Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I would still love to see a regular season schedule of 10 or 11 games (for conferences with no Divisional divide/conference championship game). Take the winner of each of the 7 major conferences (AAC, ACC, B10, B12, MAC, P12, SEC) and give them an automatic berth. Then have a committee select 9 at large teams and rank all 16 teams 1-16 and pair them off. Play first round games at the home of the higher ranked team. Play the remaining 7 games at various neutral big bowl sites. Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Orange can rotate for the semi-finals and championship game each year like they kinda do now. Let 3 other major sites each year host the quarter finals along with the leftover BCS location(Cotton, Chik-fil-A, Gator, Outback, Alamo, etc), hell they can have bidding wars for them, so that "bowl integrity" still remains along with the spoils.

Such a system would not extend the season far (1 extra games max for a team that runs the table compared to now). Also, there would be more importance to late season games as they fight for a spot, while simultaneously one loss would not be a death notice. They do similar things for high school football, and all other NCAA divisions, and all other NCAA sports, why can't FBS get with the program?

FWIW here's how I'd have this years tournament laid out:

16 at 1: UCF (AAC Champ) at Alabama (SEC Champ)
    15 at 2: Fresno State (at large) at Florida State (ACC Champ)
    14 at 3: NIU (MAC Champ) at Ohio State (B10 Champ)
    13 at 4: Wisconsin (at Large) at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champion)
    12 at 5: Clemson (at Large) at Auburn (at Large)
    11 at 6: Michigan State (at Large) at Arizona State (P12 Champ)
    10 at 7: Stanford (at Large) at Missouri (at Large)
    9 at 8: Baylor (at Large) at South Carolina (at Large)

obviously there's 2 important weeks to go that could/will shake things up.
    What do the other 108 teams do after 10 games? Why would all of these teams gives up 3 or 4 home games that they currently have now. Lots of lost revenue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How on earth does the MAC make the cut as a "major conference" while C-USA and the MWC do not?!? The MAC and the Sun Belt are basically equals.

4. Likes:

RedsBaron (11-26-2013),Revering4Blue (11-26-2013),wolfboy (11-26-2013)

Everybody wants to get in on a little MACtion...

6. Likes:

wolfboy (11-26-2013)

Polls get skewed by a team's ranking at that time.

Like Auburn lost to LSU who was #6 then but is #17 now. They beat Ole Miss (#24 then, unranked now), beat Texas A+M (#7 then, #21 now), and Georgia (#25 then, unranked now).

So those wins looked great at the time, but lost their luster as the season went on. The issue is, the boost is higher than the luster lost. It's not just who you play, it's when you play them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Like Auburn lost to LSU who was #6 then but is #17 now. They beat Ole Miss (#24 then, unranked now), beat Texas A+M (#7 then, #21 now), and Georgia (#25 then, unranked now).

So those wins looked great at the time, but lost their luster as the season went on. The issue is, the boost is higher than the luster lost. It's not just who you play, it's when you play them.
    Ohio State benefitted from that, too. Would you believe that Northwestern was ranked #16 when Ohio State beat them? Let me know when you're finished laughing that one off.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What do the other 108 teams do after 10 games? Why would all of these teams gives up 3 or 4 home games that they currently have now. Lots of lost revenue.
    We'd only be looking at a game or 2 less than now with the 12 game schedule, and all other teams bowl eligible would still play in the bowl games not making up the 7 used in the playoffs.

I chose the MAC because they were the biggest of the also-ran conferences. We could add the Sun Belt and Mountain West and take away 2 at large bids, or heck, expand to 32 teams and play the first 2 rounds at the higher seed, creating more home games for the top tier teams. I'm not picky about how it's done, I'd just rather see things decided on the field than in the papers and on the talk shows.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    We'd only be looking at a game or 2 less than now with the 12 game schedule, and all other teams bowl eligible would still play in the bowl games not making up the 7 used in the playoffs.

