Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do the Reds rank in attendance this year?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Where do the Reds rank in attendance this year?

Reds Fever has caught on big time this season. Another 35K+ in the house last night. Same deal for today and tomorrow I'm sure.

I know we have to be behind certain shoo-ins around MLB like the Yankees and Cardinals, but we have to be top-10 overall. Are we challenging for top-5 status? What an amazing turn-around attendance wise. Let's keep it up! We've always had high TV ratings, but exponentially-more people are actually going to games this year.

(I'm doing my part. Been to 5 games already this year and will be going to many more. Haven't gone to this many Reds' games in years. Coming from Columbus, that's going to a lot of games, IMO. #humblebrag)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where do the Reds rank in attendance this year?

The Reds rank 17th in MLB in average attendence at 29,941 per game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    The Reds rank 17th in MLB in average attendence at 29,941 per game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
    17th? WOW. Baseball fans across MLB are showing up. I thought we had to be in the top-10 for sure (especially at ~30K per game).

Wow. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    17th? WOW. Baseball fans across MLB are showing up. I thought we had to be in the top-10 for sure
    Not even in the top half.

Pathetic showing from the Cincinnati fans for a team that has been one of the best in baseball for the last four years.

6. Likes:

westofyou (06-16-2013)

Walt is doing his job and the cast is doing his job holding up his end of the deal.....if we don't start selling out more games I could see payroll getting cut in a few years......and when I say cut I guess I am referring to comparing us to other teams....with tv money coming in, our payroll will probably be higher than ever but so will every other team in MLB. If we want to compete for top free agents and keep our own star players then we need to start holding up our end of the deal and sell this stadium out. Bob and Walt have done what they said they would do and now it's our turn.

My wife and I went in with another couple and bought a partial package.....that along with buying a few tickets at last minute we will make 20 games this year.....1 hour and 15 minute drive and I get to see the reds......I hope we start showing up.

"So Fla Red"

Another 3,400 a game would have the Reds 10th (Boston 33,332).

5th in MLB in YoY increase (+2,447 game). Nats (+4092), Jays, Orioles, Dodgers. OVerall attendance is down 1200 a game (4%)

Reds have a chance to threaten the 2.6M mark this season. 2.5M seems to be in the bag assuming the team stays in playoff contention all year.

For the Reds it is the early season and late season weekday games which is a reflection of the small local population relative to virtually every other MLB team. And having sellouts with "only 38-40K" is nice but doesn't move the needle as much as the fields with 45-46K capacity. When the locals figure out the weekends are mostly sellouts, more will plan to go to lower priced, lower hassle weekday games.

Baseball is a TV show. The TV ratings are great and the revenue is going up soon no matter whether the Reds are 17th, top 5 or bottom 5 at the gate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (06-17-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Not even in the top half.

Pathetic showing from the Cincinnati fans for a team that has been one of the best in baseball for the last four years.
    As % of seats filled, and total number of bodies, they are 14th out of 30. That's not pathetic, especially given Cincinnati's population disadvantage vs most of MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

What happened to Indians fans?

Not long ago, they filled the Jake every single night, for years.

They have a good ball club, a good manager, and are dead last in baseball attendance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    What happened to Indians fans?

Not long ago, they filled the Jake every single night, for years.

They have a good ball club, a good manager, and are dead last in baseball attendance.
    Their economy is in shambles and the team hasn't been good for years.

"So Fla Red"

Rockies (32,826), Atlanta (31027), Balt (28,028), Arizona (28,212) are decent comps for much bigger markets with contending teams.

Pitiful would be the Pirates, down 1600 a game and averaging 22,411. And the A's averaging 21,468. The Rays attendance is simply inexcusable. ANd the Indians attendance problems aren't getting any better.

I've said before that one of the Pirates/Indians will need to be moved in the next 20 years as the markets are no longer sustainable for two teams in population losing NW Ohio/Western PA. Texas needs a third team placed somewhere between Austin and San Antonio.

"So Fla Red"

Also having 10% of the franchises located in SE Wisconsin and Chicago is antiquated with <4% of the US population in that region.

Move the White Sox to Charlotte, move the Pirates to Austin/San Antonio as Texas needs an NL franchise. Move the Rays to Orlando or at least on the right side of the Tampa Bay area. Florida will be 21-22M population by 2020 and over 30M by 2050, hard to argue that two teams shouldn't be down here.

There ya go

"So Fla Red"

And the A's to within 10 meters of the Giants territorial line as close to Silicon Valley as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    And the A's to within 10 meters of the Giants territorial line as close to Silicon Valley as possible.
    I lived in the east bay and its hands down the worst stadium I have ever been to....and Giants play in one of the most beautiful.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Their economy is in shambles and the team hasn't been good for years.
    Yes but the team is better now, and you'd think those folks have a memory.

Maybe no WS winners during a great time of their history has dragged them down.

Economy, shambles? Certainly not like it was during mid 90's ( a great economic time) but all in all not too bad. Definitely, Cincy and Columbus with more diversified economies, have fared better than Cleveland. But...

Cincinnati is ranked #6, Cleveland #10, and Columbus #19 respectively in the nation for manufacturing jobs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ohio

If Ohio were a country, it would be the 24th largest global economy in the world.

Well, maybe Indians attendance will pick up now that it's summer and the kids are out of school.

Turn Off Ads?