Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I do not believe this is a good deal. Strop can't find the strike zone this year (even worse than in years past) and had good ERAs in 2011 & 2012 due to artificially low HR/9 rates. Now, I do not expect Strop to have a career average as high as his 2013 HR/9 (1.61, ouch), but I would expect him to end up around 1, which will bring his FIP around 4. Furthermore, Strop will begin to be arbitration eligible in 2014 and I don't think he will be such a bargain after next year. I just don't see a pitcher with a career BB/9 of 5.40 as valuable.

Jake Arrieta is also a guy who has struggled with walks big time in his career (4.00/9), and while he looked like he took a stop forward in that department this year, his small sample in the bigs this year showed regression.

I do not think Feldman is a super valuable asset, but I would have expected the Cubs to look for some younger, higher upside pieces. Acquiring two late 20s pitchers with control problems does not seem like such a great haul.
    Feldman has some value, but unless they were able to find a Bill Bavasi (who thankfully doesn't have any sort of final say with the Reds) or Bill Smith who give up major league ready talent for middling major league talent, the best the Cubs could have gotten was maybe one decent prospect. I think if you are a team in the position like the Cubs are now, you stock up on the Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop's of the baseball world and hope something pans out.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Feldman has some value, but unless they were able to find a Bill Bavasi (who thankfully doesn't have any sort of final say with the Reds) or Bill Smith who give up major league ready talent for middling major league talent, the best the Cubs could have gotten was maybe one decent prospect. I think if you are a team in the position like the Cubs are now, you stock up on the Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop's of the baseball world and hope something pans out.
    Neither Arrieta nor Strop can be considered prospects anymore. They are both failed veterans at this stage of their careers. I would imagine Ondrusek and Arredondo have more trade value at this point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Why do you want Pedro Strops or Jake Arrieta's though? They are essentially replacement level players. Wouldn't you prefer to have a guy or two who could pan out to be better than that? I am not saying there is literally no chance Strop or Arrieta improve, but there is a better chance that a B level prospect would have done more for the Cubs going forward than either of these guys.

Feldman had a FIP under 4 each of the past three years including an ERA under 4 in two of those years. This year's 3.46 ERA, 3.93 FIP and 3.89 xFIP had to look attractive to several contenders. If no one was willing to give a B level prospect now, the Cubs could have waited another month to see if a contender gets desperate and pulls a Bavasi.

5. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-03-2013)

Arrieta and Strop are nice enough projects for a rebuilding team that might be flipped for something later, but the prize for the Cubs is the bonus slots, they're about to spend a lot of money on teenagers.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

7. Likes:

757690 (07-02-2013),mth123 (07-02-2013),Tom Servo (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Arrieta and Strop are nice enough projects for a rebuilding team that might be flipped for something later, but the prize for the Cubs is the bonus slots, they're about to spend a lot of money on teenagers.
    They just added more slot money by trading former Red farmhand Ronald Torreyes for the Astros' #3 and 4 slot money. There must be some late round gems they really want to sign.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Looks like the trading season is upon us with the Feldman trade to BAL for Arrieta and Strop. Is Walt & Co. going to address our shortcomings, or just say we tried but couldn't get anything done? I hope he doesn't wait until July 30 to try to do something. I think most of the decent players which could have an impact on a team will go early. I think Walt should wake up from his 3 month nap now.
    Last edited by 50YrRedsFan; 07-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Dodgers Designate Carlos Marmol For Assignment

By Steve Adams [July 3 at 11:54am CST]

11:54am: Gammons tweets that Marmol has already been placed on outright waivers. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the outright move is procedural. Marmol has agreed to go to the minor leagues and try to work out his struggles there.

10:35am: The Dodgers have designated Carlos Marmol for assignment, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons reports that the Dodgers were only interested in the international bonus slot they acquired in the deal, not in retaining Marmol as a member of their bullpen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...hortstops.html

I know SS is not our most glaring need right now with our needs at BP and LF, but Walt has bolstered positions at the deadline before while our glaring need is not met. For example, see last year when we stuck with Stubbs and aquired Broxton to a well performing BP.

Anyways, I can see Walt trade for a SS to help this team. I really like the idea of trying to aquire Profar. Yes it is very far fetched and a very big reach for us to aquire him. Also, I realize that despite his small sample size, his stats and Cozart's are the very similar, but he also has 200 less ABs than Cozart and he is only 20 years old.

The article suggests they are looking for someone like Stanton which I know we do not have to trade. But the Rangers are likely looking for pitching especially starters. I do not know much about what we could offer or what they would want other than Stephenson and Hamilton are untouchable. So I was wondering if anyone could provide a possible trade scenario in which we could get him with what we have and what they need.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Shields and Willingham, make it so.

Isn't Willingham on the DL? Are you sure you aren't thinking of last season?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Isn't Willingham on the DL? Are you sure you aren't thinking of last season?
    I actually had no idea that Willingham was on the dl. Last time I looked, he had an Ops around 750. Gladly take that in left now

And also Shields doesn't seem to be available considering the Royals are still competing in the AL Central and they have a team option for him next year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

And also Shields doesn't seem to be available considering the Royals are still competing in the AL Central and they have a team option for him next year.
    the royals think they are competing but come trade deadline will be sellers. they won't trade shields. they traded will myers to get him. they would move santana for the right piece. i'm surprised how he has pitched this year even giving up his fair share of homeruns.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...hortstops.html

I know SS is not our most glaring need right now with our needs at BP and LF, but Walt has bolstered positions at the deadline before while our glaring need is not met. For example, see last year when we stuck with Stubbs and aquired Broxton to a well performing BP.

Anyways, I can see Walt trade for a SS to help this team. I really like the idea of trying to aquire Profar. Yes it is very far fetched and a very big reach for us to aquire him. Also, I realize that despite his small sample size, his stats and Cozart's are the very similar, but he also has 200 less ABs than Cozart and he is only 20 years old.

The article suggests they are looking for someone like Stanton which I know we do not have to trade. But the Rangers are likely looking for pitching especially starters. I do not know much about what we could offer or what they would want other than Stephenson and Hamilton are untouchable. So I was wondering if anyone could provide a possible trade scenario in which we could get him with what we have and what they need.
    nobody in the system should be untouchable. the window to win is small IMO and we should move anyone in the right trade.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    nobody in the system should be untouchable. the window to win is small IMO and we should move anyone in the right trade.
    I know John Fay said that Stephenson and Hamilton are untouchable.

However, I think including Stephenson in a trade that would get us Profar would be considered the right trade. But, I cannot see the Rangers trading Profar without also getting a ML pitcher in return. I was thinking maybe Leake or Reynolds in AAA might get the wheels moving on this trade along with some of our other decent prospects.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Turn Off Ads?