Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN Sweetspot Power Rankings

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

ESPN Sweetspot Power Rankings

David Schoenfield provides his top ten at this point of the offseason. Nationals and Reds are #1 & #2. If this was done a week ago, before the Choo trade, I doubt the Reds would be that high.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...onals-reds-1-2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN Sweetspot Power Rankings

IDK about his remark that Luddy and Frazier have to repeat their great seasons. They had to step up last year with JV out, but if JV stays healthy, I don't think Luddy has to hit 25+ and Frazier has to hit 20+ in order for us to win the Central.

How he ranks the Yankees at #3 boggles my mind.

-Matt

part of BBN

I certainly dont see NY ahead of AL teams like LA and Detroit.

I don't think I would leave off the Blue Jays at this point. They have so many new pieces but that team just looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs Homer View Post
    I don't think I would leave off the Blue Jays at this point. They have so many new pieces but that team just looks great.
    Marlins looked great on paper last year too, but didn't pan out as the season went on. I am not buying into the Blue Jays yet until I see them on the field for a few weeks. While they definitely look to have improved, it will take time for them to develop into a team.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Marlins looked great on paper last year too, but didn't pan out as the season went on. I am not buying into the Blue Jays yet until I see them on the field for a few weeks. While they definitely look to have improved, it will take time for them to develop into a team.
    Especially when you consider that many of the new Blue Jays are, in fact, ex-Marlins.

I am surprised the Angels aren't in the top ten with Hamilton now on their team.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    I am surprised the Angels aren't in the top ten with Hamilton now on their team.
    I am also surprised they arent on there too..Im assuming they arent a top 10 team on here because of not being able to make the playoffs with the roster they had last year...and most importantly pitching...other than Jared Weaver...they have no one.

Oakland seemed the most like a fluke to me of any of last year's success stories. I'd have LAA on my list ahead of them. I'd also put SF on ahead of StL.
    The way I see it, StL lost Lohse and got a year older on an already old team.
    Texas lost Hamilton and didn't add much.
    Toronto is too much better to not be on this list as well.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

From the ESPN article "Weaknesses: outfield defense with Choo in center; some players -- Ryan Ludwick, Todd Frazier, Johnny Cueto -- will have to repeat their big seasons."

THe "weaknesses" are not really weaknesses are they? Cueto, if healthy will have another great year. And if Ludwick & Frazier get more consistent playing time this year, I can see both of them putting up similiar #'s.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Frazier I'm less concerned with "duplicating seasons" since l think he'll flourish playing everyday. If he doesn't, l still think the overall numbers at 3B will be equal or better - his bad days can't be worse than Rolen's 2011 numbers.

I'm more concerned with overall numbers in LF; Luddy put up great stats only playing PT, those will be hard to replicate, and we didn't upgrade the OF depth.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

How are the Angels not on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    How are the Angels not on this list?
    Aren't any better than last year. Pitching got worse, and with how good Hunter was last year Hamilton isn't necessarily a gigantic upgrade. Only positive is a full year of Trout, who will likely regress some (although this should be covered by Pujols regressing back to a full year of MVP type numbers). Should they be top 10? Probably. But it isn't really that much of a stretch to leave them off the list.

If anyone cares, I would have to put my top 10 for next year at....
    1. Reds
    2. Washington
    3. Blue Jays
    4. Rays
    5. Tigers
    6. San Francisco
    7. Oakland
    8. Angels
    9. Braves
    10. Cards

I think the Reds have a better lineup top to bottom, starting rotation top to bottom, and bullpen than the Nats. While the Jays could become Miami 2.0, I don't see that happening. No Ozzie, and they also have Joey Bats, Edwin, Melky, Dickey. Rays are the best run team in baseball, if they have Longo all year (big if) they can be a force. Tigers have Victor back, to add to the lineup. Still have Verlander, and a quality staff behind him. Only question mark is the pen. San Fran has a good rotation (I expect a bit of a bounce back for Big Time Timmy Jim), and a good overall team led by Posey. Oakland could very well fall off the deep end, this one is just a gut thing. Angels have potent lineup, but pitching is very shaky. Braves and Cards because I ran out of teams I liked.

I think Texas is due for a big drop. Lost Hamilton, didn't replace him with that much (although losing Young off the roster is a pretty big plus). And the pitching staff isn't spectacular. Darvish could take another step forward, and Harrison is a pretty good pitcher, but neither of them are sure things imho.

Turn Off Ads?