Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

Currently doing an interview with Mo on 1530AM. Some of these are paraphrased, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd share.

Walt Jocketty on Shin-Soo Choo

"Joey Votto sent me a text after the trade last night and he was very excited."

"We've tried a couple of different deals for CF types that fell through. We talked to Cleveland about Choo last year at deadline, but this one came together kind of fast over the past couple of days. We put this together Sat, Sun, and Mon. Finalized late last night, about 9PM. It was a deal we felt was very important to us. Hurt to give up Didi. SS is "locked up" with Cozart for 5-6 years."

"With the way the money has gone, we don't know what to expect going into the future. If we sign him, great, if not, we know we have BH to take over."

"We'll let the year play out (2013) before visiting trying to sign Choo to extension."

"One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."

"This is probably the best lineup we've had here...at least in my time."

"We think Choo will be at least average in CF. He came up in SEA as a CF then moved him to RF because they had, I think, Adam Jones there as well. We think he should be able to cover CF here at GABP, which isn't really a very big CF."

"Dusty and I have discussed moving Bruce to CF. I thnk we're going to go into ST with an open mind but we'd prefer to keep Jay in RF."

"If Hannahan gets done, he'll be a LHH that'll play several INF positions."

"Hannahan/Donald will not proclude us from bringing back Scott."

"If Rolen does come back, he's thought about how he'll adapt to a lesser role than what he's used to."

"We want to go into ST with flexibility in the rotation. Chapman could start, or could start in the bullpen and then start later in the year. I think our pitching staff and roster is pretty well set. I like competition but we'll still look for ways to add depth to the organization in AAA and AA."

"Well, I'm going, I have a home in Phoenix, so we're going to go there for Christmas."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Currently doing an interview with Mo on 1530AM. Some of these are paraphrased, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd share.

Walt Jocketty on Shin-Soo Choo

"Joey Votto sent me a text after the trade last night and he was very excited."

"We've tried a couple of different deals for CF types that fell through. We talked to Cleveland about Choo last year at deadline, but this one came together kind of fast over the past couple of days. We put this together Sat, Sun, and Mon. Finalized late last night, about 9PM. It was a deal we felt was very important to us. Hurt to give up Didi. SS is "locked up" with Cozart for 5-6 years."

"With the way the money has gone, we don't know what to expect going into the future. If we sign him, great, if not, we know we have BH to take over."

"We'll let the year play out (2013) before visiting trying to sign Choo to extension."

"One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."

"This is probably the best lineup we've had here...at least in my time."

"We think Choo will be at least average in CF. He came up in SEA as a CF then moved him to RF because they had, I think, Adam Jones there as well. We think he should be able to cover CF here at GABP, which isn't really a very big CF."

"Dusty and I have discussed moving Bruce to CF. I thnk we're going to go into ST with an open mind but we'd prefer to keep Jay in RF."

"If Hannahan gets done, he'll be a LHH that'll play several INF positions."

"Hannahan/Donald will not proclude us from bringing back Scott."

"If Rolen does come back, he's thought about how he'll adapt to a lesser role than what he's used to."

"We want to go into ST with flexibility in the rotation. Chapman could start, or could start in the bullpen and then start later in the year. I think our pitching staff and roster is pretty well set. I like competition but we'll still look for ways to add depth to the organization in AAA and AA."

"Well, I'm going, I have a home in Phoenix, so we're going to go there for Christmas."
    I like the attitude and expertise Walt brings to the table. He's just the best thing to happen to this franchise in years and years.

Interesting, he used the word "if" when speaking about Rolen. I think rolen on this team would be beneficial. Let's hope he changes his mind.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.

Walt can now go do that fishing he was accused of doing for a few offseasons without any complaint?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Man, what a great GM we have. It's really amazing. Ownership too. Never thought I'd say that about a professional sports team in Cincinnati.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

Why would there be outrage? He clearly said it would be starting in the bullpen with the intent of saving Chapman's innings so he could be stretched out through the end of the season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I've seen many who think it is best to start Chapman later in the year, including myself. I think the question is whether to rest him until a month or two before, or use him in the pen until then and stretch him out. I like the Medlen Method
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Thanks for posting the notes. It was an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I've seen many who think it is best to start Chapman later in the year, including myself. I think the question is whether to rest him until a month or two before, or use him in the pen until then and stretch him out. I like the Medlen Method
    My hope is that they pitch him roughly every fifth day where he can throw on the side and keep a routine going before they move him into the rotation in (presumably) May.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Thanks for posting the notes. It was an interesting read.

I was trying my best to keep up. Mo was firing the questions quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Man, what a great GM we have. It's really amazing. Ownership too. Never thought I'd say that about a professional sports team in Cincinnati.
    This. Firing Krivsky and installing Jocketty as GM was absolutely the right move by Bob.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Because he was still talking about him starting. Just slowly working up his endurance in the pen until he's stretched out enough to start.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Because he was still talking about him starting. Just slowly working up his endurance in the pen until he's stretched out enough to start.
    If so, it impacts the roster. It means Leake makes the team as a starter. It means the bullpen is well stocked with Chapman. And it means Reds may have to find a reliever later in the season when Aroldis starts games.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If so, it impacts the roster. It means Leake makes the team as a starter. It means the bullpen is well stocked with Chapman. And it means Reds may have to find a reliever later in the season when Aroldis starts games.
    I don't think there was ever any question that what they do with Aroldis would have instant ramifications on the roster. Early, mid and late season. This is exactly why I felt that Leake would be kept starting and going up and down all year from Louisville. Once Chapman is starting fairly regularly, Leake goes down and a reliever comes up to replace him. When Chapman's NOT starting, Leake is, and the reliever goes down to Louisville because Aroldis will be in the bullpen. Just my take.

Most of us are completely cool with getting him there in a reasonable way; just not dismissing the goal entirely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?