Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cincinnati: America's Best Ice Cream

Re: Cincinnati: America's Best Ice Cream

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    For a city the size of Cincy, it has a lot of really good restaurants and some interesting and unique food options. It's one of the things the city if known for.
    Such as?

I'm listening.... but all I'm hearing is people missing chains like Skyline and LaRosas (food I consider equal to Burger King and McDonalds)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jean-Robert at Pigall's was named one of the 11 best restaurants in the country by Zagats, so I'd say that's a pretty good place to start. I've also dined at The Palace and enjoyed it immensely; it is routinely reviewed as an excellent place to dine. The Celestial in Mt. Adams is also very good and has won awards such as AAA's 4 diamonds and was name one of the most romantic restaurants in the country by multiple publications.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Such as?

I'm listening.... but all I'm hearing is people missing chains like Skyline and LaRosas (food I consider equal to Burger King and McDonalds)
    So if there were only one Skyline, would it taste better?

Good food is good food, no matter the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Jean-Robert at Pigall's was named one of the 11 best restaurants in the country by Zagats, so I'd say that's a pretty good place to start. I've also dined at The Palace and enjoyed it immensely; it is routinely reviewed as an excellent place to dine. The Celestial in Mt. Adams is also very good and has won awards such as AAA's 4 diamonds and was name one of the most romantic restaurants in the country by multiple publications.
    Thanks, I'll check into them.. I have heard that Celestial is good.

But I think French food is over rated tremendously, and after looking at the Palace menu I didn't see one thing without meat, so I''ll have to pass on that.
    Last edited by westofyou; 07-12-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    So if there were only one Skyline, would it taste better?

Good food is good food, no matter the establishment.
    Sorry, fast food is fast food in my world and Skyline has always been fast food.

Not that it's not "good" per se but I also missed the Red Barn once upon a time.

And for the record I liked Gold star better when I ate meat.

Such as?

I know what you mean about Skyline and LaRosas (both are franchises) but their ingredients are much fresher than Burger King and McDonalds (again, not saying much, but they are not nearly on the same level as those chains, but I think you were just making a point)...

Such as?

LaRosas is quite possibly the grossest pizza I've ever tasted. Simply aweful.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Ever had a Hot-N-Ready pizza from Little Caesar's?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    You've obviously never had Pizza Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Little Ceasar's was the first pizza I ever had many years ago..... as an adult it might have been the worst pizza I ever had.

As for LaRosa's and Skyline, both are chains and both probably get most of their ingredients from Sysco, which automatically makes it iffy IMO.

As for LaRosa's and Skyline, both are chains and both probably get most of their ingredients from Sysco, which automatically makes it iffy IMO.
    The cheese at Skyline tastes pretty fresh IMO and according to a franchise owner I spoke with once it is "Wisconsin cheddar", whatever that means...

As a non-native, non-partisan, I have to say Gold Star is a bazillion times better than Skyline. But if you really want to enjoy Cincinnati chili hit up some of the small local parlors like Blue Ash Chili or Camp Washington.

It's not fine dining by any means, but the northern suburbs (particularly Hamilton and the Tri-County area) have a growing number of VERY good Mexican joints due to the booming Latino population. I've been to the southwest many times and some of these places rival anything there. If you are not a vegan many of them have great vegetarian dishes. Disclaimer: their quality can swing drastically overnight if one cook quits!

Porkchop Sandwiches

FYI, the Skyline cheese is shredded daily, and it is a specific LandOLakes Wisconsin mild cheddar. There is a guy who works there whose entire responsibility is picking the correct cheese for Skyline.

Best meals I have had recently in the city were at Boca in Oakley, Nectar in Mt. Lookout (formerly Aoili downtown), and Honey in Northside. Brown Dog Cafe in Blue Ash was surprisingly good. I cant wait to try Nada and the Oceanaire that recently opened downtown.

I have not been to Pigalls, but will gather the nerve soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    You've obviously never had Pizza Hut.
    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger*
    Unfortunately, I've been to a Little Caesar's ONCE before...never again. As for Pizza Hut, the last time I was there I was in little league and the coach brought us there. It gave me the runs and I've never been back. That must have been 25 years ago?!

Chains like Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, Dominoes, Papa Johns, etc are pretty much expected to be gross, aren't they, so that's why I excluded them from my initial comments. I mean, how many more places within the dough does Pizza Hut need to add cheese? Every commercial it seems there's a new "creation"

I meant no disrespect to the Cincy locals, but with all the hype I hear on LaRosa's, it was very disappointing to say the least.

For what it's worth, even though I'm from Chicago, I detest Chicago "deep dish style" pizza. It's really bad. That's not to say that we don't have some excellent pizza parlors here, just that deep dish pizza is not my thing.

Give me a slice of mama's Margherita pizza anytime, and I'm all set. No need to add all that extra garbage.

Porkchop Sandwiches

I still swear by Adriaticos in Clifton, although Deweys is also yummy. My favorite pizza of all time is from Pizza Za in San Francisco, Russian Hill. Amazing cornmeal crust and topping combos that make your mouth water.

Turn Off Ads?