Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BA: Draft Order

BA: Draft Order

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/262950.html

The Reds have the 15th, 36th, 62nd and 67th picks right now. They also explain the new supplemental process.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA: Draft Order

Also if Scott Schoeneweis signs elsewhere the lowest that pick would be 54th.

If they cheap out I will die.

They won't -- but if they use 1 of the extra picks for what they consider to be the best available college senior, it won't be the end of the world. I mean, this is an embarrassment of riches for the Reds -- when was the last time they got a compensatory pick? Schramek?

How is this draft class supposed to be? I havent really looked into it

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    They won't -- but if they use 1 of the extra picks for what they consider to be the best available college senior, it won't be the end of the world. I mean, this is an embarrassment of riches for the Reds -- when was the last time they got a compensatory pick? Schramek?
    Agreed, but they can mop up here. This NEVER happens to Cincy and I am sure RZ will need added bandwith for that day. If they overdraft I will be disappointed.

they can mop up here
    The extra picks will be fun. Not sure I consider it an opportunity for "mopping up," though. Below is the list of the 7 picks Oakland had in 2002, all before the 2nd round. Note that they're all college kids, yet it looks like 4 of the 7 will either fail to reach the majors or will be marginal at best. Still, Swisher, Blanton and Teahen are an excellent haul, in my opinion. The way I see it, by having 5 picks in the top 100 instead of two, the Reds give themselves a decent chance of coming away with a couple of solid major leaguers (as opposed to that being the absolute best-case scenario). Be prepared for some of those top 100 picks to never make it. It's the nature of the draft.

1. Nick Swisher, 1b-of, Ohio State U. (Choice from Red Sox--16th--as compensation for Type A free agent Johnny Damon).
    1. Joseph Blanton, rhp, U. of Kentucky (Choice from Yankees--24th--as compensation for Type A free agent Jason Giambi).
    1. John McCurdy, ss, U. of Maryland.
    1. Ben Fritz, rhp, Fresno State U. (Choice from Cardinals--30th--as compensation for Type A free agent Jason Isringhausen).
    1. Jeremy Brown, c, U. of Alabama (Supplemental pick--35th--for loss of Giambi).
    1. Steve Obenchain, rhp, U. of Evansville (Supplemental pick--37th--for loss of Isringhausen).
    1. Mark Teahen, 3b, St. Mary's (Calif.) College (Supplemental pick--39th--for loss of Damon).

Beane also overdrafted a few of those guys, which lessened his chances for hitting it big. This is why I am upset about how much they have been spending on some of these FAs. Come draft day, we'll see a few of these picks as being reaches b/c of monetary concerns.

He signed J Brown for $350k while the next pick got $1.05 million. Also got Teahen under slot ($725k when pick before went for $875k) and Stanley way under slot ($200k when next pick got $567k).

Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and obviously I don't think Cincy is going to strike gold with in 2007, but I'd rather see them draft the best player available and pay them than someone who will be an easy sign.

but I'd rather see them draft the best player available and pay them than someone who will be an easy sign.
    So would I.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Really no reason for any team to cheap out, with the changes in the draft rules.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Really no reason for any team to cheap out, with the changes in the draft rules.
    If there's a way, the Reds will find it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

yes but they signed weathers, rejoice, I am sure they edged many suitors for Weathers . Perhaps Weathers resembled Penelope and the Reds were Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    yes but they signed weathers, rejoice, I am sure they edged many suitors for Weathers . Perhaps Weathers resembled Penelope and the Reds were Odysseus
    Like Penelope, the Reds keep weaving and unweaving the same ball of yarn in their attempt to delay contention.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

A true bag of wind is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    How is this draft class supposed to be? I havent really looked into it
    Initial reports I've read say its the strongest draft class in years.. lots of depth and good talent.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?