Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The NFC North will be competitive this year

The NFC North will be competitive this year

It looks like Detroit, Green Bay, and Minnesota have improved and Chicago has fallen back a bit. I am a Bears fan, but their running back is unimpressive and their quarterback needs a lot of work. Their defense will keep them in most games, but I don't think they will find it as easy in the NFC North as they have in the past. I expect it will be a dogfight in the NFC North this year, and their may even be a team to come out of that division as a wild card. In any case, it will be interesting to watch the NFC North this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The NFC North will be competitive this year

The NFC north/NFC, in general, are still awful. The Bears are 4-11 in their last 15 games vs. the AFC. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a Super Bowl team.

Any team could win the NFC North and it wouldn't be terribly surprising. You can't say that about the other divisions.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Hey, Kitna gauranteed 10 wins for the Lions...he's 1/10th of the way there.

I don't see it....

It is going to be a long year for a Bears fan like myself. The Pack is unbeaten and the Bears are struggling to play .500 ball. Right now it looks like Detroit and Green Bay will fight for the division, but it is still early and a lot of things could still change.

I've been a lifelong Viking fan and for years it was all offense, no defense. With a simply mediocre defense there should have been at least one trip to the Super Bowl during the Denny Green Era, but it seemed like some catastrophe always befell those teams no matter what.

Now, a few years and a couple coaches later it looks like the Vikings finally have the defense that everyone was clamoring for a few years ago. The problem now is that the offense is absolutely pitiful and if it weren't for Adrian Peterson I don't know that they'd have any offensive touchdowns yet this season. Personally, I'd rather go back to the all-offense no-defense approach. At least those games were fun to watch. This 13-10 stuff is getting old.

As far as the division is concerned I begrudgingly admit that it looks like Green Bay is the clear favorite after what happened in Chicago last night. As much as I hate Favre and the Packers it looks like they have the most balanced team. I don't think they'll get very far if they do make the playoffs because of the complete lack of a running game, but it's likely enough to win this division. Detroit is interesting because they have so many playmakers on both sides of the football but they are the Lions afterall and they just seem incapable of putting it all together for a full season regardless of who the coach is. Fun to watch though.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Your optimism is laudable, but I am not in agreement that the Vikings have improved. Their offense lacks playmakers (except for Peterson) and it is also mistake-prone. Their defense is good, but not so dominant as to make up for the lack of offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Your optimism is laudable, but I am not in agreement that the Vikings have improved. Their offense lacks playmakers (except for Peterson) and it is also mistake-prone. Their defense is good, but not so dominant as to make up for the lack of offense.
    I really like their defense, but you're right. Their offense has no playmakers. I think they would be awesome with JaMarcus Russell. In that dome they need somebody with an absolute cannon. Him and Peterson would be a terrific group for years to come. Too bad it's just a pipe dream.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

The Chicago Tribune just mentioned the Bears will start Brian Griese at QB next week. He will win 13 straight games and the Bears will win the division and make the Super Bowl again. Back in the real world, I hope he does a good job and the Bears make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Chicago Tribune just mentioned the Bears will start Brian Griese at QB next week. He will win 13 straight games and the Bears will win the division and make the Super Bowl again. Back in the real world, I hope he does a good job and the Bears make the playoffs.
    I hope he does good too. As much as I like Peyton Manning, I couldn't watch him win the superbowl last year. The NFC is just in it to let the AFC win the superbowl.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?