Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

26 26.00%
  • Danny Dorn

16 16.00%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Ryan Hanigan

3 3.00%
  • Chris Heisey

2 2.00%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

1 1.00%
  • Devin Mesoraco

17 17.00%
  • Ramon Ramirez

5 5.00%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

6 6.00%
  • Josh Roenicke

6 6.00%
  • Adam Rosales

2 2.00%
  • Zach Stewart

11 11.00%
  • Justin Turner

4 4.00%
  • Pedro Viola

1 1.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect #5 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect #6 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect #7 - Daryl Thompson
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect #9 - Juan Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #10 prospect?

I went with Chris Dickerson. He's a little older than your normal prospect but he's a plus defender in center, he's got great on-base skills, and his power showed signs of development in 2008. He's got a chance at turning himself into an above average major league center fielder IMO. I considered Dorn here but I'll go with him at #11.

Voted Dorn again. I don't see why Hildenbrandt isn't on the list, as a starter with a higher ceiling than any starter on the list (with possible exception of Viola if he remains a starter).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Went with Mesoraco again. He has the tools and athleticism to be good behind the plate, its just going to take him a little time like it does with nearly all catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Voted Dorn again. I don't see why Hildenbrandt isn't on the list, as a starter with a higher ceiling than any starter on the list (with possible exception of Viola if he remains a starter).
    I'll add him on the next poll.

I've been voting a lot of Dickerson, and like him considerably, but it's awfully tough to compare a 26-year-old with, say, a 16-year-old. So I settled upon a clearer way to make the call: Which player would you be least willing to include in a trade? By that standard, I went with Yorman Rodriguez.

Last year, Redszone ranked Matt Maloney #7 on this list. His work leading up to that vote:

Maloney 2007 AA: 9.0 K/9, 2.8 BB/9

Then, he moved up to AAA this year, and did this:

Maloney 2008 AAA: 8.4 K/9, 2.5 BB/9

And he is getting pretty much zero votes at this point. At this rate he could be around into the 20s.

So what happened to make people turn on Maloney so quickly? Three possibilities:

1. Maloney's performance in 2008 was a lot worse than his track record, causing people to downgrade him as a prospect. (not likely since he was pretty similar to his career #s. if someone doesn't like him because he's a soft tosser, they wouldn't have liked him last year either)
    2. The Reds had a ton of prospects who had great years in 2008, causing them to skyrocket past Maloney on the prospect chart. (maybe a little truth to this, but doubtful it would cause him to drop 10-15 spots)
    3. People base their opinions largely on hype - last offseason Maloney was coming off of three really good starts at the end of the year in Louisville. This year he had a not so good ERA, so the hype around him is gone.

You can probably guess which of the three I think happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    1. Maloney's performance in 2008 was a lot worse than his track record, causing people to downgrade him as a prospect. (not likely since he was pretty similar to his career #s. if someone doesn't like him because he's a soft tosser, they wouldn't have liked him last year either)
    2. The Reds had a ton of prospects who had great years in 2008, causing them to skyrocket past Maloney on the prospect chart. (maybe a little truth to this, but doubtful it would cause him to drop 10-15 spots)
    3. People base their opinions largely on hype - last offseason Maloney was coming off of three really good starts at the end of the year in Louisville. This year he had a not so good ERA, so the hype around him is gone.

For me, it's #2. If you look at my post history, you'll see I'm a pretty big fan of Matt Maloney. I've always said I think he could develop into a fine innings eating #4 starter. But back to the main point, the reason I dropped him is because of the development of other prospects like Soto and Thompson and the new arrivals of others like Alonso and Duran. I figure I'll vote for him somewhere around 15-20.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Last year, Redszone ranked Matt Maloney #7 on this list. His work leading up to that vote:

Maloney 2007 AA: 9.0 K/9, 2.8 BB/9

Then, he moved up to AAA this year, and did this:

Maloney 2008 AAA: 8.4 K/9, 2.5 BB/9

And he is getting pretty much zero votes at this point. At this rate he could be around into the 20s.

So what happened to make people turn on Maloney so quickly? Three possibilities:

Personally, I was never high on Maloney. Last year I ranked him as my #19 prospect and this year my #29 prospect. I just don't simply see him as an overly good prospect. He is a fly ball pitcher with an average at best fastball and after watching him a lot last year, he works up in the zone with his fastball a lot which doesn't bode well in my eyes.

Does anybody know how deep the draft class is projected to be next year? This system could definitely use an infusion of starters.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    For me, it's #2. If you look at my post history, you'll see I'm a pretty big fan of Matt Maloney. I've always said I think he could develop into a fine innings eating #4 starter. But back to the main point, the reason I dropped him is because of the development of other prospects like Soto and Thompson and the new arrivals of others like Alonso and Duran. I figure I'll vote for him around 15-17.
    I'd 2nd this. Maloney I think can be a decent 4 or most likely 5. But his tumble has less to do with him and a whole lot more to do with more talented guys passing him. Like OBM pointed out Soto, Thompson and Alonso additions to the top ten put him lower.

But I'll go one more for ya last off-season (when we voted) he was a Double A pitcher going to AAA. This season he was a solid contributor at AAA who never got a look at the big league level despite the need for someone to take that #5 spot and run with it. The fact that they never gave him that look tells me that they have serious reservations at best about him. Which is enough to take some of that shine off, which was helping him get consideration last off-season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't trust Dickerson's health

He has had something like 4-5 surgeries on his shoulder and legs already

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Personally, I was never high on Maloney. Last year I ranked him as my #19 prospect and this year my #29 prospect. I just don't simply see him as an overly good prospect. He is a fly ball pitcher with an average at best fastball and after watching him a lot last year, he works up in the zone with his fastball a lot which doesn't bode well in my eyes.
    We've been over this many times... and I've corrected you on the "extreme flyball pitcher" thing at least twice. I guess you have toned it down to just "flyball pitcher", which is a start. Anyway that's not the point. Not liking Maloney's stuff would cause you to vote Maloney equally low both last year and this year.

Virtually nothing about Maloney has changed from what he was last year. If you didn't like him last year you probably still don't. What I'm pointing out are the people who liked him last year but don't anymore - why is that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    For me, it's #2. If you look at my post history, you'll see I'm a pretty big fan of Matt Maloney. I've always said I think he could develop into a fine innings eating #4 starter. But back to the main point, the reason I dropped him is because of the development of other prospects like Soto and Thompson and the new arrivals of others like Alonso and Duran. I figure I'll vote for him somewhere around 15-20.
    The top four from last year's vote have graduated, the only ones back who were higher than Maloney last year are Frazier and Stubbs. So voting him 15-20 means you think around 15 other prospects jumped him this season. Certainly that is up to you, just pointing out that it's not just the fast risers passing Maloney. It's half the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    But I'll go one more for ya last off-season (when we voted) he was a Double A pitcher going to AAA. This season he was a solid contributor at AAA who never got a look at the big league level despite the need for someone to take that #5 spot and run with it. The fact that they never gave him that look tells me that they have serious reservations at best about him. Which is enough to take some of that shine off, which was helping him get consideration last off-season.
    I think that's a fair point and I would file it into the "hype" category. I suppose we will see this year what the Reds FO does think of him, I'd imagine at some point they will have to either give him a shot or trade him. His value will keep dropping the longer they let him sit in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?