Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

Re: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    So, if the strike zone will be called by computers, how will the players be alerted of the balls and strikes?
    I'd like to see a strike/ball call that is based on the technology that Finley used to deliver baseballs to the ump

One side a devil could pop out for a ball and an angel on the other side for a strike

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll warn everyone, this is the road we are going down.

So, if the strike zone will be called by computers, how will the players be alerted of the balls and strikes?
    Computer chips implanted in the brain. Either that or home plate flashing red and green.

Or maybe the umpire, who would still be on the field, giving the signal when he receives the call.

I have to admit I like the idea of home plate flashing red or green, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I have to admit I like the idea of home plate flashing red or green, though.
    I like WOY's Devil/Angel idea.

To funny.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I like WOY's Devil/Angel idea.

To funny.
    Yeah, I hadn't read this page yet. That has to be done.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Are you talking about the old Questec system that MLB used to evaluate umpires until 2008 or the more modern PITCHfx system?
    Specifically, QuesTech is the one that made that claim though it should be noted I know someone that attended the Sloan Conference this year, and Sportvision claimed accuracy for Pitch F/X at 99% accurate "within an inch." But using that standard, one could conclude that it's probably not much better than the QuesTech results as far as identifying the zone. The only difference is that the error seems to be less.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Many, many years ago, before the technology was available, I suggested to someone that a system should be worked out to call balls and strikes electronically so that a strike was a strike no matter who the umpire, the pitcher, or the catcher was. I remember deciding this couldn't happen because the umpires wouldn't allow it.
    Was this before or after you created the internet Mr. Gore???

I think we should have the managers hand their lineup cards to a bunch geeks who then go down into their respective basements and then simulate the game 10,000 times through the use of metrics that nobody can calculate to determine the winner. Let's take all the entertainment out of the game and all the tradition while we are at it...

Bum

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I think we should have the managers hand their lineup cards to a bunch geeks who then go down into their respective basements and then simulate the game 10,000 times through the use of metrics that nobody can calculate to determine the winner. Let's take all the entertainment out of the game and all the tradition while we are at it...

Bum
    Things like this drive me nuts. Players still play the games. Tradition is nice and all when it doesn't change the outcome of what the players on the field actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Things like this drive me nuts. Players still play the games. Tradition is nice and all when it doesn't change the outcome of what the players on the field actually did.
    I'm sure a lot of what I think drives you nuts. I like baseball. I liked baseball better in the 80's and 90's. The more that is changed with the game the less I like the game, because it is no longer the game it was meant to be. The umpires are a part of the game and always have been.

To be fair, the strike zone is set each game by the umpire. The rule book guides the umpire, but in the end the umpire makes his own interpretation and makes the calls accordingly. The players that aren't brainless pick this up rather easily. Obviously when a team is losing, they need someone to blame; enter the easiest person that's part of the game: the umpire. I think if you are that concerned with the calls being what YOU consider to be right, then you should just stick to video games, but then again I have heard how the video game umpires suck too...who knows?

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I thought the link would go to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFIVb...eature=related

As I am sure your opinion drives others nuts. Just because how he feels is different from yours, doesn't mean it is unimportant.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I'm sure a lot of what I think drives you nuts. I like baseball. I liked baseball better in the 80's and 90's. The more that is changed with the game the less I like the game, because it is no longer the game it was meant to be. The umpires are a part of the game and always have been.

To be fair, the strike zone is set each game by the umpire. The rule book guides the umpire, but in the end the umpire makes his own interpretation and makes the calls accordingly. The players that aren't brainless pick this up rather easily. Obviously when a team is losing, they need someone to blame; enter the easiest person that's part of the game: the umpire. I think if you are that concerned with the calls being what YOU consider to be right, then you should just stick to video games, but then again I have heard how the video game umpires suck too...who knows?

Bum
    It isn't what I consider a strike. It is what the rulebook considers a strike. You know that blacks weren't allowed in the game at one time. It had always been that way. They changed the baseball at one time. They added helmets. They added MORE umpires. They changed the rules on a home run (ground rule doubles used to be home runs). They changed the rules on the height of the mound. Baseball has changed a whole lot and 99% of it has been for the better of the game.

The rules of the strikezone are an exact measurement. It shouldn't fluctuate based on how someone catches the ball (outside of the strikezone BTW). It should only fluctuate based on the height of the batters knees and the batters upper strikezone point. Not because someone is a rookie. Not because someone said something to the ump. Not because someone looked at the ump funny. Not because someone is a veteran pitcher.

The rules of the strikezone are an exact measurement. It shouldn't fluctuate based on how someone catches the ball (outside of the strikezone BTW). It should only fluctuate based on the height of the batters knees and the batters upper strikezone point. Not because someone is a rookie. Not because someone said something to the ump. Not because someone looked at the ump funny. Not because someone is a veteran pitcher.
    The above is only your perception of what happens or why strikes that YOU don't think are strikes are called such. Everybody in the stands and at home having a beer or 12 on their couch thinks they are an umpire. It's comical really. At this point you have a system that is 97% accurate when umpires at times are 98% accurate based on something that a 97% accurate systems says...Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me.

And don't give me that in 80 games Jose Molina saved 50 runs by moving his mitt into the strikezone. That's horsesh!t. You have no idea if that is a strike the umpire called a strike for both teams the entire game or not. There is no way for anybody to pick out one pitch and say "yeah, Molina got that only because he snapped his glove into the strikezone." That's pure conjecture from the guy who created his "analysis" and from you, the guy getting pulled around by his tongue...why do you get fooled by every new stat that comes out? There is absolutely no way for this guy to know what he is saying is true or not. Pure conjecture and you are eating it up. Why?

Bum

As I am sure your opinion drives others nuts. Just because how he feels is different from yours, doesn't mean it is unimportant.
    Actually what was done was someone taking an argument to an illogical extreme to try to ridicule the oppositions opinion and therefore make their own argument seem like the only reasonable position. It is a poor debate tactic and usually used when real points against a position can not be made.

I can respect someones opinion that they don't want an automated ball/strike. I can respect their reasons behind not wanting it, but I can't respect an illogical argument.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?