Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Team Claims Dunn off Waivers?

Re: Mystery Team Claims Dunn off Waivers?

Is that the chair that removed from the locker room? I now see why. Ugly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    I guess I could put it this way...If Adam Dunn was in the Reds plans he would have never been traded. It is well documented that Adam Dunn wasn't a "Leader" in the Reds young clubhouse. Are the player going to come out and bad mouth a former teammate? The answer is no but we have all hear the whispers.

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I would like him in LF if Dusty would use him correctly.

Ultimately he would bat him 6th or something completely wasting in OBP and then he would play Gomes and Dunn in the same outfield totally ruining any type of production you would get by making that move.
    The neverending defense of the Dunn fan: he batted in the wrong place in the lineup.

[QUOTE=

To this point in the season:

Adam Dunn WAR - 3.4
    Johnny Gomes WAR - 0.0

[/QUOTE]

You do know that Dunn has been playing FIRST BASE all season, right?

In other words, the Nationals are hiding Dunn's poor defensive skills, while the Reds do not have the luxury of moving Gomes to 1B. So really, comparing Gomes and Dunn (using present WAR) is really like comparing apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    You do know that Dunn has been playing FIRST BASE all season, right?

In other words, the Nationals are hiding Dunn's poor defensive skills, while the Reds do not have the luxury of moving Gomes to 1B. So really, comparing Gomes and Dunn (using present WAR) is really like comparing apples and oranges.
    WAR adjusts for first base (playing first is a larger deduction than LF...0.5 larger deduction). So Gomes actually gets an advantage playing LF, although the addition of moving to LF may be reduced by Dunn's poor play.

in other words, WAR is adjusted so you can compare players at different positions.
    Last edited by scott91575; 08-07-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    WAR adjusts for first base (playing first is a larger deduction than LF...0.5 larger deduction). So Gomes actually gets an advantage playing LF, although the addition of moving to LF may be reduced by Dunn's poor play.

in other words, WAR is adjusted so you can compare players at different positions.
    Ok I did not know that. I apologize.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    I rest my case.
    A pretty weak case you have going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    A pretty weak case you have going there.

How so? I've yet to see any proof that Dunn was bad influence in the clubhouse. Surely you're not resting your case on a lounge chair.

It really baffles me to think that anyone wanted rid of or wants nothing to do with a man that can easily hit .260 with 40 HR, 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored, a very high OBP, and an intimitading factor in your lineup, you all amaze the hell outta me, but hey, lets have Jay Bruce instead, he after all has a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    It really baffles me to think that anyone wanted rid of or wants nothing to do with a man that can easily hit .260 with 40 HR, 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored, a very high OBP, and an intimitading factor in your lineup, you all amaze the hell outta me, but hey, lets have Jay Bruce instead, he after all has a glove.
    I've read this about 10 times and still not any closer to understanding what you are saying.

I think its Adam Dunn is better than Jay Bruce or something but I cant really be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Just look at his WAR prior to this year. In the previous four (including over 2.5 with the Reds) he averaged below 2 (that is not even considered a starter). While it's not a perfect stat by any means, it shows what many of the people on here saw outside of your numbers.

I am probably one of the few people who is in between. I would not have minded to see him stay, and I didn't mind seeing him go.

Yet there is no doubt that prior to this year he was hugely overpaid and surprise, surprise....it's a contract year.
    Last edited by scott91575; 08-08-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    How so? I've yet to see any proof that Dunn was bad influence in the clubhouse. Surely you're not resting your case on a lounge chair.
    I've also never seen anywhere that Dunn was a good influence in the club house. A 10 million dollar player should be more than "just one of the guys." That's the role of the rookies and young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I've read this about 10 times and still not any closer to understanding what you are saying.

I think its Adam Dunn is better than Jay Bruce or something but I cant really be sure.
    And I'll say it 10 more times, yes Dunn is better than Bruce. Could you imagine what his numbers would be with the protection in this lineup?

RISP is more important than the made up stat called WAR!

Wins Above Replacement is a statistic that attempts to measure the "total value" of a player over a given season.

WAR calculates the total number of wins that any player adds to his team over the course of a season by comparing the player's performance with that of a fictitious replacement. A "replacement player" is assumed to be an average Triple-A callup who might appear in the majors only as replacement for an injured player, and whose hitting/fielding or pitching skills are far below league average. According to Baseball Prospectus, a team consisting entirely of replacement-level players would likely be historically bad, winning only 20-25 games over a full 162-game season.
    '

Seems to me that the REDS have had a lot more wins since replacing Adam Dunn!
    Last edited by BigJohn; 08-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    RISP is more important than the made up stat called WAR!
    So what you are saying is 100 or so PA is more important than every other thing in baseball combined?

Turn Off Ads?