Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Billy Hamilton

I was wondering if maybe we could organize most of the Billy Hamilton updates into one topic (unless there already is one and I'm just blind). I know a lot of people are very excited about this prospect (myself included) and if there was a topic like this that is easily accessible to find any new updates or information on him it would be pretty handy.

Hopefully Doug can post in here from time to time with scouting updates (and anyone else that watches him regularly) to see if he's improving habits, hitting or especially how he's doing in centrefield.

Billy Hamilton as of today:

24 PA - 2 R - 2 RBI - 6 SB - 8.3% BB% - 8.3% K% - .364 AVG - .417 OBP - .545 SLG
    Nice numbers so far. I like the K% but I don't know if the improvement there is just small sample based or if he's actually getting better at making contact and improving pitch recognition. The BB% seems like it would be more accurate (again, small sample size) as he moves up in level simply because there's no way with his hit tool that he's going to get walked at a 13 - 16% clip.

Does anyone know how his transition to CF has been so far?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    The BB% seems like it would be more accurate (again, small sample size) as he moves up in level simply because there's no way with his hit tool that he's going to get walked at a 13 - 16% clip.
    Historically, throwing strikes to hitters willing to exercise patience at the plate has proven difficult. Throwing strikes is very difficult to do. In short, while his BB rate may dip a percentage point or two, you may be pleasantly surprised at his BB rate going forward.

His K rate, OTOH, is definitely still a work in progress. Prospects without power and a poor K rate may struggle. Hamilton's K rate has improved a great deal in a couple of years. It may continue to improve; it is, however, likely always going to be high, especially for a punch and judy hitter.

I'd expect, in the majors, a BB rate of around 10% and a K rate around 20%, give or take two or three percent each way.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't know that Hamilton's K rate has really improved all that much throughout the minors. It has certainly been up and down a little bit, but it was 17.7% in Billings, 21.8% in Dayton, 17.8% in Bakersfield and 20.2% in Pensacola.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know that Hamilton's K rate has really improved all that much throughout the minors. It has certainly been up and down a little bit, but it was 17.7% in Billings, 21.8% in Dayton, 17.8% in Bakersfield and 20.2% in Pensacola.
    You are right, of course. I meant to type K: BB rate.

My bad.

It's just one data point but recent since I was able to be in Louisville and caught the game this past Monday night. Clearly that game was a bit of an outlier but he impressed all around.

From the plate, 4 for 5 with good contact made in all at bats.

On the basepaths, 2 for 2 on steals.

In CF, retired everything routine that should be retired and made one fairly amazing diving catch that most undoubtedly wouldn't have made.

I'll just be a reader more than poster on this thread since I won't be able to watch him regularly but wanted to share this since it was firsthand.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    It's just one data point but recent since I was able to be in Louisville and caught the game this past Monday night. Clearly that game was a bit of an outlier but he impressed all around.

From the plate, 4 for 5 with good contact made in all at bats.

On the basepaths, 2 for 2 on steals.

In CF, retired everything routine that should be retired and made one fairly amazing diving catch that most undoubtedly wouldn't have made.

I'll just be a reader more than poster on this thread since I won't be able to watch him regularly but wanted to share this since it was firsthand.
    I watched that game. He had a crappy bunt directly to the pitcher and two bloop hits just over the infield. He did hit the ball hard once though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I watched that game. He had a crappy bunt directly to the pitcher and two bloop hits just over the infield. He did hit the ball hard once though.
    That bunt was the one you showed the still of where he was out but got the benefit right? Still pretty impressive that he could make it that close despite bunting directly back to the pitcher. Do you think he could get good enough at bunting to make it a dangerous weapon?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    That bunt was the one you showed the still of where he was out but got the benefit right? Still pretty impressive that he could make it that close despite bunting directly back to the pitcher. Do you think he could get good enough at bunting to make it a dangerous weapon?
    Yes, that is the same one. He is an ok bunter right now, which is good enough given his speed. If he ever actually turns into a good bunter, game over.

Going into today: .218/.271/.291

Let's not pencil Billy into the Reds 2014 lineup just yet.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 04-20-2013 at 10:34 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hamilton is making re-signing Choo possibly a must.

.230/.299/.295

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Because of 61 ABs?

Yeah, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

Homer Bailey (04-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Because of 61 ABs?

Yeah, no.
    Hence my use of the word "possibly".

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I possibly think this is the dumbest post I have ever read.

(Of course I don't, but saying "possibly" doesn't automatically get you off the hook)

17. Likes:

Homer Bailey (04-24-2013),OnBaseMachine (05-04-2013),PuffyPig (04-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

I think keeping choo should be a must regardless of how hamilton is doing

Turn Off Ads?