Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Re: Who will get Choo?

https://twitter.com/ctrent

Walt on Choo - ‘i think we have to move on’

2. Turn Off Ads?

Asking $22M/per according to Ft Worth newspaper. I don't blame Walt at all.

I wonder what Cruz would cost?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Asking $22M/per according to Ft Worth newspaper. I don't blame Walt at all.

I wonder what Cruz would cost?
    Cruz was asking for 4-75 early on. Not sure if that's changed or not.

MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio 2m

Scott Boras calls Shin-Soo Choo a rare talent, says he doesn't necessarily need to sign with a 2014 contender AUDIO: http://bit.ly/J71unJ
    Retweeted by Lance McAlister
    Translation -- Choo is all about the $, folks. The Reds never stood a chance.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think the actual translation is Choo's market is not breaking the way Boras had hoped. It's also starting to look like instead of Ellsbury setting the market for Choo, what it achieved was removing a major suitor for Choo. Essentially Boras had a major conflict of interest and he prioritized Ellsbury.

Now Boras is reduced to throwing out absurd numbers and pretending Choo could sign anywhere in the hopes it shakes one organization free of its senses.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think the actual translation is Choo's market is not breaking the way Boras had hoped. It's also starting to look like instead of Ellsbury setting the market for Choo, what it achieved was removing a major suitor for Choo. Essentially Boras had a major conflict of interest and he prioritized Ellsbury.

Now Boras is reduced to throwing out absurd numbers and pretending Choo could sign anywhere in the hopes it shakes one organization free of its senses.
    True. But both meanings could be involved. That is, Choo has told Boras that he's not happy with where things stand and that he no longer really cares if he signs with a good team as long as the money is there.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Eh. I think it's more Boras isn't getting the offers he wanted, so he's trying to make it clear to everyone Choo will sign anywhere to drive the price up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Just about every player is all about the $. That's not shocking in the slightest. The system baseball has created (keeping down payroll artificially while a player is in the minors and in his first years of ML service time) encourages a player to grab for the cash and big contract at his first opportunity.

It's silly to expect a player not to maximize his own personal value when he has an opportunity to do so. This "He's all about the $" stuff is just ignorant, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

10. Likes:

New Fever (12-11-2013)

At what point is enough $$ enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Just about every player is all about the $. That's not shocking in the slightest. The system baseball has created (keeping down payroll artificially while a player is in the minors and in his first years of ML service time) encourages a player to grab for the cash and big contract at his first opportunity.

It's silly to expect a player not to maximize his own personal value when he has an opportunity to do so. This "He's all about the $" stuff is just ignorant, IMO.
    Well, thanks for suggesting I am ignorant. Appreciate it.

But anyway, all I'm saying is that despite thoughts to the contrary, Choo is not going to take less to sign with the Reds or whomever, no matter the chance of winning. I agree that money is a huge driving factor, but I do think there are actually players out there who take into consideration other things. Obviously, it is a balance -- and in this case, it has been tipped in the favor of $.

13. Likes:

757690 (12-11-2013)

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 2m

Scott Boras on Choo decision: "We're certainly moving closer." Said he has received offers and is discussing options with his wife.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/12/11/27927/

“I think we have to move on,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Wednesday.

Or do they?

He did add the all-too common qualifier after that, adding: “We have to plan as if we’re moving on.”

https://twitter.com/Sullivan_Ranger

Rangers have offer to Choo that's getting serious consideration http://wp.me/p1rXwL-8WST

Well, thanks for suggesting I am ignorant. Appreciate it.

But anyway, all I'm saying is that despite thoughts to the contrary, Choo is not going to take less to sign with the Reds or whomever, no matter the chance of winning. I agree that money is a huge driving factor, but I do think there are actually players out there who take into consideration other things. Obviously, it is a balance -- and in this case, it has been tipped in the favor of $.
    I agree wholeheartedly. MLB history is full of players taking "hometown discounts."

I actually think that with contracts getting so large, there will be more players using other factors to decide where to sign. What's more important, the difference between $120M and $135M, or playing for a contender, or with guys you like, or near your family?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

18. Likes:

RedEye (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. MLB history is full of players taking "hometown discounts."

I actually think that with contracts getting so large, there will be more players using other factors to decide where to sign. What's more important, the difference between $120M and $135M, or playing for a contender, or with guys you like, or near your family?
    Outside considerations will always come into play but in most cases money trumps everything else. With the turnover in both the clubhouse and in the front office I think it's probably unreasonable to expect players to leave money on the table because they like their current teammates because by the time the deal is up in all likelihood they'll be dealing with a completely different cast of characters.

Really the best way to get a "home town discount" is to lock up players early in their career, long before they get to arbitration and start to sniff a big FA payday.

Turn Off Ads?