Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stark tid-bit on Dunner...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Stark tid-bit on Dunner...

Yankees explore deal for Reds' Dunn
    Friday, July 25, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
    Even with the trading deadline less than a week away, the Reds have had very little action on Adam Dunn. But one club that spoke with the Reds says the Yankees have explored what it would take to plug Dunn into their revolving outfield/DH vacancies. The Reds, however, are continuing to ask teams for one top-of-the-line prospect and one second-tier prospect. And that's probably more than the Yankees are inclined to give up for Dunn.

As usual, I'm sure it'll amount to nothing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stark tid-bit on Dunner...

Are these teams thinking clearly? They get two comp picks if they pick up Dunn, which is why we want top prospects. If you are a contender now you probably would rather have the picks anyways...

God forbid someone ask the Yankees to trade Austin Jackson Melian and a flyer on a guy like Ivan Nova (I totally love his name).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Are these teams thinking clearly? They get two comp picks if they pick up Dunn, which is why we want top prospects. If you are a contender now you probably would rather have the picks anyways...
    Difference is though, 1 top of the line prospect is likely at least in AA and will be ready much quicker than anyone you draft next year in all likelihood. Its not quite the same thing, but I see the point.

God forbid someone ask the Yankees to trade Austin Jackson Melian and a flyer on a guy like Ivan Nova (I totally love his name).
    Or Jesus Christ Montero.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Difference is though, 1 top of the line prospect is likely at least in AA and will be ready much quicker than anyone you draft next year in all likelihood. Its not quite the same thing, but I see the point.
    They are contenders, they don't need the prospects now. They are the teams with the luxury to wait on the picks to plug in on the next up cycle...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They are contenders, they don't need the prospects now. They are the teams with the luxury to wait on the picks to plug in on the next up cycle...
    But they might need a prospect next year and maybe said top of the line prospect is that guy.

But they might need a prospect next year and maybe said top of the line prospect is that guy.
    Sure. That is their decision. That doesn't mean the Reds should settle for anything less than two top notch prospects.

Dunn for Melky Cabrera and a pitching prospect.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Sure. That is their decision. That doesn't mean the Reds should settle for anything less than two top notch prospects.
    I think the Reds are asking for the right types.

I think the Reds are asking for the right types.
    I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Dunn for Melky Cabrera and a B-level bullpen prospect.
    I'm not that crazy about Melky. Though, honestly, I haven't looked at numbers or anything. (I'm an uninformed idiot, just spouting baseless opinion) He's just always seemed like typical over-hyped Yankee. (Like I said, it's quite possible I'm being foolish.)

Heres how I see it (I think this will be more clear): The draft picks are the same talent as the prospects, but less advanced/developed. The cost of getting half a season of Dunn and the 15 runs he will add to your team is the loss in developement of the youngsters...

I like Melky, but he would have to replace that second tier prospect and not the first tier one...

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Am I the only one that caught the Jackson Melian reference?

I still get a little sick inside when I harken back to '00.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?