Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Collegefootballtalk.com reports that Brian Kelly of Cincinnati is the favorite to replace Charlie Weis as Notre Dame's next head coach.
    Weis reportedly could have saved his job with an upset of USC Saturday night, but the Irish were trounced 38-3. While Notre Dame's core is young, Weis' inability to get them to improve on a game-by-game basis was very discouraging. Notre Dame's 15 losses since 2007 are the most in any two-year span in school history. This could be bad news for Jimmy Clausen, however, as the sophomore QB made strides under Weis' tutelage at least in the early part of 2008. Nov. 30 - 12:39 a.m. ET
    Source: Collegefootballtalk.com
    http://fantasycollfoot.usatoday.com/....asp?sport=CFB

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to Collegefootballtalk, Brian Kelly already took the Tennessee job...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them firing Weis after this year. It's possible and I could see the justification, but they did make progress over last year. I think he has to win 9 games next year to keep his job.

I think the financial implications will factor in, but I also think they don't want to go through the process of hiring another coach yet again this soon. Especially one who has recruited as well as Weis.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Anyone else unimpressed with Jimmy Clausen? I remember when people were calling him the LeBron James of college football. In his two year career he's got 27 TD passes to 23 interceptions.

I know that ND has all kinds of money flowing out of their ears, but $10MM+ to replace Weis is still a LOT of money. I can't help but think that with that kind of dough, they'd go to a more "established" coach like Urban Meyer or an NFL coach than an "up and comer" like Brian Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I know that ND has all kinds of money flowing out of their ears, but $10MM+ to replace Weis is still a LOT of money. I can't help but think that with that kind of dough, they'd go to a more "established" coach like Urban Meyer or an NFL coach than an "up and comer" like Brian Kelly.
    The 'hopefulness' emanating from this post is very apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyone else unimpressed with Jimmy Clausen? I remember when people were calling him the LeBron James of college football. In his two year career he's got 27 TD passes to 23 interceptions.
    Yeah he was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I remember an article in SI hailing him as the second coming.

That might be true that they might go after a guy like that, but I just don't know who they could get. I don't see any real established guy leaving a good job to come to ND. I don't see Meyer ever going to ND. Per a couple of ND folks I know (with some minor knowledge of what goes down) said that Meyer wanted to take the ND job, but asked for all kinds of demands recruiting related. None were granted, so he took the Florida job. And now he'd be insane to leave there.

The one thing that might work in ND's favor this time is that the cupboards are not bare like they were before. Supposedly, some of the coaches on the list last time saw what was coming last year as far lack of talent goes and were scared away. I don't know how true that is, but Willingham's recruiting classes were historically bad after his first one, so coaches had to know it would be an uphill battle. Things are different now. The next coach couldn't complain about lack of talent.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't see them firing Weis after this year. It's possible and I could see the justification, but they did make progress over last year. I think he has to win 9 games next year to keep his job.

I think the financial implications will factor in, but I also think they don't want to go through the process of hiring another coach yet again this soon. Especially one who has recruited as well as Weis.
    How many years has he been at ND now?

Seems like all of these top 10 recruiting classes he has assembled would make losing to Syracuse at home an impossibility. Is his player development THAT bad?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How many years has he been at ND now?

Seems like all of these top 10 recruiting classes he has assembled would make losing to Syracuse at home an impossibility. Is his player development THAT bad?
    His first real recruiting class are sophomores right now. And most of the entire starting lineup is freshman and sophomores. It's hard to win against good D1 competition without upper classmen. I think everyone, including Weis, knows that next year is the watershed year for him. He has to deliver then or he's gone. He didn't forget how to coach all of a sudden. I don't there's ever been a coach who could have won many games with what he had last year.

His first real recruiting class are sophomores right now. And most of the entire starting lineup is freshman and sophomores. It's hard to win against good D1 competition without upper classmen. I think everyone, including Weis, knows that next year is the watershed year for him. He has to deliver then or he's gone. He didn't forget how to coach all of a sudden. I don't there's ever been a coach who could have won many games with what he had last year.
    Gotcha. Yeah, I didn't know they were THAT young. He should get one more year, IMO. I agree, next year is make or break for the big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The 'hopefulness' emanating from this post is very apparent.
    Sure, I want Kelly to stay. But if I'm going to cough up millions to get a guy, Kelly isn't the tops on my list.

That said, if ND offers the job to Kelly, he's gone. There's no denial there.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Sure, I want Kelly to stay. But if I'm going to cough up millions to get a guy, Kelly isn't the tops on my list.

That said, if ND offers the job to Kelly, he's gone. There's no denial there.
    I'm with you. (Although I can't think of many names outside of Urban Meyer that I would want more than BK.)

Just giving you a bit of a hard time.

I hope BK sticks around at UC and dominates the Big East for the next decade.

From what someone said on the radio earlier this week, Weis has not been developing the talent. He has gone almost exclusively with his first team and his younger players couldn't get the opportunity to develop under game conditions. The same guy said that Weis is doing better now about that. My take is that he's a great recruiter - although it isn't difficult to get guys to come to ND - he's a great offensive coordinator but he's a poor head coach. There's no shame in that. Many coaches were better suited as offensive or defensive coordinators and were just not head coach material. I didn't get to watch a lot of the USC game last night but USC was just having their way with ND. A USC guy would catch a pass and it would take 3-4 ND guys to bring him down after he broke a few tackles. The problem is that ND wants their program to be on the same level as USC. Going by from what I saw last night, they have a long way to go no matter who the coach is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Hopefully they keep him so they continue to suck.

Turn Off Ads?