Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Zimpher on her way out

Re: Nancy Zimpher on her way out

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Huggins wasn't fired unitl A YEAR after the DUI, that wasn't her excuse for booting him.

It sure didn't help him. She just didn't have the political capital to do it then.

I would think at 4-5 in the Big East with a 14-8 record overall, there are a lot of programs that would want to be that demolished. Incidentally, West Virginia is 4-4 in the Big East and 15-6 overall. Is Huggins' program there demolished too since they are only a 1/2 game better than poor, demolished UC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm over the Huggins departure, he probably needed it, and a new direction to the program probably wasn't a bad thing, looking back on it.

It's how she did it....instead of being decisive, she danced around, wouldn't make decisions, made it impossible to recruit, and let the program get almost 2 years beind in the Big East.

She, and only she let the program crubmble, when she could have made the transistion a lot smoother, and less devastating. Now Mick has to rebuild it in this league...not easy.

Some people are still hung up on Huggs...I'm glad to see her go because of how she handled it...

I believe the basketball program is what got UC into the Big East....

I don't go to UC, and don't follow the academics that closely to know how things improved under Nancy in that respect. I hear it has...that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 02-03-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It sure didn't help him. She just didn't have the political capital to do it then.

I would think at 4-5 in the Big East with a 14-8 record overall, there are a lot of programs that would want to be that demolished. Incidentally, West Virginia is 4-4 in the Big East and 15-6 overall. Is Huggins' program there demolished too since they are only a 1/2 game better than poor, demolished UC?
    huggins has been at WV for all of 1 and a half seasons right? Not to mention just coming off a sweet 16 appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    huggins has been at WV for all of 1 and a half seasons right? Not to mention just coming off a sweet 16 appearance.

So you agree that since they have a similar record, they are a demolished program too?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Join school
    fire its history
    get pay raise
    leave school to make more money while really doing nothing to deserve it
    I am guessing this refers to firing Huggins.
    As a UC alum I am happy with what she did. It's a better school now than it was when I went there.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

So you agree that since they have a similar record, they are a demolished program too?
    huggins already has his program out producing the one that ditched him 3 years ago.

huggins already has his program out producing the one that ditched him 3 years ago.

By a half game.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

By a half game.
    Maybe one day UC will finally catch up.

Maybe one day UC will finally catch up.
    He had a bit of a head start, considering Mick could barely field a team in his first year. I recall last year handing WVU a 30 point loss at WVU, but you probably didn't hear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    He had a bit of a head start, considering Mick could barely field a team in his first year. I recall last year handing WVU a 30 point loss at WVU, but you probably didn't hear about that.
    Who's fault is it that the program was so badly demolished and didnt have the head start...

The point im making is that she is a huge reason why UC fell so hard. She did nothing to help the program in her time here.

Who's fault is it that the program was so badly demolished and didnt have the head start...

The point im making is that she is a huge reason why UC fell so hard. She did nothing to help the program in her time here.
    I don't like NZ either, but she did hire Mick Cronin - who I think will prove himself over the next 2 years as a solid replacement for Huggs.

I'm interested to see if attendance will increase with Zimpher gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I don't like NZ either, but she did hire Mick Cronin - who I think will prove himself over the next 2 years as a solid replacement for Huggs.

I'm interested to see if attendance will increase with Zimpher gone.
    Cronin needs some time but that time is getting shorter by the game. If this team isnt close to being a NCAA tourney team by next season his time better be close to being up.

Cronin needs some time but that time is getting shorter by the game. If this team isnt close to being a NCAA tourney team by next season his time better be close to being up.
    There are a lot of things that upset me watching this year's team, but it could certainly be argued that they're close to an NCAA tournament team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    There are a lot of things that upset me watching this year's team, but it could certainly be argued that they're close to an NCAA tournament team this year.
    If they go nuts and string off some wins in the Big east tourney maybe but there is no way they are close to being a NCAA tourney team right now.

unless they win the big east tourney they have no shot.

WLW ran off some statistics about nonathletic things that have changed at UC since she was hired. The class rankings of incoming students, number of national merit scholars, annual giving, the capital improvement campaign, campus construction, and faculty awards. The difference was substantial.
    Two months ago, I was in a debate over whether or not UC would be able to retain Brian Kelly, which they obviously have, for now. She had a sit down with Kelly, and Mike Thomas, and they hatched out a plan that Kelly seemed to agree with that is keeping him in town, so far. She has vision, and it should not be downplayed.

It is obvious that some UC fans, underestimate how much good she did for the university. The Bob Huggins thing was not handled well, but a university should not be defined by how they hire and fire a basketball coach.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?