I chose the MAC because they were the biggest of the also-ran conferences. We could add the Sun Belt and Mountain West and take away 2 at large bids, or heck, expand to 32 teams and play the first 2 rounds at the higher seed, creating more home games for the top tier teams. I'm not picky about how it's done, I'd just rather see things decided on the field than in the papers and on the talk shows.
    Ohio State plays 7 to 8 home games every season. Under a 10 game season they are playing 5 and the rest of the games are at neutral sites so you probably have an increase in travel expenses. That is a tremendous amount of revenue that the school would lose by having just a game or two less.

The MAC is the biggest in number of teams? Because it's a significantly worse conference than C-USA and the MWC. It may catch C-USA with all the good C-USA teams leaving to join the AAC, and the Sun Belt teams jumping over the C-USA, but the MWC is closer to the Big Ten in quality of football than the MAC is to the MWC.

12. Likes:

jimbo (11-26-2013)

"So Fla Red"

6 or 8 team playoff seems like the best solution. Six with two byes to the top seeds or a straight 8 team playoff.

Keeping the current 12 game + conf championship schedule in place to pay all the sports program bills for every other sport than M CBB.

16 feels way too diluted. The regular season should mean more in CFB than any other sport.

There will also be controversy regardless with new bags of wind-age joining the current bags of poo-age that currently nauseate the ESPN airwaves. Insert Mark May and David Pollack image here...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Make the argument FSU deserves #2 based on the eyeball test, but anyone using FSU's 2013 schedule or ACC vs. B1G conference superiority for putting FSU ahead of OSU is making a foolish and uninformed argument.
    I don't know of hardly anyone who's actually making that argument, though. As I told traderumor upthread, I can understand why you might think so -- after being told a million times the problem with OSU is the schedule, then you could rationally assume that people don't have as much of a problem with the schedules of the teams ranked ahead of them. But no, it's the eyeball test, coupled with the best-win theory.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I always supported an 8 team playoff--5 or 6 auto-bids from conference champions, and 2 or 3 at large teams. Then play the first round the week after the conference championships at the home field of the 4 best seeded teams. The 4 losers can then get normal bowl bids. (Maybe you set aside bowls for them so that other bowls can still be played in early December, which is necessary for some reason.) The semi-final games can then be played as separate games or as part of the current BCS bowls on a rotating basis. Then you play a championship game a week later.

You preserve the traditional bowl games. 4 teams play 1 extra game, 2 play 2 extra games, and 2 play 3 extra games so the burden on the players is minimal. I don't see why this is so complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

It's kinda inevitable that a team will drop in the polls after you beat them. If Alabama beats Auburn, they should get credit for beating a top 10 team even if the Tigers are not a top ten team a week from now

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I always supported an 8 team playoff--5 or 6 auto-bids from conference champions, and 2 or 3 at large teams. Then play the first round the week after the conference championships at the home field of the 4 best seeded teams. The 4 losers can then get normal bowl bids. (Maybe you set aside bowls for them so that other bowls can still be played in early December, which is necessary for some reason.) The semi-final games can then be played as separate games or as part of the current BCS bowls on a rotating basis. Then you play a championship game a week later.

You preserve the traditional bowl games. 4 teams play 1 extra game, 2 play 2 extra games, and 2 play 3 extra games so the burden on the players is minimal. I don't see why this is so complicated.
    I agree with you that such a plan should be a worthy goal. Change comes slowly though. Remember all the years when we heard excuses like "the kids can't do a playoff because they need to study for exams" or "no playoff because playing those extra games will mean a few more kids will get injured"...The late Dick Schaap used that last one. Very weak indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's kinda inevitable that a team will drop in the polls after you beat them. If Alabama beats Auburn, they should get credit for beating a top 10 team even if the Tigers are not a top ten team a week from now
    Then the question is begged, at the end of the year, which teams are the top ten in terms of this discussion? As far as I am concerned there can only be 10.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Then the question is begged, at the end of the year, which teams are the top ten in terms of this discussion? As far as I am concerned there can only be 10.
    Then for you it'd be who's ever in the top ten at the time of your discussion

Turn Off Ads?