorecards at the game anymore. Not programs, which have the scorecard in the middle, but just the scorecard
    I believe different stadiums do it differently. Most still have separate scorecards; some free, most about a dollar.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

21. Likes:

757690 (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    When I learned to score, almost 50 years ago, my dad taught me LF = 9, RF = 7.

Stickin with it.
    Must be dyslectic

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Theyre free at fan accommodations.
    Jeez, really? I'll have to remember that. I always buy one from a vendor for like $1.50. Plus I usually don't have a pencil (yes, I use pencil, I make mistakes) so I buy one of those too. I have a lot of Reds pencils at home.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?