Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB...30 teams in 30 day, Reds edition

MLB...30 teams in 30 day, Reds edition

A very nice piece on the Reds. Larkin and John Hart gave most of the commentary, and did a good job pointing out the talent and potential of the team. I'm sure Larkin was wondering where all this pitching was the last few years of his career.....but it is really amazing to look at the talented staff the team is putting out there now, and the talent they have from a pitching perspective in the minors.

Honestly, I've been wondering if I should pony up the $ again this year for MLB Extra Innings to watch the games. I will now do that first thing tomorrow. (My 8 yr old watched it with me....I asked him if I should pay the money to get the games. "Oh, you'll pay the money dad...they look great")
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB...30 teams in 30 day, Reds edition

I've recently decided to pony up the money again as well.

*sigh*

Here we go again....

I thought they did a good job. I really enjoyed the Prime 9 top Reds moments of all-time and the All-Homegrown team. I loved hearing Al Michaels' call of Johnny Bench's ninth-inning, game-tying home run against the Pirates in the 5th and deciding game of the 1972 NLCS at Riverfront. That call sends chills down my spine, as does his call of the wild pitch to win the game. I wish he still announced baseball games.

Both Barry Larkin and John Hart have the Reds making a playoff push but finishing second to the Cardinals.

Here is the MLB Network's version of the Reds All-Homegrown team.

C Johnny Bench
    1B Ted Kluszewski
    2B Pete Rose
    SS Barry Larkin
    3B Tony Perez
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Eric Davis
    RF Frank Robinson
    SP Jim Maloney
    RP John Franco

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I loved hearing Al Michaels' call of Johnny Bench's ninth-inning, game-tying home run against the Pirates in the 5th and deciding game of the 1972 NLCS at Riverfront. That call sends chills down my spine,
    I have Michael's call as the ring tone to my phone.

Btw did I hear Arroyo right when he said his dad had him working out in the gym since he was 5??? LOL

Something tells me Bronson didn't hit the weights to hard.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'll take George Foster over Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I'll take George Foster over Adam Dunn.
    George Foster wasn't homegrown. He was acquired from the Giants.

I thought they did a good job. I really enjoyed the Prime 9 top Reds moments of all-time and the All-Homegrown team. I loved hearing Al Michaels' call of Johnny Bench's ninth-inning, game-tying home run against the Pirates in the 5th and deciding game of the 1972 NLCS at Riverfront. That call sends chills down my spine, as does his call of the wild pitch to win the game. I wish he still announced baseball games.

Both Barry Larkin and John Hart have the Reds making a playoff push but finishing second to the Cardinals.

Here is the MLB Network's version of the Reds All-Homegrown team.

C Johnny Bench
    1B Ted Kluszewski
    2B Pete Rose
    SS Barry Larkin
    3B Tony Perez
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Eric Davis
    RF Frank Robinson
    SP Jim Maloney
    RP John Franco
    I didn't see it, but did they acknowledge that Franco was drafted by the Dodgers and acquired by the Reds for Rafeal Landestoy? Why not Dibble, who was completely home grown.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

George Foster wasn't homegrown. He was acquired from the Giants.
    Okay, I get it now.

Not sure what constitutes home grown. John Franco started in the Dodger organization. Shortly after he made it to the Reds, it was said that the Dodgers were building a fine bull pen. The only problem was that they were building it in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I didn't see it, but did they acknowledge that Franco was drafted by the Dodgers and acquired by the Reds for Rafeal Landestoy? Why not Dibble, who was completely home grown.
    Nope. In order to qualify for the list the player had to have been signed or drafted by the team he appears on. It looks like they overlooked John Franco. I gotta admit, I didn't know Franco was orginally drafted by the Dodgers until you mentioned it.

When I was watching the Astros version of 30/30, they mentioned the reason Jimmy Wynn was left off the Astros All-Homegrowm team because he was orginally signed by the Reds, despite spending only one season in the Reds organization, and that was in Single-A.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-24-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I've recently decided to pony up the money again as well.

*sigh*

Here we go again....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Speaking of Jimmy Wynn, how come the Reds let him get away? I know they already had Vada Pinson and Frank Robinson at the time, but why not put him in left field? I had never really heard much of him until I looked him up a few days ago. 1,665 hits, 291 homers, a .366 OBP/.436 SLG - .802 OPS. Led the league in 1969 with an amazing 148 walks. It looks like he had a great career.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-24-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Speaking of Jimmy Wynn, how come the Reds let him get away? .
    I think it was similar to the Trevor Hoffman deal. The Reds left him unprotected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wynn
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Considering they had an hour, I was quite underwhelmed. It would be great to see them to get some professional analysts in there. Actually dissect Bruce's struggles last year. Talk about Harang's mechanics. Heck, mention park effects just once.

Hart is painful to watch, and while I love Barry and would take him over Kruk or Reynolds, he's still an ex-player who strings together platitude after platitude. MLB network simply isn't delivering much in the way of interesting content right now. I can't wait until the Fantasy 411 show goes live -- Mike, Cory and the gang talk more about actual baseball during their hour of fantasy chat than most of the other coverage does...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Speaking of Jimmy Wynn, how come the Reds let him get away? I know they already had Vada Pinson and Frank Robinson at the time, but why not put him in left field? I had never really heard much of him until I looked him up a few days ago. 1,665 hits, 291 homers, a .366 OBP/.436 SLG - .802 OPS. Led the league in 1969 with an amazing 148 walks. It looks like he had a great career.
    Jimmy Wynn (The Toy Cannon) attended the same High School that I graduated from. He was gone before I got there though.

Turn Off Ads?