Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How About That Wind Storm?

Re: How About That Wind Storm?

There were protests here at MU to cancel class on Tuesday as students off-campus had no power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOAQyhhYrgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8FeCr2ZQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRd-ApJ9Mbs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post

The lucky thing for us is that my grandparents live about 10 minutes away in Miamisburg and they have had power the entire time. So basically from Monday morning on I have stayed at their house enjoying electricity.

The one life lesson I have learned from all of this is a new found respect for older folks. How the heck did people entertain themselves before electricity and all the fun electronics were around? I was dying without my Xbox 360, laptop, and music.

my wife's step father lives in the burg but doesn't have power.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    There were protests here at MU to cancel class on Tuesday as students off-campus had no power
    College students tend to lose sight of the fact that they (or someone on their behalf) is actually paying for those classes they are protesting to have cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    College students tend to lose sight of the fact that they (or someone on their behalf) is actually paying for those classes they are protesting to have cancelled.
    I agree completely. They also lose sight of the fact that if they don't want to go to class, they don't have to. Maybe I'm just biased because I was on campus using the backup generator's power...

Power's finally back on here (in Bethel, which is the way eastern part of Clermont county). We were dark for about 72 hours. Decided to try to make the best of it. Turned this into a camping trip with a really good tent. I've been cooking on a fire, though we have a gas grill, since Sunday. The kids haven't noticed a thing. Now that the lights are back on and the water pump is running again, I'll be back at work tomorrow. Only vacation I'll get all year.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I am sitting in a Panera Bread here in Columbus because my power is still not on at the house. I just looked at AEPs estimated time for my neighborhood to be back up and it's the 20th!!!

Unreal.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have a relative near Downtown Columbus whose power is still off. The rest of my relatives scattered around greater Columbus all lost power for periods ranging from 6-48 hours. One of those other relatives lost phone service for over 2 days.

It amazes me how much more effect the midwest got from Hurricane Ike than I did, living 250 miles from where it made landfall. We got maybe an hour of 30 mph winds and .07 inches of rain.
    /r/reds

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Our power came back on yesterday afternoon and we now have some new food in our fridge and freezer. It's amazing how many simple things we take for granted sometimes. I've never been so happy to be able to use the restroom without taking a flashlight in there with me, LOL

I hope those of you who are still in the dark get your power back soon!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Down here in Cincinnati (Colerain TWP) and I am still without power. Its killing me. I work from home and have hardly been able to get anything done. Fortunately I have a generator and have been able to keep the food in the fridge and freezer cold, but its getting ridiculous.

Stat geek...and proud

My power was out for 80 hours.

I did relativly well. We had a tree limb hit the house, but it didn't do noticable damage. The power went off a couple times, but was on in just a few minutes. I have relatives still without power, though we took them a small generator to keep their freezer cold.

A friend I work with, who lives done outside of New Carlisle, Ohio, has been without power since Sunday. None. Nil. He said they've been cooking on the grill, and bucketing water up from the crick to flush the toilets! They hope to get power back by this weekend. Wow!

I think I would have moved the family into a hotel for a few days. Especially if I had no running water at all.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

9pm and I am still without power. I did get to enjoy an ice cold shower today though for the 4th day in a row. That was fantastic.

When we built our home 2 years ago, after the house fire, one of the improvements I wanted to have done was a whole-house generator (Generac). My wife, at the time, thought it was a needless waste and was against it. I then reminded her of that ice storm about 3 years ago that devastated this region and forced us, as well as many families, to leave the area for 5-6 days until things were restored. Also the many times, from living out in the country, that we lose power, for various reasons, and sometimes for hours on end. There is also the plus it adds to one's property value.

Two years later, and after numerous incidents, my wife has changed her tune. It's been a life-saver.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I saw a bit of ElectricRage yesterday. I was on my way to a farm show at London, Ohio, and was getting ready to turn on to STR 235 north of Quincy. Some lady (and I use the term loosely) had pulled up to the stop sign, and gotten out to air her grievances, across 235 at the entrance to the Pines, a bucket truck was there with a man up in the air, and his spotter on the ground. This woman was shaking her finger at them and looked out of sorts. I had to pull around her parked SUV to turn south on to 235. I shook my head at her, and yelled "Grow Up!" These electric crews have a dangerous job to do and they have no room for error. Leave them alone, they want to be done with the job as much as you want the power to come back on.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?