Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

For Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon (sp) and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Great player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    For Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon (sp) and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Great player.
    I am a casual NBA fan, but have been watching a lot this season because of a knee injury to myself, and really believe this trade may have put the Lakers at the top of the western conference.

Once Bynum gets healthy they will have a starting 5 of:

PG: Derek Fischer
    SG: Kobe Bryant
    SF: Lamar Odom
    PF: Pau Gasol
    C: Andrew Bynum

That is the best starting 5 in the NBA. They will also still have Walton, Farmar, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Ariza (when healthy), and Turiaf coming off the bench. That is an 11 player deep roster, that is hard to beat.

I dislike Kobe, but he is damn good and this could be his chance to prove that he was just as important to the Lakers championship run as Shaq was.

On a lighter note, this is a good trade for Memphis as well. I am starting to follow Mike Conley a lot and this will make the Grizzlies better for sure. Gasol did not fit into their new coaches Phoenix type offense. Conley, Lowry, Crittendon, and Navarro is a nice group of PG/SG to build a team around. Add them to Rudy Gay and Mike Miller and you have a good nucleus. Now they need to find a big man who fits into the offense.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

The Lakers should be VERY tough once Bynum gets back.

As for the Grizzlies, they get a big expiring contract in Kwame Brown, which is always helpful in the NBA. Crittenton I'm not sure why they targeted since they already have Conley, Lowry and Navarro in their current rotation, so I'd expect another smaller deal from them. And the 2 first round picks are always nice for a building team.

Wow. That makes them title contenders. Great move by LA. I'm not sure that two bottom 10 1st rounders and an expiring contract are that valuable to Memphis.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Wow. That makes them title contenders. Great move by LA. I'm not sure that two bottom 10 1st rounders and an expiring contract are that valuable to Memphis.
    I agree, I definitely leave it with a feeling that they were robbed. Especially when considering how close they were to a deal for Luol Deng + others with the Bulls then drop off to this return.

When did Mitch Kupchak put on some big boy GM pants? Nice deal for the Lakers.

Definitely not the same guy who traded Caron Butler and Antonio Daniels for Kwame Brown, which as a Bullets/Wizards fan, I appreciated.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

On a related note: how dumb do the Bulls look for not consummating the trade for Kobe Bryant when they had the chance. Whoever gets the better player in a trade in the NBA wins the trade. Can't believe they balked on giving up freakin' Luol Deng for the best player in the NBA. Stoopid.

Kwame Brown has to rank up there for the NBA player that gets the least out of his ability.

The guy could have been really good, but something didn't happen along the way. Don't know if Jordan stunted his growth or if he's just a turkey player.

Nice deal for the Lakers and makes them a true contender. This year in the NBA has been interesting so far. New Orleans has surprised.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Kwame Brown has to rank up there for the NBA player that gets the least out of his ability.

The guy could have been really good, but something didn't happen along the way. Don't know if Jordan stunted his growth or if he's just a turkey player.

Nice deal for the Lakers and makes them a true contender. This year in the NBA has been interesting so far. New Orleans has surprised.
    He was a timid little high schooler who came into the league with arguably its greatest player ever, whom he idolized to some degree, telling him he was soft, and weak. Some guys would respond by toughening up and proving him wrong. Kwame was, by all reports, sensitive and instead he became more introverted and it indeed did stunt his maturity as a player.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    On a related note: how dumb do the Bulls look for not consummating the trade for Kobe Bryant when they had the chance. Whoever gets the better player in a trade in the NBA wins the trade. Can't believe they balked on giving up freakin' Luol Deng for the best player in the NBA. Stoopid.
    I don't think the Bulls refused it. I think Kobe (who is the only NBA player with a no-trade clause) said he would not agree to any trade to Chicago in which they gave up Deng, because he did not want to go to a team that had to trade all its talent to get him.

Time to get my Laker clothes out of the attic.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The pre-trade Lakers got humbled by the Spurs earlier this season, so it will be interesting to see how this version fares in the Western Conference playoffs. The Spurs don't go deep into the playoffs in even-numbered years, so the Lakers should take their shot now at a title run.
    /r/reds

What a dumb trade for Memphis.

It does show the value of expiring contracts in the nba. Also, I read that the Grizzlies are going to waive Kwame, and he will return to the Lakers.

Memphis should have made LA take on Brian Cardinals contract too (at least).

Memphis PGs
    - Mike Conley
    - Juan Carlos Navarro
    - Javaris Crittenton
    - Kyle Lowry

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Grizzlies have traded Pau Gasol today to the Los Angeles Lakers for center Kwame Brown, rookie guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie, the rights to Gasol's brother Marc, and first-round draft picks in 2008 and 2010.

Memphis should have made LA take on Brian Cardinals contract too (at least).
    Absolutely. I thought that was a sticking point to any deal involving Pau Gasol.

It will be interesting to see what else transpires between now and the 2/21 trading deadline. Where will Jason Kidd wind up? Will the Nuggets be foolish enough to send Klieza and Najera to the Kings for Artest. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I am a casual NBA fan, but have been watching a lot this season because of a knee injury to myself, and really believe this trade may have put the Lakers at the top of the western conference.

Once Bynum gets healthy they will have a starting 5 of:

PG: Derek Fischer
    SG: Kobe Bryant
    SF: Lamar Odom
    PF: Pau Gasol
    C: Andrew Bynum

That is the best starting 5 in the NBA. They will also still have Walton, Farmar, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Ariza (when healthy), and Turiaf coming off the bench. That is an 11 player deep roster, that is hard to beat.

I dislike Kobe, but he is damn good and this could be his chance to prove that he was just as important to the Lakers championship run as Shaq was.

On a lighter note, this is a good trade for Memphis as well. I am starting to follow Mike Conley a lot and this will make the Grizzlies better for sure. Gasol did not fit into their new coaches Phoenix type offense. Conley, Lowry, Crittendon, and Navarro is a nice group of PG/SG to build a team around. Add them to Rudy Gay and Mike Miller and you have a good nucleus. Now they need to find a big man who fits into the offense.
    Definitely not the best starting 5 in the nba, but they are definitely one of the deepest teams.

The Suns have a better starting 5, Boston, Detroit, New Orleans, Dallas and possibly even Utah.

Turn Off Ads?