Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

It's still possible it could be in place by next season.
    http://deadspin.com/mlb-set-to-consi...ery-1137610450

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

I'm all for it as long as they have rules in place that give each team a limited number of instant replay appeals per game. Otherwise this could get ridiculous, where every 2 minutes a manager asks for an instant replay review.

4. Likes:

Chip R (08-14-2013),TeamCasey (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm all for it as long as they have rules in place that give each team a limited number of instant replay appeals per game. Otherwise this could get ridiculous, where every 2 minutes a manager asks for an instant replay review.
    I don't want any appeals from the manager. I would like it set up like college football, or the last two minutes of an NFL game. An ump in a booth somewhere, looking over every play. If he sees something worth reviewing, he contacts the umps on the field. That would be the speediest, least intrusive and fairest way to handle it, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-14-2013),BluegrassRedleg (08-15-2013),Cursh14 (03-10-2014),mth123 (08-14-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-15-2013),RedsBaron (08-14-2013),remdog (08-15-2013),Roy Tucker (08-15-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (12-02-2013),The DARK (08-14-2013),Tom Servo (08-14-2013),vaticanplum (08-14-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

I'm all for it, within the bounds of common sense (Either limited number of challenges or the having ump monitors jump in whenever there's a doubt).

If done correctly, this is not going to extend the game at all.
    How much time is wasted today because the manager or 1b coach feels obligated to argue with the ump (Even though there's no chance of an overturn).

Plus, it opens the door for automated ball/strike calls in the future
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't want any appeals from the manager. I would like it set up like college football, or the last two minutes of an NFL game. An ump in a booth somewhere, looking over every play. If he sees something worth reviewing, he contacts the umps on the field. That would be the speediest, least intrusive and fairest way to handle it, imo.
    I'm fine with that.

Yeah I think this can be a good thing as long as it's not overused. If we start stopping the game to review everything, it will be a mockery.

I think fair/foul, homer/no homer and those things should be reviewed automatically on each play. I think there should be some limitations for reviewing out/safe calls.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

10. Likes:

George Anderson (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Yeah I think this can be a good thing as long as it's not overused. If we start stopping the game to review everything, it will be a mockery.

I think fair/foul, homer/no homer and those things should be reviewed automatically on each play. I think there should be some limitations for reviewing out/safe calls.
    I'd hate to see it be like the NBA where every close play in the last 2 minutes, the game stops for 5 minutes while they look at the replay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd hate to see it be like the NBA where every close play in the last 2 minutes, the game stops for 5 minutes while they look at the replay.
    Yeah no need to do that. Just hire 15 more umpires and create the central umpire station, have one assigned to each game to follow along the whole time and buzz in when needed.

The system to model on is the NHL. Hopefully the plan they ultimately adopt is like hockey's. It sounds like they are trying to build a "best of all worlds" system, which is great if they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah no need to do that. Just hire 15 more umpires and create the central umpire station, have one assigned to each game to follow along the whole time and buzz in when needed.
    Of course, who needs an umpire? Hire someone with good enough vision and have them tell the head umpire if someone's safe or out or a ball is foul or fair.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Works for me.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Can they figure out how to do this without all the umpires scuttling off to the bowels of the stadium for fifteen minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Can they figure out how to do this without all the umpires scuttling off to the bowels of the stadium for fifteen minutes?
    Like I said, the NHL system of centralized video umps is the way to go. Takes seconds to make a decision.

19. Likes:

Crumbley (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Like I said, the NHL system of centralized video umps is the way to go. Takes seconds to make a decision.
    My favorite thing in hockey, hands down, is when they have to "call Toronto". In fact I think MLB should do the same thing. With Toronto specifically.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

21. Likes:

Crumbley (08-14-2013),westofyou (08-14-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My favorite thing in hockey, hands down, is when they have to "call Toronto". In fact I think MLB should do the same thing. With Toronto specifically.
    That's the "War Room" in Toronto

Turn Off Ads?