Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frazier #1, Alonso #9 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet. Dontrelle gets a mention.

Frazier #1, Alonso #9 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet. Dontrelle gets a mention.

From Baseball America:

"I see him some days and he looks like a bona fide third-base prospect who possibly could play every day," said one scout. "Then a couple days he chases pitches out of the zone. I don't know what to make of him, but he got the job done at third base."
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...1/2611732.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frazier #1, Alonso #9 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet. Dontrelle gets a mention.

Wow, that's great news about his defense. If he provides the answer as a backup 3B and utility infielder, he'd give the Reds a lot more stability at the position for this season and next, and he'd give us the ability to see what we can get for Francisco in a trade.

These Louisville Bats all seem to be on the verge of forcing themselves through.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

From what I recall, his defense at third has never gotten questioned. He got moved to other spots simply because of the needs of OTHER players and possible holes in the big club. But he's always been considered an adequate defender at third.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    From what I recall, his defense at third has never gotten questioned. He got moved to other spots simply because of the needs of OTHER players and possible holes in the big club. But he's always been considered an adequate defender at third.
    True, but "adequate" and "league average" are different things, to me at least. Adequate tells me that his bat has to be pretty impressive to consider him, league average tells me that he's got the stuff to be a legitimate MLB starter. Besides, it certainly helps to have a player on the bench with his bat and the ability to play a multitude of positions.

That said, unless we move Cairo's contract or we have another injury, I don't think we'll see him in the majors this season. As we all know, Dusty tends to prefer veterans and sure things over prospects.

Reds related questions from today's BA chat:

Kyle (Middletown): Do you think that Todd Frazier will be a better all around third baseman in the big leagues than Juan Francisco?

Ben Badler: I do, and I don't think it's even close.

Steve (Cincinatti): How good is Yasmani Grandal's bat and is there a chance he sees time in the majors this season?

Ben Badler: Love the bat, easily one of the five best true catching prospects in the minors, but ZERO percent chance he's in Cincinnati this season.

Lloyd (Lakewood): So, is the Yonder to LF thing realistic, or is he still trade bait, blocked by Votto?

Ben Badler: It wouldn't be ideal, but it's doable. If the Reds are willing to put up with Jonny Gomes' well-below-average defense in left field, I don't see why they wouldn't do it with Alonso. On the other hand, if they can deal him for a legitimate shortstop...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...1/2611741.html

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    True, but "adequate" and "league average" are different things, to me at least. Adequate tells me that his bat has to be pretty impressive to consider him, league average tells me that he's got the stuff to be a legitimate MLB starter. Besides, it certainly helps to have a player on the bench with his bat and the ability to play a multitude of positions.

That said, unless we move Cairo's contract or we have another injury, I don't think we'll see him in the majors this season. As we all know, Dusty tends to prefer veterans and sure things over prospects.
    Well, that choice of words was mine...not scouts or writers. Average is what I heard & read most. Solid is another word tossed around for him. Basically, his defense was always thrown in as an afterthought...like it's not a great skill for him, but it's certainly not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Well, that choice of words was mine...not scouts or writers. Average is what I heard & read most. Solid is another word tossed around for him. Basically, his defense was always thrown in as an afterthought...like it's not a great skill for him, but it's certainly not a concern.
    I gotcha. No worries, man.

Neat BA chat. Don't see why we need to worry about dealing for a SS just yet when we have Janish, though.

The guy from the Dodgers who is #12 on the list looks like a 13 year old version of John Cusack.

Don't see why we need to worry about dealing for a SS just yet when we have Janish, though.
    Janish has a great glove, but his bat is tough on the lineup. If they don't think Cozart is the answer, I would definitely not be opposed to Walt shopping around.

As much as I like Alonso, I don't see anybody trading a shortstop significantly better than what we've got for him. Our trading position, with Alonso blocked, is too weak and shortstops better than Cozart-Janish are not easy to develop.

There are some big name prospects on that list, and even for a 30 AB period or whatever they look at, it's nice to have a Red on top. Frazier and Alonso are both big league ready. Nice to know we have someone if Rolen or Votto go down. Knock on wood.

Janish will not be the Reds SS in September. As much as I want Reyes, I'd put the favorite as Renteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I gotcha. No worries, man.

Neat BA chat. Don't see why we need to worry about dealing for a SS just yet when we have Janish, though.
    I like Janish, but I don't think the Reds see him as their future SS. Likely holding the position until Cozart is ready. If they could acquire a legit above average SS, I am sure they would do it in a second.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I like Janish, but I don't think the Reds see him as their future SS. Likely holding the position until Cozart is ready. If they could acquire a legit above average SS, I am sure they would do it in a second.
    The problems with finding a SS are:
    1) It's hard to find quality shortstops on the market much better than what the Reds have. After Jose Reyes, there's a whole lot of Edgar Renterias and Orlando Cabreras.

2) If we do go for Reyes, we'd probably be forced to choose between him and Brandon Phillips after this season. The truth is, we'd have even more of a hole at 2B without Phillips, and on the whole he's one of the longest-tenured Reds and is essential for team chemistry, so there's no way Reyes is our shortstop of the future.

3) The SS prospects out there aren't much better than what we've already got. When Iglesias, one of the top current SS prospects, was mentioned as a trading possibility, he seemed to project as barely better than what Janish is. Cozart hasn't proven himself ready to take over the job yet, and with all the other prospects waiting in AAA, who knows if or when he'll get the opportunity. Janish is a proven and improving commodity with Gold Glove defense.

I'd love to trade for legit SS of the future, but I just don't think one is out there right now that doesn't hurt our team more than it helps.

I love the Frazier burst we are seeing, but I swear just a few weeks ago all sorts of people were saying he is never going to have the bat, must be a bust and looks terrible at the plate. Guess a hot streak solved everything and he is major league ready now???

Turn Off Ads?