Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hasn't Cincinnati grown as a city?

Re: Why hasn't Cincinnati grown as a city?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's called, UC crime reports delivered to my email for roughly 5 years.

Believe what you want. Anyone else who gets these reports knows what I am talking about.

I'd say 9 out of every 10 perp was of a certain minority that no one is allowed to identify anymore. And that's being generous.

So again, I guess those crime reports must be racist.

There is a BIG problem in Cincinnati, always has been. And sweeping it under the rug with denial like yours does nothing to address it.
    Cincinnati has been classified as a racist city for quite some time now. Just how it is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Cincinnati has been classified as a racist city for quite some time now. Just how it is.
    Sure - by those that are ignorant. In reality, it isn't at all and I've lived and worked in this city for over 10 years. It certainly isn't any more racist than any other city. Cincinnati elected a mayor, vice mayor and multiple city council members that are African-American. Its police chief is AA. Washington Park reopened this summer and I've been there multiple times - it is in one of the worst areas in town yet it is filled with people of all ages and races with no problems. Someone mentioned they need to build wealthy condos in poor neighborhoods - they're doing that as well just a block away.

Cincinnati has its share of problems like all large cities but to label it as racist without any proof, especially on a message board dedicated towards its oldest sports team is ridiculous and foolish in my opinion.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Because right now, the perception about Cincinnati is that it's filled with dangerous black people, and that there really only a few "safe" area's to walk around. Which is, somewhat true I guess.
    It's astounding that facts in no way play a part in that argument.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    If you went to UC you would understand. I get about 50 emails a week from UC saying that people have been raped, held at gun point, stabbed, with an unidentified black male fleeing the scene. And that's just a couple miles off of UC's campus that they give updates to. Cincinnati has some very, very bad spots to be in. It's still not very safe down there.
    If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: don't exaggerate.

I feel the reason the "City" of Cincinnati has not grown is due to the disfunctional City Council. Throw in a Mayor who spends more town out of town than in it and you have a recipe for disaster. When you also consider that City officials only control half of what goes on, while the other half is determined by Hamilton County who the City officials don't like.

Over the Rhine may have turned the corner, the Banks is up and running, there are finally some reasons to be downtown and they bicker about a Streetcar that goes up a hill and comes right back down again.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Does that mean Middletown could become the new Arlington? That is where The Ballpark is, and Cowboy Stadium, and the entertainment district. Maybe Butler County needs to start making hay on this new Cin-Day region.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

It's called, UC crime reports delivered to my email for roughly 5 years.
    Very convincing evidence.

I grew up in Richmond In, right on the Ohio boarder...We had Dayton & Cincy TV & spent alot of our mini vacations going to 'Crosley Field', 'Coney Island' & the 'Zoo'....I love the charm of the city on the waterfront!!
    I wanted to relive some of those memories this summer & went to 'Coney' & the 'Zoo' & had a great night out...I've been in Indy for the last 22 yrs & love it but Cincy has a big piece of my heart & always will!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Very convincing evidence.
    Do your own research.

Or keep your head buried in the sand.

Doesn't matter to me either way.

I lived in Clifton for 15 years, and worked for UC for 5 years. I got the crime report from Greg Hand in my email every week. Plenty of first-hand experiences too.

That's MY evidence. I know exactly what the deal is, in Clifton. And I would NEVER send my kids there. Never. I don't care how good DAAP, Medical, Law, and CCM is. There are colleges out there just as good, that you don't have to risk getting robbed to and from campus.

"I have kids who go to UC and they have never been assaulted."

Mmm-hmm... Wait.

Believe what you want though. Maybe the choo-choo from Downtown up the hill will help?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    If you went to UC you would understand. I get about 50 emails a week from UC saying that people have been raped, held at gun point, stabbed, with an unidentified black male fleeing the scene. And that's just a couple miles off of UC's campus that they give updates to. Cincinnati has some very, very bad spots to be in. It's still not very safe down there.
    Big exaggeration.

More like 4 or 5 a week, at least when I was there.

Which is still crazy.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I live in a predominately black neighborhood (Golf Manor), right next to one of the poorest areas in the city (Roselawn), and I love living here.

My neighbors are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet, and I never lock my doors. But most of the well-off white people who lived in the city limits at one point have moved out to the suburbs because of the "scary black people".

Downtown is coming back in a big way, and I always encourage my friends to get down to places like Findlay Market, the Banks, and Fountain Square. Most of them live in Anderson Township and do their shopping at Super Kroger or Meijer, and spend their leisure time at the local malls and movie theaters.

White culture in the Midwest is moving away from the bigger cities, and spending all their time not "worrying" about the scary black folks in their comfy suburban communities.

Schnickelfritz

I lived in Clifton for 15 years, and worked for UC for 5 years. I got the crime report from Greg Hand in my email every week. Plenty of first-hand experiences too.

That's MY evidence. I know exactly what the deal is, in Clifton. And I would NEVER send my kids there. Never. I don't care how good DAAP, Medical, Law, and CCM is. There are colleges out there just as good, that you don't have to risk getting robbed to and from campus.
    I agree. My gods, every day at UC is like an episode out of The Wire. Kids on every corner ripping and rapping and being rabble rousers and ne'er do wells. O, and the scamps.

Please, don't even mention the scamps.

This thread sure took some new turns since I last checked in 24 or so hours ago.

I still think the OP's original question isn't easily answered with simple responses like race, crime or a dysfunctional city council.

I'd venture to say Washington, DC is more divided along racial lines, has more of a violent legacy and no way can Cincinnati's City Council hold a candle to the level we've achieved here with some city councilmembers (including the former chairman) forced to resign or in prison while others are still under investigation along with our mayor. All the while, one of the city councilmen still comfortably serving is no other than Marion Barry. None of those factors have limited the city's growth and the Nationals and RGIII have been big boosts. Of course, there's the obvious unique element of being the national capitol.

I think the slow growth is likely due to factors not so different from many of the other midwestern cities including geographic location, economy, urban planning, and demographics.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Hubby and I have spent several weekends in Cincinnati over the years, including being in Cinci just a month or so after the big riots in 2001. I've never been afraid to walk around Cincinnati. We always stay on the Covington side, and usually walk to the ballpark from there, or take the shuttle to downtown and then walk to the ballpark. We've walked back to our hotel after night games before. Granted, it's usually with a few other couples that we've met at the game and begun chatting with on the way back to the hotel, but again, I've never felt nervous or frightened.

We love Cinci, and wouldn't hesitate to live in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    I agree. My gods, every day at UC is like an episode out of The Wire. Kids on every corner ripping and rapping and being rabble rousers and ne'er do wells. O, and the scamps.

Please, don't even mention the scamps.
    More like Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Cincinnati is a few decades behind.

Turn Off Ads?