Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Latest update on SportsCenter is looking a lot worse for Newton (if the new allegations are true, of course). They are saying Newton wanted to go to Miss. State but his dad forced him to go to Auburn because "the money was too good".
    ESPN now has that story up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Last edited by jojo; 11-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The "kid" has smoke around every inch of his body at this point. It's pretty obvious something seriously shady is going on here. And considering it's Auburn and the SEC I'm inclined to believe it's 100% dirty.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The "kid" has smoke around every inch of his body at this point. It's pretty obvious something seriously shady is going on here. And considering it's Auburn and the SEC I'm inclined to believe it's 100% dirty.
    Maurice Clarett is wondering if smoke=fire given his alleged academic "benefits"....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Maurice Clarett is wondering if smoke=fire given his alleged academic "benefits"....
    I was wondering when you would come up with that. Didn't Clarett get taken off the field by Geiger? Didn't Ohio State do everything right in handling the eligibility of Clarett? I don't remember Andy Geiger or Coach standing up and ridiculing everyone. I remember them taking Maurice off the field.

You are reaching and desperate now. But that makes sense at this point.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I was wondering when you would come up with that. Didn't Clarett get taken off the field by Geiger? Didn't Ohio State do everything right in handling the eligibility of Clarett? I don't remember Andy Geiger or Coach standing up and ridiculing everyone. I remember them taking Maurice off the field.

You are reaching and desperate now. But that makes sense at this point.
    Does posturing after being caught pass as ethics? Don't look now, Santonio Holmes just caught one over the middle (pile-o-cash while playing college ball)....

Institutional control indeed.... :

Personally, I prefer to consider all of the facts before passing judgment and I'm sure OSU fans would reject the absolute smoke=fire standard above being applied to their program just as I'm bristling at the obvious hyperbole in many of your comments concerning Auburn.

One wonders if much of the hyperbole has something to do with Florida and LSU though....
    Last edited by jojo; 11-10-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Most of their athletes honestly couldn't get into school at University of Phoenix.
    Here's how the NCAA views the program:

Code:
    	                APR		
    	        OSU	AU     Div 1
    2003-04	        893	986     926
    2004-05 	955	976	929
    2005-06 	934	949	931
    2006-07 	984	910	934
    2007-08 	995	964	939
    2008-09 	991	915	934
    2009-10	        975	935   	944
    Grad rate	63%	63%	67%

Does posturing after being caught pass as ethics? Don't look now, Santonio Holmes just caught one over the middle (pile-o-cash while playing college ball)....

Institutional control indeed.... :
    Huh? Missed where Santonio Holmes took money. I did see where he turned down money from an agent.

One wonders if much of the hyperbole has something to do with Florida and LSU though....
    Could be. It seems like SEC teams would rather take their brethern down than see them win. That might be part of why the rivalries are so good down there.

However, as good as the SEC has been on the field in comparison to the Big T(welv)en, they have been even more superior in terms of cheating. About the only things you hear are Rich Rod scheduling practices when there should be none and Illinois every few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

1000 rep points to anyone who calls into the Hot Stove League tonight and asks if the rumor is true that Miss. State couldn't pay the $ for Newton because they're still paying off Brantley's training table bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Latest update on SportsCenter is looking a lot worse for Newton (if the new allegations are true, of course). They are saying Newton wanted to go to Miss. State but his dad forced him to go to Auburn because "the money was too good".
    What if it's all hearsay? Newton can deny it and then what have we accomplished?

They'll need more than sources from disgruntled schools who lost out on the Newton sweepstakes to prove anything. I want to see a papertrail of money changing hands before I believe anything happened. I also haven't seen many SEC schools guilty of major violations in the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I want to see a papertrail of money changing hands before I believe anything happened.
    If it did happen (still a big if in my mind), there won't be a paper trail. His father's church would be an easy way to hide the money as any payment could be explained away as a donation. If the payment was in cash, it could be explained by an increase by parishioner tithes/offerings.

All of that said, I find it hard to believe that a school would flat out give a kid that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    1000 rep points to anyone who calls into the Hot Stove League tonight and asks if the rumor is true that Miss. State couldn't pay the $ for Newton because they're still paying off Brantley's training table bill.
    LOL
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    If it did happen (still a big if in my mind), there won't be a paper trail. His father's church would be an easy way to hide the money as any payment could be explained away as a donation. If the payment was in cash, it could be explained by an increase by parishioner tithes/offerings.

All of that said, I find it hard to believe that a school would flat out give a kid that kind of money.
    If that church showed a 6 figure increase in donations then that's good enough for me. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for

Turn Off Ads?