Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like I said about the Pirates

Like I said about the Pirates

When I joined this board and the Pirates were in 3rd place and I said they were the team to beat in the NL Central, the names calling wouldn't stop. I was questioned about my baseball knowledge. Well, guess what, they have the pitching to stay there like I said, and are the Reds main competition for the division as the Cards are coming back to earth now. Apologies would be fine.

Yes, I'll be here to read them as hopefully the Reds can catch fire and keep up with them for the division.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Like I said about the Pirates

I wish the Reds played with a urgency the Pirates/Cardnals/D-Backs/Rockies/Giants/Red Sox do..It gets frustrating seeing a team that has flaws and no move is made to fix them.. Our bullpen is weak, Our SS/LF and Catching tandum are not producing consistently and their is no leadership. If there was leadership, this team would be playing better EVERY Game and working on making themsleves better. Watching this roadtrip you would have thought this team was in 5th place!!.. NO FIRE.. Time for Walt to do something about it.. Starting with Jacoby!!

4. Likes:

remdog (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    When I joined this board and the Pirates were in 3rd place and I said they were the team to beat in the NL Central, the names calling wouldn't stop. I was questioned about my baseball knowledge. Well, guess what, they have the pitching to stay there like I said, and are the Reds main competition for the division as the Cards are coming back to earth now. Apologies would be fine.

Yes, I'll be here to read them as hopefully the Reds can catch fire and keep up with them for the division.
    First of all, I don't think your baseball knowledge was questioned due to you predicting that Pittsburgh is the team to beat in the N.L. It was making outlandish comments that exposed personal bias.

Second, most of those who disagreed with your opinion mentioned that the Pirates have to prove that they can play meaningful ball after the ASB. It's still June.

Finally, if the Cardinals are coming back to earth, what are the Reds doing ?
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Maybe the biggest question for the Pirates in the 2nd half is how will their bullpen hold up? Those guys have thrown a bunch of innings YTD.

What's the point of posting this now, halfway through the season?

As long as the Reds stay within 5 games of whoever's leading this month. there's a chance they will win the division. The records in the Central are so good at this point both WC's would come from there...if Cinci is still in these doldrums come August and over 5 games out...then it's time to grow concerned (although the record could still possibly warrant a WC spot)
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Lets wait and see when August gets here. Their bullpen has been overworked and I still don't think they are the best team in the central. Reds and Cards are more talented.

Fangraphs thinks the Pirates are well-positioned. They may lose a little traction in the second half of the season but are primed to make the playoffs. Time will tell.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-d...r-it-can-last/

We'll have to see how the Pirates handle a losing streak. They will eventually have one and when that happens we'll see how their psyche is considering how they tanked last year. Lot's of baseball left to be played.

As a big Pirates' fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. Things will certainly regress, and I suspect we'll see that in the Bucs bullpen. But, I'm hopeful that that is offset by a couple of things. First, we hopefully will be getting some pitching help back soon. A.J. Burnett should be getting healthy soon. Wandy Rodriguez had a setback, but the Pirates are optimistic that he will pitch again this year.

Second, I think we'll see some improvement from the offense. Andrew McCutchen is having a good year, but it is not a great year. He is fully capable of hitting about .385 with ten homers in a month and carrying the team. He has yet to do that this year. He carried the team last year, and when he hit a wall in August and September, the team fell off as well. I think we'll see a better second half from Cutch than we've seen before, and a better second half than first half this year. I also think Neil Walker could improve some. Right field, and as the article said, the pitchers hitting, can't get much worse, whether that is from improvement from Travis Snider and Garret Jones or a trade for someone like Alex Rios.

Finally, I've seen enough growth from Pedro Alvarez and Starling Marte this year to think that they will help down the stretch as well.

I don't think the Pirates will win 100 games. I really don't think they'll win the division. But, I'm confident they will finish over .500 and stay in contention through September this year.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Your desire to receive a pat on the back is as baffling as those who would call you names on the original subject.

But I'm with you: I think this Bucs team is legit.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Lots of baseball left. If I'm not mistaken, the Buccos and the Birds face off something like 12 or 14 more times. That will help clarify the division.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the top three teams in the Central all make the playoffs. Well, this new playoff format.

For a Level Playing Field

Oh, GREAT ONE... please share the next winning PowerBall numbers prior to the next drawing. And make sure you send it via a private message so I do not have to share with all the LESSER ONES here.

And thank you for gracing me with your presence on RedsZone, GREAT ONE!

Wow, this is awesome. I wonder if there is any way that the site administrators can post a big gold star by your name.

What names did they call you?

What questions about your knowledge were tossed your way?

Is the pitching here to stay? It is the half way point, if I was driving across the country and was in Missouri would you say I was already in California?

If someone doesn't offer up apologies would you take random insults if they were offered up for you to read?

Turn Off Ads?